Jovan DeWitt's Replacement

Just now, San Diego Husker said:

I see a "He's gone" tread but not a who is his replacement tread. 

so far I have heard Bill Bush and the D-line Coach that left us for NY as possible replacements.  anything else?

Sean Callahan said last week that Dawson was fairly likely and said again today that "all signs point" to him being back.

1 minute ago, San Diego Husker said:

Think at this point,  I would settle for an average coach who is a tier one level recruiter.  a good coach is a sub-par recruiter isn't what we need at this time.

I dunno - recruiting has been really good, and I don't think Dewitt was an ace recruiter or anything. On field performance has been bad, and while some of that could be fixed with good recruiting I'd focus on the best coach and any recruiting skill is a bonus. I'd also think the special teams piece of the role will be the priority, since Tuioti and Chinander have OLB coaching experience, and Ruud is currently only responsible for 2 players on the field.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, San Diego Husker said:

Think at this point,  I would settle for an average coach who is a tier one level recruiter.  a good coach is a sub-par recruiter isn't what we need at this time.

I get recruiting is important, and I definitely don't want a "sub-par" recruiter, but I think the special teams and OLB's need such an upgrade that the coaching aspect is very important.  As commented by others, I wouldn't mind a dedicated ST coach and have the OLB's absorbed by other coaches.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Husker in WI said:

I dunno - recruiting has been really good, and I don't think Dewitt was an ace recruiter or anything. On field performance has been bad, and while some of that could be fixed with good recruiting I'd focus on the best coach and any recruiting skill is a bonus. I'd also think the special teams piece of the role will be the priority, since Tuioti and Chinander have OLB coaching experience, and Ruud is currently only responsible for 2 players on the field.

Guess I gotten to recruiting is pretty much everything frame of mind (ok, development is high on my list too).  I don't want a so-so coach by any stretch.  a chain is as good as its weakest link.  I think DeWitt is a good coach, I don't think he was happy in Lincoln after he took the same job for same $$ somewhere else where I don't think it snows much (could be wrong on that one).

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just don't get the attitude of claiming we just need to hire someone who is an "ace recruiter" and not worry if they are an actual good coach.  

We just saw in OLB and ST what happens when they aren't getting the coaching they need.

We need someone who is good at both.

I would prioritize coaching over recruiting right now. 

• Plus1 1