Roster flipping

“Frost guys” will be all over the roster certainly.  Are they Frost’s first or second choices at every

position?   Far from it.  I’m quite sure we offered over 400 scholarships that included our top ten or so choices across many positions but if the staff could have had their druthers they’d only offer a small # of guys.  Over time as the program gets stronger we’ll get even better recruits but the number of stars may not be the best indicator in many cases.  Focus on the bigs as the skill guys are more plentiful and will come.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....

In the three classes before Frost, we had 10 O-linemen (.8793 average) and 8 D-Linemen (.8705 average).  One of those didn't make it to campus.

In Frost's three classes, he has brought in 13 O-Linemen (.8825 average) 2 didn't make it to campus.  and 16 D-Linemen (.8738 average).  

So, we are getting more players in the trenches and they are higher rated.

I believe more of our higher rated players will be developed and contribute.  That will be a big difference.

Thats a lot of numbers on the DLine.  You would think at least a couple of those guys will develop well.  We just know so little about our young DLinemen.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

Thats a lot of numbers on the DLine.  You would think at least a couple of those guys will develop well.  We just know so little about our young DLinemen.

That's where the coaching comes in.  We have some (what was believed to be when they were recruited) very talented players on both sides of the trenches and, we have enough of them to choose from.  There should be some develop and thrive from those classes.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around 10 O linemen over 3 years.  That's pathetic and is a HUGE indication of what Frost walked into.

Unfortunately, either line is the hardest for a kid to come out of HS and contribute right away at.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
15 hours ago, The Dude said:

Many of whom are small town Nebraska kids who have a vested interest in Nebraska being successful at football.

I know having those types of guys on the team is a point of mockery on this board, but it was the foundation of Tom Osborne's success, at least according to Tom Osborne. 

I agree.  Just pointing out that with the 87 scholarships, a lot of those numbers are walk-ons.  Not trying to throw shade on them or diminish what they are doing.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:52 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Our most experienced players anchored our defensive line -- two Pelini recruits and a heralded Oklahoma State transfer for Frost. 

They kinda sucked. I don't remember a Husker team getting so little pressure on the quarterback. That included average quarterbacks on unremarkable teams.

Experience can be swell, but great talent shines immediately, and cohesiveness can come quickly. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

They said this about Ozigbo last year.  This is coming from a guy that is a huge Ozigbo fan.

Well I believe Devine is still holding onto an NFL job at the moment, and got 12 touches in his last game of the season for Jacksonville. He can probably thank the bit of hype he got from the Shrine Game. Gonna be hard for him to supplant Leonard Fournette.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:05 AM, HUSKER 37 said:

I'm not convinced we will have ''more talent than anyone else in our division'' or how you would effectively even measure it...  It's not like everybody else just stops recruiting more talent. Minnesnota and Wisky will probably be our measuring sticks for the next few seasons...   Until we get enough depth to get the second string guys more valuable experience/playing time, talent alone won't win as consistently as most of us grew up watching..  I guess I still hope for more MNCs before Football is outlawed.. But either way...Still will enjoy the ride.

BigPeterJ is referencing our recruiting classes compared to Wisconsin, Iowa, and the rest of our division. All the recruiting sites have us consistently bringing in better talent. Logically if we start retaining our talent and we do a decent job with development then we should have "more talent than anyone else in our division."

32 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I wouldn't say way more vital, but probably equally important. If the LBs were great and the Dline was terrible, it would look just as bad.

You gotta have both but IMO a 4-3 (d-line matters more) and 3-4 (LBs matter more). It's a numbers game first 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

You gotta have both but IMO a 4-3 (d-line matters more) and 3-4 (LBs matter more). It's a numbers game first 

I don't see that at all.  In a 3-4, if you don't have a good D line, the LBs will be blocked easier.  In a 4-3, if you don't have good LBs filling gaps, your D line could be good but there will still be a hole to run through.  

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, bhunt7 said:

BigPeterJ is referencing our recruiting classes compared to Wisconsin, Iowa, and the rest of our division. All the recruiting sites have us consistently bringing in better talent. Logically if we start retaining our talent and we do a decent job with development then we should have "more talent than anyone else in our division."

The way our staff has been consistently outcoached on gameday which was my biggest surprise with this staff btw, makes me wonder how good they can be at player development...It took Osborne and his staff several years to ''win the big one'', but thanks to the coaches mostly staying around (Other than 3-4 DCs), THey were able to grow in their roles.   

Keeping up with the ''weakest division of our conference''. will probably not be enough to keep this staff around past 5 years.