Jovan DeWitt hired by UNC

knapplc

1 minute ago, flatwaterfan said:

Coach Austin has some recruiting ties to Texas.   I believe in the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Maybe so but we didn’t seem to draw too much out of a state with literally thousands of prospects.  IMO.  Sure there is competition all over but the elites go all over anyway.  The in state competition is certainly not what it once was based on the teams not in the top ten.  

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I bet he was also tired of putting up with Bo. 

It's possible, but I bet he and Bo had a great relationship.  Bo may have had a poor sideline demeanor, but I bet he had strong friendships with his coaches.  I would think that Bo gave Indiana a recommendation for Ekeler to get the Co-DC job there.

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Maybe so but we didn’t seem to draw too much out of a state with literally thousands of prospects.  IMO.  Sure there is competition all over but the elites go all over anyway.  The in state competition is certainly not what it once was based on the teams not in the top ten.  

I think the problem is at the end of the day, a lot of Texas kids want to stay there. Sure, some will go to Oklahoma, Bama, or LSU, but they have a ton of options in state - even if some of those programs are down right now. We're down further than most of them.

I don't think there is anyone we could hire right now who would make us a major recruiting player in Texas. I think pulling guys like Banks and Nixon and occasionally a guy like Manning is just what Texas is for us right now, and I think that's fine. It would be nice to have more pull there, but if we can keep hitting Florida/Georgia/Alabama like we have been I'm ok with it.

3 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Not when you don't have many options.

Winter in NC is barely winter compared to most places really.  They rarely get snow and temps seldom get much below 30 for more than a few days at a time.  They have less ugly summers too. 
Atlantic coast helps a bunch.  If bitter cold air is tough for him with health issues it may be a great deal for him.  Job maybe sideways but he’s gaining experience and adding to the resume.   Mac brown is a good boss in many ways I’d say.  

20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's possible, but I bet he and Bo had a great relationship.  Bo may have had a poor sideline demeanor, but I bet he had strong friendships with his coaches.  I would think that Bo gave Indiana a recommendation for Ekeler to get the Co-DC job there.

I remember hearing when things weren’t going well Mike was at times, bo’s punching bag. Who knows if true. 

• Plus1 1