Jovan DeWitt's Replacement

43 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, because frequent staff shakeups have done this program so much good over the past 20 years.

I don't think staff turnover, on its own, is the issue with the program. I think it's safe to say that the subsequent, poor choices for replacements are more of the issue. I mean, sometimes change is necessary for progress. BUT, there is also an increased importance on the decision-makers when hiring new staffers.

• Plus1 2

29 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

I don't think staff turnover, on its own, is the issue with the program. I think it's safe to say that the subsequent, poor choices for replacements are more of the issue. I mean, sometimes change is necessary for progress. BUT, there is also an increased importance on the decision-makers when hiring new staffers.

I agree. But the post I was replying to made it sound like staff changes are the only solution if we don't like what we see the on the field. Sometimes there is more to it than that and sometimes it might be better to maintain some stability. Considering our schedule next season, and the fact we are already replacing/filling 2 or 3 coach positions now, more changes may or may not be what is needed if things don't go as well as some would like.

30 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The right shakeups can do wonders. I love the new OC pickup. Not willing to change or try new things is failure in my opinion. 

Im not opposed to changes when they are warranted. I love the idea of replacing both Dewitt and Walters. OLB, special teams and our WR play have really been subpar imo. And it has sort of felt like Troy always had one foot out the door. I’m just not sure if he was 100% responsible for our lack of WR production and poor perimeter blocking. For sure some of that has to be the responsibility of the coaches involved and I’m happy with those two changes. But I also don’t believe change just for the sake of change is necessarily always a good thing. In fact I think it should be avoided unless and until it becomes obvious the problem is coaching. I guess my initial response depends on what you meant by showing “drastic” improvement next season. I think we could show drastic improvement in numerous areas but the W-L record may not improve drastically.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully the bravado that so characterized this staff in the first year and half has not totally evaporated already.   i don’t sense the sense of confidence and optimism from the coaches as last year.   These players need their coaches to have positive expectations and encouragement.

Be realistic but reach for the best they can be.  

I know its off season after another less than satisfactory year 2.  but the swagger need not be stagger.  Recruiting went pretty well with only a few disappointments this class.  Now the real fun begins.  

On 2/7/2020 at 6:32 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Hopefully the bravado that so characterized this staff in the first year and half has not totally evaporated already.

I think the "bravado" as you put it came from the results of the 2017 UCF season. Outside of that, I'd say some if not many of these guys were unproven in Power 5 football.

The going got tough, and some of them haven't done "more with less." 

On that list for me heading into 2020 is Greg Austin. He has recruited well but now he has to coach these guys up.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think the "bravado" as you put it came from the results of the 2017 UCF season. Outside of that, I'd say some if not many of these guys were unproven in Power 5 football.

On that list for me heading into 2020 is Greg Austin. He has recruited well but now he has to coach these guys up.

I'm very interested to see jow the offensive line plays this year. There should be some young guys pushing the older guys from the previous regime and he has an additional title as run game coordinator.

57 minutes ago, Undone said:

You could make an argument for pretty good improvement from game 1 - 12 last year, but I agree it's a prove it year for him. Also, I think Sean Beckton is on the list. We need better blocking and more production from his position group.

9 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

You could make an argument for pretty good improvement from game 1 - 12 last year, but I agree it's a prove it year for him. Also, I think Sean Beckton is on the list. We need better blocking and more production from his position group.

Yeah. Speaking for myself personally, if I'm honest I've really watered down my expectations. Which I think makes watching these seasons more bearable, so in that sense it's just good preservation of my sanity.

But when Frost was hired there was zero beating around the bush about how championship expectations were fully on the table by Frost and all involved. 

If we want a dominant run game again, we have to have an incredible offensive line. There just isn't any other way to state it. And getting there will involve the absolute best that Austin and also Duvall can give.

• Plus1 2