Jovan DeWitt's Replacement

Your coordinators are very important and IMO that is where the coaching and schemes come into play. Your position coaches HAVE to be able to recruit. I'm not saying get a good recruiter and someone that know nothing, but IMO recruiting is the king of CFB. Many teams take advantage of these "analyst" roles. 

22 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

could we do a special teams analyst?

No reason we can't.  You can have as many analysts as you want (Alabama had 12 this past season, including 2 for special teams as well as big names like Butch Jones, Major Applewhite, and Mike Stoops).

But our current offensive analyst job posting (Helfrich???) pays $36k/year, so you can't really expect NFL guys to leave AC jobs to take something like that.  Bama uses it for fired coaches on buyouts or former players looking to get into coaching.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

No reason we can't.  You can have as many analysts as you want (Alabama had 12 this past season, including 2 for special teams as well as big names like Butch Jones, Major Applewhite, and Mike Stoops).

But our current offensive analyst job posting (Helfrich???) pays $36k/year, so you can't really expect NFL guys to leave AC jobs to take something like that.  Bama uses it for fired coaches on buyouts or former players looking to get into coaching.

Most guys are still be paid by their previous schools when they take these jobs, money isn't really an issue.

11 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

In a 3-4, the responsibilities and techniques of the MLBs and OLBs differ enough that you should have separate coaches for each. 

I tend to agree, but they did have Dewitt coaching all the LBs at UCF. I could see a time share deal though, where Ruud has ILBs and OLBs for a chunk of the time, and then the OLBs go work with Tuoti on pass rush and setting the edge.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well it doesnt seem he is doing much of the OC position, and prior to coming to Nebraska there was speculation that he was looking for a HC position. Perhaps Frost can let Walters do more of the OC work and Frost can spend more time on defense and special teams. Regardless I like the idea of moving an existing coach to another position to create a dedicated spot for special teams. 

Ruud is an option to take Dewitts guys but Ruud has only been an assistant coach for 2 seasons. Maybe Fisher can help out?

Walters does more work in the OC position that most people think.  Yes, he's not calling the plays during the games, but Frost depends on him a lot during the week.  Walters is Frost's right-hand man in developing the game plan and the key plays they want to focus on for each opponent, and I would think Walters is running the offensive practices when Frost wants to check out the defense/special teams.

I do agree that the current staff can probably absorb a position group, primarily on defense, as I also think NU needs a dedicated special teams coach.  

• Plus1 4
46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I mean it does say $36k/year minimum so that leaves it open to being anything more than that based on experience. The application review date is today on that BTW. Maybe we'll find out what it's all about soon.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Most guys are still be paid by their previous schools when they take these jobs, money isn't really an issue.

I tend to agree, but they did have Dewitt coaching all the LBs at UCF. I could see a time share deal though, where Ruud has ILBs and OLBs for a chunk of the time, and then the OLBs go work with Tuoti on pass rush and setting the edge.

That could work as well. 

Not sure why everyone is making this so complicated.

Chins coached OLBs at Oregon for a couple seasons and he currently doesn’t have a direct position to coach. He takes over OLBs along with DC.

We then hire a special teams coach that is also a stud recruiter and can help out with another position.

Or we bring back Dawson and then Frost maybe takes over more of a special teams role, similar to what Bo did in 2014.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Toe said:

Please can we not hire another Bruce Read?

Exactly.  Remember when people were so excited that we finally woke up and took special teams seriously?  How'd that work out?

I'm not in the boat that having a full time special teams coordinator is really that big of a deal.  You can only work on (most) special teams during certain times of practice anyway.  Bruce Read left after about 45 minutes every day.  There isn't any reason that one of the other position coaches can't do special teams as well and do very well at it. 

Not getting multiple kickers hurt will make our special teams a lot better.  Having a bunch of young linebackers and safeties will make our special teams much better.  There are several things that will help a lot more than having a dedicated coach.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Exactly.  Remember when people were so excited that we finally woke up and took special teams seriously?  How'd that work out?

I'm not in the boat that having a full time special teams coordinator is really that big of a deal.  You can only work on (most) special teams during certain times of practice anyway.  Bruce Read left after about 45 minutes every day.  There isn't any reason that one of the other position coaches can't do special teams as well and do very well at it. 

Not getting multiple kickers hurt will make our special teams a lot better.  Having a bunch of young linebackers and safeties will make our special teams much better.  There are several things that will help a lot more than having a dedicated coach.

Bruce Read left practice early to go hang out at Hank Hughes' dorm room.  He probably wanted to get some games of Madden in before Hank got back to the room.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, theknife said:

A special teams analyst can't actually coach the player though. They can have interactions with them, but they couldn't be on the field coaching them at practice for example. 

No, but they would be a dedicated person watching opponents ST film and tendencies, as well as developing our ST schemes.  Then if we don't have a dedicated ST coach, they can work with a "part time" ST coach to implement in practice.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Just because Bruce Read sucked doesn't mean that a full time ST coach can't have value.

Personally, I think we need to do 1 of these 2 things:

1) Full time ST coach (and have Chin add OLB) that can also lend a helping hand to some position group during non ST part of practice (preferably LB/DB, and those guys will make up most of the ST units).  Say 80% ST/ 20% other position.

2) Hire a full time OLB coach.  And then hire a real ST analyst or grad assistant to be the one watching film/developing schemes and split up punt/kick teams ST duties to a couple different coaches.

• Plus1 1