Will Rhule be a Rule For Scott Frost To Follow?

(Former) Baylor Coach Matt Rhule is the new Carolina Panthers head coach.

He spent three years at Baylor, initially taking a team that was in shambles due to campus scandal. His Baylor team won just one game in his first season, but in his third and just concluded last season, he got Baylor into the Big 12 championship game.

Why is this of interest to Husker fans? What if Scott Frost pulls a similar turnaround at Lincoln? What if Frost gets the Huskers very soon to the Big 10 championship game or more? Will the NFL come calling on him? What if he becomes the "hot coach" again?

Some Husker fans have expressed doubts about Frost’s approach to offense. Some say it will never work in the Big 10. Maybe his offense is a better fit for the NFL? If the Husker Coach gets the Huskers going like Rhule did, will he find himself coaching on Sundays?

Will Coach Frost be watching closely to see if the former Baylor coach will Rhule in the NFL?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

He spent three years at Baylor, initially taking a team that was in shambles due to campus scandal. His Baylor team won just one game in his first season, but in his third and just concluded last season, he got Baylor into the Big 12 championship game.

Why is this of interest to Husker fans? What if Scott Frost pulls a similar turnaround at Lincoln? What if Frost gets the Huskers very soon to the Big 10 championship game or more? Will the NFL come calling on him? What if he becomes the "hot coach" again?

Some Husker fans have expressed doubts about Frost’s approach to offense. Some say it will never work in the Big 10. Maybe his offense is a better fit for the NFL? If the Husker Coach gets the Huskers going like Rhule did, will he find himself coaching on Sundays?

Will Coach Frost be watching closely to see if the former Baylor coach will Rhule in the NFL?

I think it is a fair question...

I don't think he would leave but I could see him just coaching until he is 50 and then retiring and enjoying his life.

25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think it is a fair question...

I don't think he would leave but I could see him just coaching until he is 50 and then retiring and enjoying his life.

He could do that on the NU salary alone.  Panther fan and I think Rhule is a good hire based on his experience as a HC at Baylor and Temple.  Players seem to like hime.  Limited pro experience, but turned around some college programs......Carolina needs a reset. He has the abilities to improve a program.  Has some good players there.  Interesting to see what happens with Cam......He might become the Cam fans had hoped for:dunno

If Frost had a turnaround here at Nebraska I could see him leaving for the NFL. I would assume the demands of a college coach far exceed an NFL coach from a year round view...but job security is probably more fragile in the NFL. With that said, once you become an NFL HC you ALWAYS have a landing pad somewhere.

Honestly, the more Nebraska has sucked the more I have gravitated towards the NFL. In general it is sound football and gameplans... just gotta get past the douchery of some players

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, UniversalMartin said:

If Frost had a turnaround here at Nebraska I could see him leaving for the NFL. I would assume the demands of a college coach far exceed an NFL coach from a year round view...but job security is probably more fragile in the NFL. With that said, once you become an NFL HC you ALWAYS have a landing pad somewhere.

Talking with a buddy today about this very thing.  Unless you completely screw the pooch as a coach in the NFL, the buddy system seems to work out pretty well. Might not be another HC position, but someone will hire you on as some type of coach.  

25 minutes ago, lo country said:

I was thinking Jason Garrett.  Saw the new Giants HC was interested in interviewing him for OC..Was also surprised Ron Rivera got scooped up so quick.  Seems like a genuinely nice guy.  Glad to see him land.  

I think both Garrett and Rivera are guys that have coaching value and even more importantly can communicate with players on a personal or professional level

• Plus1 1

Not sure why there was so much demand for Rhule?  Sure he's a decent coach but not elite in college football nor the best in his own conference.  Where do you rank him in the Big 12.  Sort of feels Kliff Kingsbury-esque.  OK, I guess.  

I think Frost is here to stay.  Reaching a championship game, losing, and then saying "turn-around over, I'm out" does not seem likely at all for his DNA.  I think he wants to make a mark and leave a legacy at Nebraska.  

2 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Not sure why there was so much demand for Rhule?  Sure he's a decent coach but not elite in college football nor the best in his own conference.  Where do you rank him in the Big 12.  Sort of feels Kliff Kingsbury-esque.  OK, I guess.  

He turned one program from 2 wins into back to back 10 win seasons in three years. He turned another from 1 win to 11 wins in three years. Kliff Kingsbury never finished ranked or had more than eight wins ever. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
8 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

I don’t think Rhule had any connection to Baylor other than a job.

Maybe that’s why we got the coaches kid from Baylor.  Dad knew he Rhule would be moving on up.

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

He turned one program from 2 wins into back to back 10 win seasons in three years. He turned another from 1 win to 11 wins in three years. Kliff Kingsbury never finished ranked or had more than eight wins ever. 

And he took a job that nobody with a good resume wanted- Baylor was a train wreck with the scandals.  I think the job he did there was amazing.  As to Frost, I hope the NFL does come calling at some point.  That will mean that he has Nebraska kicking a$$.