For all the kool-aid drinkers, Sip serves up something else

I will just never understand why people are so convinced that Scott wants to run some sort of finesse gimmicky system. The guy grew up in a state built on power football, won a NC on a team built on power football, and played safety in a power football oriented defense in the NFL. He then learned some offensive ideas from a innovative offensive minded coach. So, of his 40 years of life, he was ingrained w/ power physical football for almost 30 of it, yet people want to think that a few years learning from Kelly sells him on princy prance gimmick ball. False. The guy knows physicality is the key and he is working on that with every move he makes. That said, a physical mentality and physique doesn't happen in a week or two, yet a gimmick play can, so he's been forced to use what he has for now on the surface and build toward what he wants underneath. Scott knows he wants a mean physical team on the field, to think otherwise is silly. 

• Plus1 7

7 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I will just never understand why people are so convinced that Scott wants to run some sort of finesse gimmicky system. The guy grew up in a state built on power football, won a NC on a team built on power football, and played safety in a power football oriented defense in the NFL. He then learned some offensive ideas from a innovative offensive minded coach. So, of his 40 years of life, he was ingrained w/ power physical football for almost 30 of it, yet people want to think that a few years learning from Kelly sells him on princy prance gimmick ball. False. The guy knows physicality is the key and he is working on that with every move he makes. That said, a physical mentality and physique doesn't happen in a week or two, yet a gimmick play can, so he's been forced to use what he has for now on the surface and build toward what he wants underneath. Scott knows he wants a mean physical team on the field, to think otherwise is silly. 

Then why didn’t they run the “I” more? If he wants power, he has to run power not side ways stuff. I hope Frost brings some of the old power sets back to extend drives and score TDS in the red zone. 

1 minute ago, KCBuc said:

Then why didn’t they run the “I” more? If he wants power, he has to run power not side ways stuff. I hope Frost brings some of the old power sets back to extend drives and score TDS in the red zone. 

If you're defining "power football" based on the formation, then you're never going to be happy with Frost. We do a lot of pulling lineman and downhill blocking, and if that doesn't qualify as power football to you I dunno what to say. It's not exclusively power football, but it's a lot of what we do. We're just not doing it particularly well.

• Plus1 5

I don't understand how people are saying Frost wants some sort of gimmicky side to side, fairy football offense. That flies directly in the face of everything he has said since he arrived in Lincoln. We didn't have the guys to run any sort of power run game early in the season and by the time our OL came around we had one healthy RB, a stable of injured QBs and likely Frost had developed tendencies based on successes they'd found earlier in the year.

Did everyone on this board forget how everyone bashed Scott for trying to run inside zone to death early in the season when it would go for no yards or a loss? The same people arguing we run some soft offense were pissed when we kept pounding our RBs into a line that couldn't block with a RB who couldn't see the hole (if it existed) early in the year.

Frost's offense, including the power part, is predicated on being able to get defenses out matched and under manned. We couldn't do that this year because at various points in the year we had bad OL play, bad QB play, bad WR play, bad RB play, no deep threat, no inside zone and any number of issues that mostly exist because of a lack of depth and talent.

Teams learned that they could stop our inside zone and deep passing game with their base defense or less. So, they committed extra guys to stopping screens and we couldn't punish them because we still had no inside zone or deep threat. With the right guys we can pound it inside and when they commit to stopping that we spread it out and beat them on the perimeter or over the top. We didn't have the ability to consistently do that this year.

Also, the one time we had success with the FB this year everyone seems to forget that tOSU used a SINGLE time out to correct their defense and shut it down. When we came back to it later in the game or later in the year we were stuffed at the line or in the backfield every time.

• Plus1 4
56 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I wonder if people realize that if those "cute" plays or bubble screens, worked even a little bit more than they do now, or say 50% or 75% of the time, no one would complain.

But they didnt work 50% or 75% of the time. They worked like 1%. 

If we ran the ball 50% better no one would complain. 

If we threw the ball 50% better deep no one would complain. 

If we tackled 50% better no one would complain. 

