Jovan DeWitt hired by UNC

knapplc

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...is there anything to the Dawson discussion other than fans on here claiming he would be a good hire?

Is there actual credible rumors that Frost is looking at him?

Sean Callahan was already speculating last week that Dawson would be an option to return.

Just now, theknife said:

Love the dude as a player, but he has a very limited resume as a coach. 

Definitely a special teams background though! But all (10 years) as an assistant special teams coach. I think adding a little more experience to the staff would be nice, but not exactly a rising star. College might be his best opportunity to move up to a position coach I suppose. I would be surprised if it's a former player though, there's a lot of coaching talent out there and the majority didn't play here.

He also hasn’t coached D1 ball right? Or even college ball in general? 

what’s the fascination of hiring husker grads if they are underprepared for the task ahead just because they played here? For sure if they have a good resume they should get first priority but..come on. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I’d think if recruiting ties were a main consideration in addition to being a good coach of ST and or LBs, then let’s find a good Texas recruiter. We seem to have good contacts with FL, GA, AB, CA, CO, MN, IA, KS, OK, etc but are missing Texas.  Texas added to the above is God’S plenty I’d think.  

Recruiting ties to MS and the Southeast would be nice as well.  Ole Miss is facing a rebuild with Kiffin and State will have a new coach with the decline from Mullen to Moorhead in Starkville.  When the two big programs in the state are down, there's an opportunity there IMO.

Just now, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Recruiting ties to MS and the Southeast would be nice as well.  Ole Miss is facing a rebuild with Kiffin and State will have a new coach with the decline from Mullen to Moorhead in Starkville.  When the two big programs in the state are down, there's an opportunity there IMO.

Kiffin is gonna fight us for a lot of these Alabama, Georgia, and Florida guys that are fringe 3 and 4 stars. They aren’t a top tier program. More like 2nd tier (as are we). Prepare for a lot of battles ahead with them! 

1 minute ago, Decked said:

He also hasn’t coached D1 ball right? Or even college ball in general? 

what’s the fascination of hiring husker grads if they are underprepared for the task ahead just because they played here? For sure if they have a good resume they should get first priority but..come on. 

I get the sentiment, but should Polk be penalized as a potential coaching candidate because he spent his 20's in the NFL instead of working his way up through the ranks in college football?

I am not saying Polk is the right guy, but he has spent 10+ years in the NFL.  Special teams coaches in the NFL are extremely knowledgeable because they have to grab guys from all over the roster, especially the last guys to make the roster to make the special teams successful.

• Fire 2

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get the sentiment, but should Polk be penalized as a potential coaching candidate because he spent his 20's in the NFL instead of working his way up through the ranks in college football?

I am not saying Polk is the right guy, but he has spent 10+ years in the NFL.  Special teams coaches in the NFL are extremely knowledgeable because they have to grab guys from all over the roster, especially the last guys to make the roster to make the special teams successful.

He also had a phenomenal special teams career in the NFL - never really got the opportunity to start, but obviously knows the importance. Looking at it more I wouldn't hate the hire, as long as Frost feels like some combination of Ruud/Tuioti/Chins can handle the OLBs. At UCF they didn't have a specific OLB coach, so there is precedent - I'd assume Polk would also contribute with the LBs though.

Downside could be no recruiting experience, but he's relatively young and played in the league - assuming he's a decent dude, those factors alone are big. Not gonna lie, when his name was thrown out thought it was just pulling a former LBs name out of nowhere - but if special teams is the primary role they're looking to fill, he fits the bill.

EDIT: Might also be looking for a job since he was with the Cowboys this year.

28 minutes ago, Decked said:

Kiffin is gonna fight us for a lot of these Alabama, Georgia, and Florida guys that are fringe 3 and 4 stars. They aren’t a top tier program. More like 2nd tier (as are we). Prepare for a lot of battles ahead with them! 

Frost should challenge Kiffin to a cage match and the winner can't go after the same recruits. I'd take Frost all day in that!