Jovan DeWitt's Replacement

2 hours ago, HANC said:

Do you mean guys whom he was saddled with before he got here or ones he only got to work with for 1 or 2 years at most?   Also, who was throwing him the ball. Guys whom this board completely tossed under bus for not being good passers at best.  Really unfair judgement, but like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. 

2 hours ago, HANC said:

Wasnt JD a freshman all American under Williams?

2 hours ago, Wordek said:

Pick 6 Lee was also the QB during those years.

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Stan says Hi also...

1 hour ago, HANC said:

And his draft report said route running was biggest strength,  which was developed under Williams. 

Stan made 2nd team All Conference, sure. 

Who else? 

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Stan made 2nd team All Conference, sure. 

Who else? 

Not going to change your mind nor am I going to change my opinion that the man can coach and has done well. Not into chat room posting matches.  Not one good qb when he was here. 

• Thanks 1

Seriously using a 3 yr sample size, refusing to take any variables into account.  I will trust Hill, Michael Thomas, Watkins...many more...turning JD into Fresh all-American and developing Stan (there is 2 successful in 3 years) under putrid Riley over random poster who responds with gifs....is this middle school. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Ben Stille should be the Player Coach for the new Left Down Outside Linebacker position.

Then Barrett Ruud should take over the remaining ROLB position while moving an ILB to the new Standing LOLB position.

With the addition of the Player Coach at one position, we would then be able to hire a new ST Coach.I have no idea who that would be, probably one of the 367 local sports writers.

Getting back to the original subject... I'll just leave this here:

X1fcUdl.png

Note that 4 out of the Top 8 were B1G schools:

dVa89mW.jpg

While I'm on the subject and before people blame the Barrett Pickering injury for much of our woes, I'd like to point out that getting a Grad Transfer Kicker as insurance (or to compete with your starter) is something that is not unheard of:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2018/01/alabama_looking_into_adding_gr.html

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/01/ucla-kicker-announces-grad-transfer-to-utah/

Looking toward next year, this kicker entered the portal in late December:
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/all-american-transfer-kicker.156479/

For those that think Special Teams does not deserve Special Attention at Nebraska:

bcMcSsQ.png

• Plus1 1

I did some research as to FGs and XPs, mainly because of Nebraska's struggles, but then also Alabama's. Because even though they can win games and titles, they have difficulties with kickers. Since Nick Saban went to Alabama he hasn't had one kicker attempt either all fgs or all xps.

Saban's teams have missed over 100 fgs, 250/350 since 2007. They have missed 24 xps.

Nebraska over that same time-frame is 207/257 which is 9 % points better than Alabama. We have missed 10 xps.

So what does this mean? You need a damn kicker. But you can still overcome kicking woes to an extent. Also Nebraska's worst fg% was this year during that time span. Coincidentally this is the 6th time Alabama has finished under 70%.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I did some research as to FGs and XPs, mainly because of Nebraska's struggles, but then also Alabama's. Because even though they can win games and titles, they have difficulties with kickers. Since Nick Saban went to Alabama he hasn't had one kicker attempt either all fgs or all xps.

Saban's teams have missed over 100 fgs, 250/350 since 2007. They have missed 24 xps.

Nebraska over that same time-frame is 207/257 which is 9 % points better than Alabama. We have missed 10 xps.

So what does this mean? You need a damn kicker. But you can still overcome kicking woes to an extent. Also Nebraska's worst fg% was this year during that time span. Coincidentally this is the 6th time Alabama has finished under 70%.

Kickers aren't usually an issue, until they become one.  While Frost is rebuilding the roster, NU is going to have a lot more close games than Alabama.  That's where it's important to have a reliable kicker for FG's and PAT's.

I think NU's biggest problem with the kicking game was on kickoffs.  First, they didn't have a kicker who could consistently create touch backs.  With teams returning kicks against NU at a higher rate, it puts more pressure on the kick coverage team.  We saw NU fail in that against Wisconsin and Iowa.  Even when teams weren't scoring TD's, they were creating field position advantages with solid returns.  If NU is able to get a kicker who can create touch backs on 50-75% of kickoffs, that will help solve NU's biggest issue in special teams.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I'm not sure Saban has ever bothered to try and recruit a kicker or punter.  Both have been pretty atrocious for majority of his tenure.

4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I'm not sure Saban has ever bothered to try and recruit a kicker or punter.  Both have been pretty atrocious for majority of his tenure.

Alabama's 2 kickers on their roster in 2019 were both highly rated recruits.  Joseph Bulovas was the #1 kicker in the 2017 class, and Will Reichard was the #2 kicker in the 2019 class.

I don't know what Bama has done prior to these kickers, but they are getting highly rated kickers in the recruiting rankings.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Alabama's 2 kickers on their roster in 2019 were both highly rated recruits.  Joseph Bulovas was the #1 kicker in the 2017 class, and Will Reichard was the #2 kicker in the 2019 class.

I don't know what Bama has done prior to these kickers, but they are getting highly rated kickers in the recruiting rankings.

Interesting, I didn't know that.  Maybe they need a new ST coordinator cus whatever they're doing isn't working 

15 hours ago, HANC said:

Seriously using a 3 yr sample size, refusing to take any variables into account.  I will trust Hill, Michael Thomas, Watkins...many more...turning JD into Fresh all-American and developing Stan (there is 2 successful in 3 years) under putrid Riley over random poster who responds with gifs....is this middle school. 

There's no question he's great in a one-on-one, individual drill setting. There's also no question that he's not as good at coaching the position as the person we currently have in the job. If you can't understand that, then I can try to post more pictures to help you. 

• Plus1 1