Six Huskers in ESPN's Top 150 Players of All Time

Mavric

So, we have...

Johnny Rodgers - early 1970s. From Omaha.

Rich Glover - early 1970s. From New Jersey.
Dave Rimington - early 1980s. From Omaha.
Mike Rozier - early 1980s. From New Jersey.

Tommie Frazier - mid 1990s. From Florida.
Ndamukong Suh - late 2000s. From Oregon.

So, based on ESPN’s judgment...

Best Husker offensive player from the State of Nebraska - Johnny Rodgers.
Best Husker lineman from the State of Nebraska - Dave Rimington.
Four of the top six Husker players were not from the State of Nebraska.
Four of the top six Husker players from the decades of 1970s and 80s.
Signals a drop off in elite Husker talent since the mid-1990s.
One player in the last 25 years of Husker football.

Conclusions...

Must recruit elite talent from outside Nebraska (yes, we know that).
Attract and retain Nebraska’s own gems like Rodgers and Rimington.
Must facilitate elite talent in the current era of Husker football (so we don’t keep looking back in time for glory).

Frazier is too low, but going by stats you could argue he's too high. My two things with him are after his freshman year, he lost one game. He was co-mvp of that game, and between the missed field goal and refs should've won. And no one else will ever be mvp of 3 straight title games - I know he shared it in '93, still counts. 

It's impossible to truly rank these guys across positions and era, but they are all worthy inclusions in the top 150 for sure. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Frazier is too low, but going by stats you could argue he's too high. My two things with him are after his freshman year, he lost one game. He was co-mvp of that game, and between the missed field goal and refs should've won. And no one else will ever be mvp of 3 straight title games - I know he shared it in '93, still counts. 

It's impossible to truly rank these guys across positions and era, but they are all worthy inclusions in the top 150 for sure. 

So where’s Eddie George? He better be in the top 25 

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

If Tommie won the Heisman, I wonder if he would be ranked higher. Accolades beget accolades.

12 hours ago, krc1995 said:

So where’s Eddie George? He better be in the top 25 

They put him at 38. Eddie George, who never won a conference championship and only made one All-Conference team is listed one spot ahead of Johnny Rodgers, the most dynamic and exciting player in the 70s. By the way, Rodgers has more touchdowns and yards (50/6,059) than George (45/4302) in 12 fewer games. This list is dumb and rewards NFL longevity and TV personalities over college football success and relevance.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1