Lamar Jackson & Darrion Daniels Invited to Senior Bowl

Mavric

5 minutes ago, drfish said:

Would be nice to see a Nebraska player picked higher than the 5th round.  Hell, it would be nice to see one picked.

Lost in all the negativity, and in all the suckage at Linebacker, was a dominant nosetackle and a dominant corner.  Both Daniels and Jackson were very good.  I think Jackson will be 2nd round, and Daniels 4th round.

Look at it that way and you wonder why we weren't better on defense.  Opposing teams simply targeted our weakness.  Your defense is only as good as your weakest link in a way.  A CB and a Nosetackle cant defend the pass to the middle of the field.  So despite losing our 2 best players i think our defense will be ok.  Probably about equal to this year's defense, but more balanced.  Our offense should be much better however.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, drfish said:

Would be nice to see a Nebraska player picked higher than the 5th round.  Hell, it would be nice to see one picked.

I think it's a safe bet that happens in this upcoming draft.  I get the feeling Jackson will test pretty well at the combine and his numbers plus his frame will make him an attractive prospect.  He kinda reminds me of a taller Zack Bowman.  That being said, if he runs a sub 4.4 forty like Bowman did at the combine I think there's a decent chance Lamar goes in the top 3 rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/1552239/2020/01/21/senior-bowl-adam-trautman-kyle-dugger-and-ben-bartch-make-strong-impressions-on-day-1/

On the defensive line, three prospects stood out above the rest: Florida edge rusher Jonathan Greenard (6-4, 262), South Carolina defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw (6-5, 315) and Nebraska defensive tackle Darrion Daniels (6-4, 322). Greenard and Kinlaw are two of the best defensive prospects in Mobile, so their success wasn’t a shock. But Daniels’ disruption was a nice surprise.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

lol....  lets post all the film where he gets beat, misses tackles or draws the flag for being out of position with bad technique..

I don't understand why you have such negative feelings towards him.  He was a top 15 CB by most ratings.  He had 40 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, and 12 pbu.  If you watch any corner long enough you will find plays where he gets beat, but Lamar was by far our most talented defender.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

I don't understand why you have such negative feelings towards him.  He was a top 15 CB by most ratings.  He had 40 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, and 12 pbu.  If you watch any corner long enough you will find plays where he gets beat, but Lamar was by far our most talented defender.

And the ONLY reason he was playing.  He would not be first on any other good team.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, RedRedJarvisRedwine said:

So how tall is Jackson exactly? Seems like he was listed around 6’3” out of HS but some articles are listing him short of 6’1” for the senior bowl.

6'2 and a quarter, so they just rounded up. Sometimes guys add an inch and then round up, but he and Darrion were both pretty close - Darrion was 6'3.5 instead of 6'4.

https://247sports.com/Article/2020-Senior-Bowl-weigh-in-and-measurements-142531635/

On my drive in this morning I was listening to 1620. They had an NFL Analyst on the radio talking about all the prospects and how things were going down at practice this week. At the end Benning asked him about Lamar Jackson. He said he is a talented kid, he has good make up speed. But he needs to learn to play with his legs and not his hands. He is very touchy with his hands and has drawn a lot of flags for holding. Also he has shown to be unaware of when the ball is in the air- he used an example it was a 1 V 1 end zone drill and he did not turn around. The guy said that was a red flag he was not even looking for the ball when he knew the ball was coming. He said as of right now he will project to be a 3rd or 4th string corner on an NFL team which will mean he should expect to contribute as a special teams player. He said Lamar was aware of that and was eager to do whats needed to help. 

That doesnt sound like 1st round to me. 

Benning then said that analysis is pretty spot on. Essentially all the things that he is doing down there summarized his career at Nebraska. As far as things he needs to work on.

• Plus1 1

just want to add my two cents on Jackson.  He was pretty bad his first two years.  He got better his final two years.  I will give credit where credit is due.  He made some plays this year.  As someone who played DB and has coached the position I am pretty critical of the secondary.  Jackson was bailed out so many times by bad throws or rec just dropping the ball, he would then get up and wave his arms like he did something... nope he got lucky.  Then the announcers say "Lamar Jackson on the pass break-up" and the layman fan is like hey nice play Lamar.  Did he get much better? yes.  Is he really good? No.

• Fire 1