Settlement with CNN

I dunno.  If minors willingly do something newsworthy why shouldn't they be in the news?   It seems like the Sandmann kid gave up his rights to privacy when he participated in a public demonstration in Washington D.C.  If he's old enough to demonstrate he's old enough to lose the shield of privacy afforded to minors.  /jmho  

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, NUance said:

I dunno.  If minors willingly do something newsworthy why shouldn't they be in the news?   It seems like the Sandmann kid gave up his rights to privacy when he participated in a public demonstration in Washington D.C.  If he's old enough to demonstrate he's old enough to lose the shield of privacy afforded to minors.  /jmho  

Yeah.....I know it came out later that, supposedly, the situation was different than it originally looked by the video. 

However, the kid went into the public space and did something very public.  Unless CNN purposely and knowingly lied about him, I have a real problem with this settlement.

Now, if Greta wants to sue Fox News, I would have a problem with that too.  She put herself (and her parents allowed her to do it) in a VERY heated and public situation and she vilified openly many people.  Does this open them up to the ability for them to sue her for millions of dollars?

I never really said it out loud, because it's good to have young people passionate about the world.  However, I just roll my eyes at Greta.  She's a teenager without a formal education or any type of experience in anything she is passionate about and she was asked to speak at the UN?  Really???  The ONLY reason was to get a public reaction over a kid speaking out.  Honestly, I thought she came off as a snotty little brat even thought I support the UN and the US working towards solving the climate change issue.

So, her parents and other adults around her allow her to do this, and then criticize others if they criticize or say anything about her?  The world doesn't work that way.

I'll get off my soap box now.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the boy got cash because of the way CNN was portraying him?  I don't know if that was the reason but I think it was what his lawyers went going for.  

I feel bad for Greta, she is being used by her parents...if she was a child actress in Hollywood they would be ready to release the story about how poorly she has been treated by her family.  

24 minutes ago, NUance said:

It seems like the Sandmann kid gave up his rights to privacy when he participated in a public demonstration in Washington D.C. 

He didn't give up his rights to be protected from slander, though.

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Unless CNN purposely and knowingly lied about him, I have a real problem with this settlement.

I don't think it was purposefully and knowingly, but I think it was extreme legitimate negligence and carelessness in their reporting. Which is a legitimate thing to take a very powerful organization to task for, even if they didn't mean it.

10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't think it was purposefully and knowingly, but I think it was extreme legitimate negligence and carelessness in their reporting. Which is a legitimate thing to take a very powerful organization to task for, even if they didn't mean it.

Believe me, I'm not crying any tears over CNN.  Even though I don't believe their on the same level as Fox, their programming many times is an insult to journalism.

But, I would need to actually see what the judgement was based on before I can support or agree to this judgement.  

I guess I don't know much about the Sandman deal. I saw the pics/video of him staring at that guy. But I'm guessing CNN and others must have done more than show the image and probably took it too far in criticizing/slandering him. 

Generally, I think if minors act like adults in public then they give up the veil of minor protections. Sandman was old enough to attend a rally/protest so imo he is old enough to be treated as an adult for anything he did in that venue. Same, and moreso, with Greta T. She/They didn't seek out minor protections when it benefitted them getting their message out. I don't think they can unring that bell when the story goes the other way.

My post about Greta was meant to be a swipe at FoxNews more than anything.  Granted this is an assumption, but I can see the Fox hosts using this as a chance to claim CNN is mean and bad and evil and hates kids.  Meanwhile they are completely tone def about how they treat Greta, who is actually younger than this kid.

Oh well, just another day in American media...