As The New Commissioner of NCAA football...

I need your support in my campaign to become the head guy of all of NCAA football...here are my campaign lies...uh...promises

1. There are too many bowl games.  Does anyone really want to watch a bowl named after a square cheese cracker between a mediocre 7-5 team and a 10-2 powerhouse (besides me, because you might have figured out I'm talking about Iowa State and Notre Dame...and I shut it off at half time because, frankly, I didn't want to watch it either).  The answer is a resounding NO!  I propose to take care of this problem by restructuring the ridiculous playoff system the present boneheads have in place.  At the end of the season, the top 30 teams in the nation (as determined by the AP or Coaches poll of whatever) will face off.  #1 vs #30...#2 vs #29... for 15 head to head matchups.  The next round will be 7 games with the highest ranked winner from the 1st round getting a bye.  Then a semi final based on remaining team ranks followed by the final.  All games will be held at the higher ranked teams home stadium.  Why should people from Nebraska have to spend all their money going to Pasadena to play USC if they are ranked higher than USC.  Let those idiots come to Lincoln in December and spend all their money here.  

Barring a new playoff system...I will demand that all bowl games take place in open stadiums and that half of the present bowl games be relocated above the Mason Dixon line so we can watch those fantastic athletes from Alabama and Florida play in the cold and snow.  

2.  There will be no more replays.  Real refs have been screwing it up for years without replay helping them...and they are still screwing it up only with twice the people getting twice the pay.  Replay actually causes cancer and increases obesity as more and more people go out for a smoke or grab a snack while waiting for replay officials to watch their 1956 Magnivox and determine that they don't really know what happened so they'll just uphold whatever.  Replay will be banned from college football as a public service to America

3.  Some terms will definitely be gotten rid of.  The "Did he make a football move" after a reception is the first one to go.  Football move?  Like...spike the ball?  Put on a jock?  The hell does that term even mean?  Either the guy caught it or he didn't!  When you eat do you get your meal taken away because you didn't make an eating move?  If you get someone pregnant does it not count because you didn't make a fornication move?  Stupid term...to be removed immediately.

4.  If the ball breaks the plane of the goal line the ball gets 6 points.but if YOU want 6 points, you need to get your fat a$$ over the goal line.or you get to try again.

That is just a few of the changes I will be making as Head of Football Operations for the NCAA.  I thank you for your support 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

56 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

I need your support in my campaign to become the head guy of all of NCAA football...here are my campaign lies...uh...promises

1. There are too many bowl games.  Does anyone really want to watch a bowl named after a square cheese cracker

[snip]

Would you get rid of the Foster Farms Bowl and the Music City Bowl?

2 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

1. There are too many bowl games.  Does anyone really want to watch a bowl named after a square cheese cracker between a mediocre 7-5 team and a 10-2 powerhouse (besides me, because you might have figured out I'm talking about Iowa State and Notre Dame...and I shut it off at half time because, frankly, I didn't want to watch it either).  The answer is a resounding NO!  I propose to take care of this problem by restructuring the ridiculous playoff system the present boneheads have in place.  At the end of the season, the top 30 teams in the nation (as determined by the AP or Coaches poll of whatever) will face off.  #1 vs #30...#2 vs #29... for 15 head to head matchups.  The next round will be 7 games with the highest ranked winner from the 1st round getting a bye.  Then a semi final based on remaining team ranks followed by the final.  All games will be held at the higher ranked teams home stadium.  Why should people from Nebraska have to spend all their money going to Pasadena to play USC if they are ranked higher than USC.  Let those idiots come to Lincoln in December and spend all their money here.  

I used to have this opinion. But, at this  point doesn’t really matter?

I also always thought teams that didn’t make it should be able to practice in the fall. 

this just allows more of that and is a small help towards an even competitive level. 

Nobody is forcing anyone to watch them     

• Plus1 1

The offseason is already too long...we need moar bowls!!!

I was against the playoff prior to it happening, fearing it would make for a less intense regular season..Turns out, the 4-team ''playoff'' has made the Bowl season mostly boring..

I was 10 when I saw our Huskers go into the Orange Bowl ranked 3rd or 4th and beat LSU to finish with our 1st MNC.

So many times, we were in the hunt until the end, and there were still several bowl games that still had a chance to win their own MNC if the right teams ahead of them lost.

