Roster flipping

12 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Pernell Jefferson and John Raridon no longer listed on the roster.

There's some of the roster purging of graduating seniors which most on this board are looking for.  At least I think these 2 have graduated.  If not, they can still transfer to a FCS school and be immediately eligible or they could be quitting football altogether.

• 4 months later...

The roster “management” seems to continue unabated.  Not sure just how many players have left Lincoln since Frost arrived but maybe somebody has a list?

The team has not done well in the wins/losses so far but hopefully the revolving door stops at some point so we see time for individual players to develop and mature in a systemic way.  Also need to build some culture, team unity, and cohesion.   Kind of seems like the stereotypical dysfunctional American family.   

There cant be many pre-Frost players left. 

Any positive interpretations of all this will be quite reassuring.  

13 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Any positive interpretations of all this will be quite reassuring.  

Attrition happens everywhere, especially in places with new coaching staffs. Ours seem high but we usually have averaged 11 since Bo era so it is kind of par for the course. I think the foundation has been set now in year 3( obviously needs to translate to wins). We have a good base of the type of guys this staff wants.

-2017 class was all about Rilley so that is why a large majority of those kids are gone. See how many fled to Oregon State.

-2018 class was put together so quickly that it was a lot of square pegs attempting to fit into a round hole.

-Chase left due to personal reasons which are understandable. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about attrition as it keeps allowing for this staff to take high number classes which is the best way get this thing corrected. I think Frost and co. have done an outstanding job with roster management and filling classes to the max. They know what they have and what they need. 

• Plus1 1

56 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I am just hoping we are building a team that is truly playing for each other and not so focused on themselves and the “me now” mindset disolves somewhat at least.  

I think the recent growth transfers from Nebraska are being driven by a three things:  1) different coaching staff coming to NU, and Riley recruits not having the relationships with the current staff, 2)  Looser rules on players transferring (grad transfer rules, ability to get waivers for immediate eligibility, etc.).  3)  Walk-ons not wanting to sit for 5 years and still pay to go to UNL, when they can transfer to a G5 or FCS school and get a scholarship.

There is also more media coverage showing every single transfer out, so it brings more awareness to every player leaving (especially highlighting every walk-on transferring out).  Players transferring out isn't necessarily a negative and I think you are over blowing the "me now" mindset.  Kids are putting in a lot of work and training in their youth and high school days (along with parents spending a lot of $), so when they get to college and see that they are going to ride the bench for most/all of their career, they are going to want to transfer to a school where they can play.  While college football requires a lot of work, it's also meant to be fun for these guys, and most of the fun comes from playing in the games.

• Plus1 4

Many of the players leaving are walkons of course but some are recently arrived scholarships as well.  

Kids have always paid their own and many scholarships were happy to redshirt and bide their time to get better and play as third fourth and fifth year players.  

Vedral came from a Husker family and chose UCF over NU initially then followed Frost to Lincoln and sat a year first.  Then plays some and even started a game or two as a RS soph. Then transfers to Rutgers as the likely #2 QB.  An injury away from being a Junior starter in Lincoln.   

Maybe not the best example but still makes one wonder what is the under current ?   IDK.  Just makes one say - Hmmm!   

I think Vedral chose UCF because he was offered a scholarship there and only a walkon here. I could be wrong on that. Plus that was during Riley's term so he gets a pass there either way. Not sure he was an injury away from starting as he might have ended up 4th this year. Agree that kids used to pay their own way and were even happy to wait 3-4 years to play as scholarship guys. School costs so much more now and most kids seem to want to play early now. Different time and era. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Many of the players leaving are walkons of course but some are recently arrived scholarships as well.  

Kids have always paid their own and many scholarships were happy to redshirt and bide their time to get better and play as third fourth and fifth year players.  

Vedral came from a Husker family and chose UCF over NU initially then followed Frost to Lincoln and sat a year first.  Then plays some and even started a game or two as a RS soph. Then transfers to Rutgers as the likely #2 QB.  An injury away from being a Junior starter in Lincoln.   

Maybe not the best example but still makes one wonder what is the under current ?   IDK.  Just makes one say - Hmmm!   

While NU may have more transfers than other schools due to the coaching change, you are also refusing to accept that there is a nationwide shift in player philosophies in biding their time on the bench, and being willing to possibly play in their 4th or 5th year.  It's not a Nebraska issue (I won't call it a problem, because IMO players having more options isn't a problem), it's a college football issue.

I don't have a problem with a player being loyal to themselves before being "loyal to their school" like you seem to want them to be.  It happens all over the work place, as people change employers often, in search of a better opportunity.  Just like people want to get the most out of their time and money spent on their education, these kids want to get most out of the college football career after spending their youth training to get that college opportunity.  Some kids see the writing on the wall after one year on the team, and they leave.  Some kids stick it out for a few years, and are still destined to be backups in their 4th or 5th years, so they leave to a better opportunity to play as a grad transfer.

I don't know how old you are, but you seem to be stuck in a bye-gone era and aren't willing to look at things from the current player point of view.  With more kids having an opportunity to play meaningful college sports across a wide variety of schools, IMO that's a good thing.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...I would imagine the transfer rate for players is about the same or less than for regular students.  

It is just that we don't hear about Chaz McPhillips leaving NU because it isn't big news that he left.

Oh man, when did Chaz transfer to USD?  That guy knew how to party!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I'm not sure how much Rutgers you watched last year but Vedral is transferring there to be the starter.  I'd be stunned if he gets beat out at QB by what Rutgers rolled out at QB last year.  I also don't think he was going to be the #2 for Nebraska this year as the staff is clearly high on McCaffery.

• Plus1 1