Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like Thompkins is not likely to be much of a participant.  Still recovering from injury.

Also, Noa Pola-Gates will likely be pretty limited as well (recovering from injury).

Thompkins is going to have a tough time ever getting healthy 

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, EZ-E said:

If Thompkins can get and stay healthy he is no worse than the second best back on campus

At this point, I'm not counting on Thompkins to contribute until I actually see him on the field.  And...that's unfortunate.  

I would not be surprised if he would become one of those players that keeps their scholarship to finish school but aren't part of the team (85 limit) anymore.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

At this point, I'm not counting on Thompkins to contribute until I actually see him on the field.  And...that's unfortunate.  

I would not be surprised if he would become one of those players that keeps their scholarship to finish school but aren't part of the team (85 limit) anymore.

I hope I'm wrong.

Pretty sure that rule is only for first year coaches 

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  I thought it had been used in the past for a player that had been injured and wasn't going to contribute anymore.

I obviously could be wrong.  I'm going off of memory and couldn't give you a name if you asked.

I think you're right. There is that first year coach rule, but I believe there is also some sort of medical retirement deal if you can't participate in camp or something Tre Bryant took that one and it wasn't just because of Frost's first year I don't think.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I think you're right. There is that first year coach rule, but I believe there is also some sort of medical retirement deal if you can't participate in camp or something Tre Bryant took that one and it wasn't just because of Frost's first year I don't think.

Correct. Medical exemption is not limited to first year coaches. If a player suffers a career ending injury, they can still receive financial aid without counting towards scholarship limits.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  I thought it had been used in the past for a player that had been injured and wasn't going to contribute anymore.

I obviously could be wrong.  I'm going off of memory and couldn't give you a name if you asked.

23 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Kids can take a medical hardship at any point.  Keep their scholarship but don't count against the 85.

There is apparently a special exemption during a coaching change where a kid just doesn't fit what the new coaches want and they can do the same thing without having to have some extenuating medical condition.

• Thanks 1