It killed me a little inside when we couldn't play Mechicken in '97 and Penn State in '94, but it's still fun to argue with their fans over who would've won..Some of the best games are those that are never played.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I was against the playoff prior to it happening, fearing it would make for a less intense regular season..Turns out, the 4-team ''playoff'' has made the Bowl season mostly boring..

I was 10 when I saw our Huskers go into the Orange Bowl ranked 3rd or 4th and beat LSU to finish with our 1st MNC.

So many times, we were in the hunt until the end, and there were still several bowl games that still had a chance to win their own MNC if the right teams ahead of them lost.

How has the playoff made bowl season more boring?  Back when you were 10, going into bowl season, there were maybe 2-3 games that would decide the MNC based on who won what.  Now, there are three games that decide the MNC.

This is a weak argument against the playoffs.  But, no-where close to how weak this one is:

5 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

It killed me a little inside when we couldn't play Mechicken in '97 and Penn State in '94, but it's still fun to argue with their fans over who would've won..Some of the best games are those that are never played.

You don't want it won on the field and instead won by voters......so that you can have an argument every once in a while with opposing fans. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I will contend that the main reason why Husker fans think the bowl season is more boring now than back in the 80s and 90s is because we aren't in playoffs....heck...we aren't even going to bowl games.

Sad.....but that tends to make the games/season more boring.

I love bowl season. After the regular season it's the best season.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I will contend that the main reason why Husker fans think the bowl season is more boring now than back in the 80s and 90s is because we aren't in playoffs....heck...we aren't even going to bowl games.

Sad.....but that tends to make the games/season more boring.

If you don't like the bowl season and the number of bowls, don't watch.  It really is that simple.  IMO there may be a few  to many bowls, but I would only reduce it down by about 4-5 anyway.  I like the bowl season, because it is more college football to watch.  

If I were commissioner 1. I would allow non bowl teams to get practice at the end of the season even if they don't get to a bowl game.  That extra practice is important in a team's development.  Maybe they only get an extra 10 instead of 15.  

2. I would make the review of plays a coach challenge just like it is in the NFL.  That is one of the few ways the NFL has it right.  You get 2 a game and that is it.   

3. I would move the starting point of OT back to the 35 yard line.  That would IMO make OT go faster and a team would have to get at least a first down to have a decent shot at a FG.  

15 minutes ago, NUinID said:

2. I would make the review of plays a coach challenge just like it is in the NFL.  That is one of the few ways the NFL has it right.  You get 2 a game and that is it.   

3. I would move the starting point of OT back to the 35 yard line.  That would IMO make OT go faster and a team would have to get at least a first down to have a decent shot at a FG.  

The first rule I could take or leave but I think these are really solid. It would be nice if the review officials could only stop the game if there is something major that needs to be overturned but unfortunately they stop it and take a look at every little thing it seems like. I get it, but agree it's too much

6 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Turns out, the 4-team ''playoff'' has made the Bowl season mostly boring.

I agree with this and especially because of the way they scheduled things this year. They played the playoff games before all of the top bowls and that Clemson/OSU game was so good it just made the remaining games feel blah IMO. I'm fine with the playoffs and even would be in favor of expansion, but all of the bowl games need to come before the playoffs start so I can enjoy those and then watch the playoffs.

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

How has the playoff made bowl season more boring?  Back when you were 10, going into bowl season, there were maybe 2-3 games that would decide the MNC based on who won what.  Now, there are three games that decide the MNC.

This is a weak argument against the playoffs.  But, no-where close to how weak this one is:

You don't want it won on the field and instead won by voters......so that you can have an argument every once in a while with opposing fans. 

It might tie in with why the NFL almost never interests me unless Huskers are involved...Teams too often play each other more than once.  It used to be in college ball at least, you had to leave everything on the field during your one and only chance at that team..Regular season games were ''win or die''...Until we finally beat Oklahoma in '79 and had to play them again in the Orange Bowl.  My Cousin was redshirting that year but made the trip...He was so frustrated because we lost the OB even after outplaying them.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Orange_Bowl

Winning it on the field is a great catch phrase, but so much depends on who you draw...Rock University vs. Paper State vs. Scissors  A&M.

Arguing is fun...Especially around here...