For all the kool-aid drinkers, Sip serves up something else

6 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

hmmm, seems like ohio state has been able to do that just fine against all those teams u mentioned.  

Let's play devils advocate here... u have your way and frost is gone, who are you bringing in thats instilling this culture and performance u want in all of 2 years?  Clearly patience isn't a strong suit of yours, and after you reply, im confident your realistic football expectations probably isnt a strong suit either

You can’t compare NU to OSU we are light tears from them.  Their talent is off the charts.  

I hope Frost makes it, I really do.  But what I seen so far has me doubtful he can or will adjust to the B10.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Who exactly figured out how to defend it?  His last year at Oregon they were 12-1 and won the Fiesta Bowl.  His  four years as head coach they were 46-7 with appearances in three New Year's Six games plus the National Championship game.  They were a Top 5 team his last three years.

Unless you're talking about NFL teams "figuring it out".  Fortunately I don't see and NFC teams on our schedule any time soon.

I assume he's talking about the small handful of times Stanford beat them and that 2015 title game. But what you're saying is what I was trying to convey to him earlier, yes.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Who exactly figured out how to defend it?  His last year at Oregon they were 12-1 and won the Fiesta Bowl.  His  four years as head coach they were 46-7 with appearances in three New Year's Six games plus the National Championship game.  They were a Top 5 team his last three years.

Unless you're talking about NFL teams "figuring it out".  Fortunately I don't see and NFC teams on our schedule any time soon.

Unfortunately we don’t have a time machine or Chip Kelly.  

He isn’t exactly tearing it up a UCLA.  Is he?  

Who knows maybe the B10 will adjust to us after all.  Time will tell.

This whole conversation is so weird. LSU, literally this year, switched from the physical ground and pound offense to the cute soft spread offense and they are in the National Championship. Some people argue the SEC is more power than the B1G and LSU demolished their way through it. I really don't think the scheme is the problem. Our ability to be physical is and that is taking recruiting and more S&C to fix.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, SFW said:

But what I seen so far has me doubtful he can or will adjust to the B10.  

What I've seen of your posts has me doubtful that you can carry this conversation, honestly. You originally said that scheme was the problem, and pointed to Oregon losing one game as evidence.

Then you're saying it works if you have enough talent. Those two things are in contradiction to each other.

Just now, SFW said:

Ah, the classic change the subject when you don't want to answer the question.  Nice.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, SFW said:

Ummm....maybe he hasn't had the athletes in place yet at UCLA just like Scott here?

:dunno

Just spitballing here.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I think this is a fallacy. Old school Oregon offense would do just fine in any conference. It just has to be matched with a physical defensive style a la the likes of Wisconsin & Iowa.

But the crux of our current issue is the offensive line. Maybe people get tired of talking about this point because it's so basic. Our offensive line was nowhere close to the level of, say, the top 6 teams in the conference this season. Both run blocking and pass blocking sucked for the first 3/4 of the year.

This is why this is a 4-5 year fix. Once these big, talented, young offensive line recruits are ready to play, the entire outlook changes. It's really hard to say in my opinion how much of a good jump our OL could realistically make by next season - my guess is not that much. But in 2021 I think we have a good chance of winning the West.

Like you mentioned though, Frost brought in A TON of lineman so far.  I agree that our Line should be pretty good by 21'.  I think it should be quite a bit better next year also though.  We got so many young lineman, SOME of them have to develop well.  And we know Corcoran and Jurgens are gonna be good.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, SFW said:

You can’t compare NU to OSU we are light tears from them.  Their talent is off the charts.  

I hope Frost makes it, I really do.  But what I seen so far has me doubtful he can or will adjust to the B10.  

While I agree our talent isnt on OSU level and never will be, we also have quite a talent advantage over the likes of the teams u mentioned outside of in the trenches.  So to say that we will never top those teams unless we are a physical, plodding offense is simply not true, specially in today's game.  

I wouldnt be so quick to give up on frosty though.  He just reel'ed in one of the greatest recruiting classes in our progrums history after a subpar year.  Imagine what might fall into place once we start stringing together, 8, 9 10 win seasons?  He has his faults but its not like there is a logical plan B... I'm not signing up for another culture change and philosophy chance when we've been doing that failed experiment since 2002

11 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This whole conversation is so weird. LSU, literally this year, switched from the physical ground and pound offense to the cute soft spread offense and they are in the National Championship. Some people argue the SEC is more power than the B1G and LSU demolished their way through it. I really don't think the scheme is the problem. Our ability to be physical is and that is taking recruiting and more S&C to fix.

lol, this conversation is weird because SFW is moving dem goal posts as he see's fit.

I was going to bring up LSU as a prime example but i think the disclaimer with them is they were always a QB/more modern offense away from being the consistent juggernaut we've seen this year.  The talent defensively and at skill positions theyve had is unreal, just took a coordinator/offesnive philosphy change mixed with a lot of luck in the qb department to come together... I think offesnively frost has the chops to have that offense, but doesnt have the horses yet, that is given at a school like LSU

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Undone said:

I think this is a fallacy. Old school Oregon offense would do just fine in any conference. It just has to be matched with a physical defensive style a la the likes of Wisconsin & Iowa.

But the crux of our current issue is the offensive line. Maybe people get tired of talking about this point because it's so basic. Our offensive line was nowhere close to the level of, say, the top 6 teams in the conference this season. Both run blocking and pass blocking sucked for the first 3/4 of the year.

This is why this is a 4-5 year fix. Once these big, talented, young offensive line recruits are ready to play, the entire outlook changes. It's really hard to say in my opinion how much of a good jump our OL could realistically make by next season - my guess is not that much. But in 2021 I think we have a good chance of winning the West.

I don't disagree with this at all.

I would simply like to ask the "greatest fans on earth" how we could be so stupid then to think we were going to win 8 or more games this year or the year before.  To call this the "red Kool-aid" syndrome is putting it very kind.  What were the 9-3 or 10-2 crowd on?  :-)  

If the past few years has taught our fan base anything I hope it is that the OL and DL's along with Defense makes a football team, not the skill guys.  Those guys come after the core is built.

• Fire 1
59 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Quick reference guide for "cuteness""

If play doesn't = touchdown or 235 pound RB trying to run over someone, it's "too cute".

Too cute is not even getting close to getting into the end zone on 1st and goal from the 1 yard line......but that never happened right?  Or 1st and goal and a pick 6 goes the other way, that can’t be too cute either as I’m sure Scotty never had either happen.

• Thanks 1