Jovan DeWitt's Replacement

Don’t blame Dewitt for kicking mishaps last year that exceeded even the most nightmarish of expectations. But if the Huskers had a coach dedicated for 12 months in 2019 to providing oversight on special teams without worries about a position group, would it have ever escalated to that point with the kickers?

Nebraska was among two programs in the Big Ten West last season that asked their special-teams coordinators to coach another position. In this division, seven teams search daily for the slim advantages that can make the difference between first and worst.

The margin is that small. Just ask Northwestern.

Special teams take on added importance in such a scenario. Nebraska ranked 107th in kickoff returns and 65th in punt returns. Kickoffs taken back for touchdowns by Wisconsin and Iowa at Memorial Stadium flipped momentum against the Huskers, desperate against both foes for a victory that could have changed the season’s narrative.

For Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa, Nebraska’s most notable peers, one coach works exclusively with special teams. At all three schools, offensive and defensive coordinators handle a position.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if, or where stats are kept for this....But I noticed more than a few games this season (both NFL and College)...There wasn't a single kickoff in several games without a resulting penalty.  

I seem to recall rumors going around about eliminating kickoffs for increased player safety, but is it possible that they're trying to make it a boring non-factor in the meantime?

6 hours ago, San Diego Husker said:

Think at this point,  I would settle for an average coach who is a tier one level recruiter.  a good coach is a sub-par recruiter isn't what we need at this time.

I think we have had a few good recruiting classes but are struggling with coaching acumen and player development. I would go for someone that can coach up the players and maximize their performance over a guy that may lack those qualities but be good at recruiting. 

Let me mix some metaphors:

We dont have the horses to run with the big dogs.

We get some horses , and all of a sudden, the coaches seem a lot smarter.

We get some horses on the OL, and all of a sudden the coaches are geniuses. 

Your a genius,  your a genius,  your a genius,  everyone's a genius. 

tenor (5).gif

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, hskrfan4life said:

So if we want a dedicated ST coach we need someone else to pick up a position. To be honest I think having just a ST would do wonders.

I agree a ST coach would be helpful especially in the BIG where defenses are strong and field position is everything.

On another note, what exaxtly is Troy Walters doing as it feels like Frost runs the offense. Perhaps Walters can double up on a other offensive position which would allow a dedicated ST coach. Or if he wants to be a head coach someday and grow his defensive acumen he could take on a second position there which I know is unorthodox, but hey, we need to be thinking outside the box in this program.

15 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree a ST coach would be helpful especially in the BIG where defenses are strong and field position is everything.

On another note, what exaxtly is Troy Walters doing as it feels like Frost runs the offense. Perhaps Walters can double up on a other offensive position which would allow a dedicated ST coach. Or if he wants to be a head coach someday and grow his defensive acumen he could take on a second position there which I know is unorthodox, but hey, we need to be thinking outside the box in this program.

Walters is the WR coach. What other position would you like him to coach?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Walters is the WR coach. What other position would you like him to coach?

Well it doesnt seem he is doing much of the OC position, and prior to coming to Nebraska there was speculation that he was looking for a HC position. Perhaps Frost can let Walters do more of the OC work and Frost can spend more time on defense and special teams. Regardless I like the idea of moving an existing coach to another position to create a dedicated spot for special teams. 

Ruud is an option to take Dewitts guys but Ruud has only been an assistant coach for 2 seasons. Maybe Fisher can help out?

15 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Dawson having a chance to move up the ranks to NFL is no where near him saying "we weren't good enough".....   SMMFH!

You sound like Steve Pederson, assuming that NFL coaching is 'better' than college coaching. :P

NFL doesn't necessarily pay better than the upper tiers of college coaching. Dawson was already in the top ten college DL coaches' salaries at Nebraska.

12 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Why not pick up dawson and polk..??  dawson has LB experience and is familiar with what frost is doing and polk has LB and special team experience and knows the culture that frost expects..

Who else is going to leave so that we can get 2 D assistants? Or are you thinking one of them would leave an NFL job to become and analyst for us?