Lamar Jackson & Darrion Daniels Invited to Senior Bowl

Mavric

10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

On my drive in this morning I was listening to 1620. They had an NFL Analyst on the radio talking about all the prospects and how things were going down at practice this week. At the end Benning asked him about Lamar Jackson. He said he is a talented kid, he has good make up speed. But he needs to learn to play with his legs and not his hands. He is very touchy with his hands and has drawn a lot of flags for holding. Also he has shown to be unaware of when the ball is in the air- he used an example it was a 1 V 1 end zone drill and he did not turn around. The guy said that was a red flag he was not even looking for the ball when he knew the ball was coming. He said as of right now he will project to be a 3rd or 4th string corner on an NFL team which will mean he should expect to contribute as a special teams player. He said Lamar was aware of that and was eager to do whats needed to help. 

That doesnt sound like 1st round to me. 

Benning then said that analysis is pretty spot on. Essentially all the things that he is doing down there summarized his career at Nebraska. As far as things he needs to work on.

Agreed. I think Jackson will be a 3rd rounder/4th rounder which isn't bad for him considering how god awful he used to be. His lack of awareness kills me because he is solid in coverage but there are so many times where just turning his freaking head could have led to a PBU or INT. Bootle does the same thing. 

Edit: Walter Football doesn't even have Jackson in the first 4 rounds.

• Fire 1

Jackson is ripped on by some for very obvious reasons...

1.  Super high ranked recruit (We love them...but then we hate them...we want walk ons...sort of...but not really...but we pretend like we do...Like that Sullivan kid who basically made 3 plays all year)

2.  He was part of the "other coaches" class (Which means he is lazy...even if he isn't)

3.  He might have celebrated after a play (This one seems to really bug some fans...unless it is a player from the 90's...then they do do anything they want and it is okay)

• Plus1 8
2 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Agreed. I think Jackson will be a 3rd rounder/4th rounder which isn't bad for him considering how god awful he used to be. His lack of awareness kills me because he is solid in coverage but there are so many times where just turning his freaking head could have led to a PBU or INT. Bootle does the same thing. 

Yeah, I think some of that is just "who you are" and some of it is coached...some guys just have that ability to know when the ball is in the air.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Jackson is ripped on by some for very obvious reasons...

1.  Super high ranked recruit (We love them...but then we hate them...we want walk ons...sort of...but not really...but we pretend like we do...Like that Sullivan kid who basically made 3 plays all year)

2.  He was part of the "other coaches" class (Which means he is lazy...even if he isn't)

3.  He might have celebrated after a play (This one seems to really bug some fans...unless it is a player from the 90's...then they do do anything they want and it is okay)

Maybe dont "celebrate" after he's been beat 3 times, flagged once and we are behind by 20 points....  

11 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Nebraska fans sure are weird. Was jackson perfect, no. But most fan bases aren't excited to see a 2nd team all conference guy leave.

I dont think people are excited for him to leave. I just think he was just an average player and it shouldnt be hard to replace him with someone equal or better. Here was his stats from 2019- I would think you could plug about anyone in and replicate this if not do better. 

30 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 3 interceptions and 12 passes deflected. If that is 2nd team all big ten it must have been a down year for DB's. 

2019 SEASON STATS

18 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I dont think people are excited for him to leave. I just think he was just an average player and it shouldnt be hard to replace him with someone equal or better. Here was his stats from 2019- I would think you could plug about anyone in and replicate this if not do better. 

30 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 3 interceptions and 12 passes deflected. If that is 2nd team all big ten it must have been a down year for DB's. 

2019 SEASON STATS

Particularly for corners, stats can be misleading. Prince won Big 12 defensive player of the year with 59 total tackles no picks, 1 sack, and 13 passes deflected. 59 tackles which is obviously better than 40 (Jackson had 40 total, 30 solo - Prince had 36 solo), but you're crazy if you think 29 total tackles is even a factor separating an elite corner from an average one. 6 solo tackles is an even smaller difference.

Not saying Jackson was close to Prince's level, because he wasn't. But stats are a terrible way to judge corners overall. You need a decent number of PBU+INTs, but if you're doing your job they're throwing somewhere else. Sure we can replace the numbers, but that's not all that needs replacing.

Or how about this stat line:

34 tackles (28 solo), 1 TFL, 3 INTs, 9 PBU

Spoiler

First team all-big ten Jeffrey Okudah

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Particularly for corners, stats can be misleading. Prince won Big 12 defensive player of the year with 59 total tackles no picks, 1 sack, and 13 passes deflected. 59 tackles which is obviously better than 40 (Jackson had 40 total, 30 solo - Prince had 36 solo), but you're crazy if you think 29 total tackles is even a factor separating an elite corner from an average one. 6 solo tackles is an even smaller difference.

Not saying Jackson was close to Prince's level, because he wasn't. But stats are a terrible way to judge corners overall. You need a decent number of PBU+INTs, but if you're doing your job they're throwing somewhere else. Sure we can replace the numbers, but that's not all that needs replacing.

Or how about this stat line:

34 tackles (28 solo), 1 TFL, 3 INTs, 9 PBU

Reveal hidden contents

First team all-big ten Jeffrey Okudah

I get what your saying. But from a pure stats standpoint I dont think it will be hard to replace what he brought. If anything if the new guy is more disciplined and actually looks back when the ball is in the air we can stop more balls, less PI calls etc. Like I said he is not a bad player, he is an average player. In my mind I wouldnt mind if he came back and I dont really care if he leaves. To me I hope we have recruited better, more aggressive kids with better ball instincts so our production goes up. When you have 3 straight losing seasons- I cant help but be happy to turn the roster over. Because obviously what he have and have had was not good enough. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get what your saying. But from a pure stats standpoint I dont think it will be hard to replace what he brought. If anything if the new guy is more disciplined and actually looks back when the ball is in the air we can stop more balls, less PI calls etc. Like I said he is not a bad player, he is an average player. In my mind I wouldnt mind if he came back and I dont really care if he leaves. To me I hope we have recruited better, more aggressive kids with better ball instincts so our production goes up. When you have 3 straight losing seasons- I cant help but be happy to turn the roster over. Because obviously what he have and have had was not good enough. 

Eh, agree to disagree then. Obviously we have a lot of room for improvement in a lot of areas, but I don't think purely replacing stats matters at all. I get your view on roster turnover, and I think it's true in a lot of cases. But just because the team is bad doesn't mean every player should be replaced. We went 4-8 in 2018 but some roster turnover (Morgan, Ozigbo, Gifford, etc) that was definitely bad for the team. As much as people want to hate on him, Jackson is a similar loss - albeit one we have better depth to address now another year in.

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

2019 SEASON STATS

Getting 2nd team all conference and being drafted isn't average. People hate on him because he was a riley recruit and he was real bad his first two years. The dude really improved over his last 1.5 seasons. 

• Plus1 4