If we allowed 50% less points no one would complain. 

Its pretty obvious most teams would love to do everything 50% better. 

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Seemed to work pretty well when we had the right player running it and good blocking. 

• Plus1 7
6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I know they didn't work as much as we liked. I understand that, my point is that all this b!tching wouldn't be happening. Hell even 25% may even be enough. It's a very effective play when ran well as @PasstheDamnBallGuy stated. Need the right guy and effective blocking.

3 hours ago, lo country said:

The point being how would a high octane O do against a traditional B1G defense.  They lost.

This is.... the dumbest take I've read in 2020 :lol:

24 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

Then why didn’t they run the “I” more? If he wants power, he has to run power not side ways stuff. 

"Power" is not determined by what formation and what direction you're running. 

Guess what? The option is a sideways play lol. 

• Plus1 5
1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

I wonder if people realize that if those "cute" plays or bubble screens, worked even a little bit more than they do now, or say 50% or 75% of the time, no one would complain.

Just like throwing a sideline pass from the 1 yard line on first down?  No, that will always bug the heck out of me.

It amazes me that fans b!^@h about running bubble screens.  It's not the play itself that is the problem, it's having the players in place to execute them that's the problem.  No Mo, bad WR blocking on the edge, bad interior line blocking and no down field threat.

That, I believe is being taken care of in recruiting.

• Plus1 5

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It amazes me that fans b!^@h about running bubble screens.  It's not the play itself that is the problem, it's having the players in place to execute them that's the problem.  No Mo, bad WR blocking on the edge, bad interior line blocking and no down field threat.

That, I believe is being taken care of in recruiting.

The other thing that bubble screens and other "cute plays" do is force the defense to play more honest.  I liken it to all of the jet sweeps and fake jet sweeps which Wisconsin uses heavily in their offense.  The offense is designed for various plays to work off of each other.  The "cute plays" are designed to make the "power plays" work better.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

at various points in the year we had bad OL play, bad QB play, bad WR play, bad RB play, no deep threat, no inside zone and any number of issues that mostly exist because of a lack of depth and talent.

Really, I think you could cut that down to bad OL play (especially early in the season) and no deep threat. Almost all of our other problems on offense stemmed from those two. I mean, I wouldn't say that we had bad WR play - Spielman and Wan'Dale were pretty great at what they do. Problem is, neither is much of a deep threat - we didn't have a real replacement for Stanley. Hopefully someone emerges for that role next season.

As for the OL, well, I was saying all year that they were really inexperienced for an OL, and thus I expected them to continue to suck most of the year. OLs take more time to develop and gel as a unit than anything else on a team. But the flipside is that in the long-term, the same players could improve substantially. I think we started to see some of that toward the end of the year. What's as interesting as anything is how few O linemen we took in this recruiting class - hopefully that means Frost feels good about his current players' potential in the long-term. Question is, just how 'long-term' do we need to look before the OL starts to look like what Frost wants?

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, lo country said:

And who won again?????????????????  That would be Penn St.....  Who cares what Memphis "did".  Their high powered O, while moving the ball failed to win against a traditional B1G power........That was my point.  Trying to argue what the losing team did is probably "one of the dumbest posts in this thread".....

The entire point of your post was that Frost and his staff need to “do soul searching” about the scheme they’re running on O. But let’s move the goalposts when you’re presented with facts that poke holes in your silly point. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The other thing that bubble screens and other "cute plays" do is force the defense to play more honest.  I liken it to all of the jet sweeps and fake jet sweeps which Wisconsin uses heavily in their offense.  The offense is designed for various plays to work off of each other.  The "cute plays" are designed to make the "power plays" work better.

One great thing about our offenses in the 80s and 90s was that the defense needed to defend from sideline to sideline.  And, we ran a power run offense.  Plays like bubble screens do somewhat the same thing as our old option plays.  They actually get the ball out to the perimeter faster.  However, just like those old option plays, we have to have the players to run them and good execution.  It seems like some fans think that power football is just running between the tackles with a fullback.

• Plus1 4