OT Javario Burkes

Player: Javario Burkes

Hometown: Phoenix, AZ

Position: OL

Height: 6’5”

Weight: 312

40 time: 5.78

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Arizona State, Georgia, Nebraska, Oregon, Oregon State, Michigan, Tennessee, USC

Favorites: Committed to Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: #5/ :star:star:star:star

Bid Red Report: #22/ :star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: Prototype OT for West Coast. All the majors want him.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 100% Coach Callahan loves this kid. Nice long arms and quick feet

Jaivorio Burkes

OL 6-5 315 Phoenix, Ariz. - Moon Valley HS

“The fans were the most impressive. Nebraska has been sold out for 280 games—80,000 fans at each game. That’s pretty awesome. The crowd was shouting my name as I walked onto the field. Their facilities are top notch and the weight room is brand new. It’s amazing. I can’t even describe it.”

• 2 weeks later...

hello, NU got an unofficial visit from burkes - who in return gave his NU visit a 10!:

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=551...2%2f551034.html

http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=566010

p.s. he was just going to visit ia unofficially - yet, decided to also visit NU - & I love the fact that he left NU very impressed (10!)

doesnt a guy that big seem like he should have a higher bench rep count? I don't pay a whole lot of attention to that because our conditioning program will get the most out of the kid, but it seems to me there are WR and CB's that do at least 18, or is there a different weight for the reps at different positions??. nonetheless he seems like a great prospect.

Wow, that kid has great potential. His arms are extremely long, and more importantly he uses them well. He needs to work a little on his quickness, but its nothing a red shirt year couldnt take care off. This guy might be the best o lineman of this class. He has great technique, and has the size and toughness (watch how many guys push him after the play due to his tough play), to be a great one... I really want him

Maybe it's just me, but he sure is a long way from a finished product.

1. Leg strength. Considering how much larger he is than the defenders against whom he was playing, it is remarkable how many times he actually either got rocked back or was stood up straight when he met his man. Forget arm strength - I'd like to know what he does on squats. I suspect that's the area on which he'll have to work in the weight room.

2. Pad level. He tends to rise up too high coming out of his stance. It's sort of related to number 1 - instead of keeping his pads low and driving through the defender, he tends to stand up too straight, making it possible for the smaller defender to actually drive him back occassionally.

3. Conditioning. He seems to get winded pretty easily - either that, or he takes plays off. A lot of times, he's driving his guy until the whistle. Others, he's hitting, making an initial push, and then stopping - well before the play ends.

4. Technique. Related to number 3. Right now, he's pretty much engulfing the defender. It works in high school - it won't work in college. He's not keeping a good spread on his feet - they get too close togther a lot of time.

Now, I'm not saying we don't want him or that he won't be a great addition - I just don't think he's anywhere near being the kind of kid that can step onto the field as a freshman (and possibly even as a redshirt freshman) and do the job. Good prospect - but it'll be a couple of years before he's ready, IMO. I suspect that his ranking is a recognition of his measurables and his potential - not his current ability.

Maybe it's just me, but he sure is a long way from a finished product.

1. Leg strength. Considering how much larger he is than the defenders against whom he was playing, it is remarkable how many times he actually either got rocked back or was stood up straight when he met his man. Forget arm strength - I'd like to know what he does on squats. I suspect that's the area on which he'll have to work in the weight room.

2. Pad level. He tends to rise up too high coming out of his stance. It's sort of related to number 1 - instead of keeping his pads low and driving through the defender, he tends to stand up too straight, making it possible for the smaller defender to actually drive him back occassionally.

3. Conditioning. He seems to get winded pretty easily - either that, or he takes plays off. A lot of times, he's driving his guy until the whistle. Others, he's hitting, making an initial push, and then stopping - well before the play ends.

4. Technique. Related to number 3. Right now, he's pretty much engulfing the defender. It works in high school - it won't work in college. He's not keeping a good spread on his feet - they get too close togther a lot of time.

Now, I'm not saying we don't want him or that he won't be a great addition - I just don't think he's anywhere near being the kind of kid that can step onto the field as a freshman (and possibly even as a redshirt freshman) and do the job. Good prospect - but it'll be a couple of years before he's ready, IMO. I suspect that his ranking is a recognition of his measurables and his potential - not his current ability.

Nice breakdown AR!

I actually agree with you AR.... the reason that I am excited about this kid is his potential... He is no where near ready to come in and just play. He needs a red shirt year at least. He needs to get in shape and refine his technique as far as staying low and driving. What looks good to me is the fact that he has very long arms and is adept at using them to keep defenders from getting into his body. Watch those plays and tell me the number of times the defender turns him, or gets him off balance to the left or right. You cant teach or train that. That is talent. He does need to get into the weight room here, but im telling you, he could be a great one.

I actually agree with you AR.... the reason that I am excited about this kid is his potential... He is no where near ready to come in and just play. He needs a red shirt year at least. He needs to get in shape and refine his technique as far as staying low and driving. What looks good to me is the fact that he has very long arms and is adept at using them to keep defenders from getting into his body. Watch those plays and tell me the number of times the defender turns him, or gets him off balance to the left or right. You cant teach or train that. That is talent. He does need to get into the weight room here, but im telling you, he could be a great one.

Oh, I don't disagree at all - a prototype left tackle. The ingredients are all there - it's just a matter of coaching.

Being that size in high school, it's easy to fall into bad habits - relying on size alone and not picking up the technique or intensity needed in college. The good news is everything I noted is relatively easily correctable.

He won't be an immediate starter, and he won't set the world on fire right away, but with a couple of years of coaching and weight training, and he has the potential to be a very good one.