Huskers Hire New Assistant Volleyball Coach - Tyler Hildebrand

I'd have to guess, he would also have a "head coach in waiting" line in his new job description to go along with the new title.  Cook looks good, still gets it done, has one of the top 3-4 programs in the country and has a model of how to do it.  Terry Pettit brought him over when he was ready to step away and Cook left a very good program to do so.  I think the legacy of Cook will be when and how he steps away as no one can argue with what he has done for the sport not only in Nebraska but around the country.  The NCAA final four is in Omaha this year and Nebraska has a full squad coming back, it may be the right time to be thinking that way.  

I wonder if Reyes is moving on?

The hiring of Hildebrand and possibly Hunter makes for a crowded bench.  During matches,  Reyes was usually the one on the floor making calls while Kayla was with Cook on the chairs.  When Hildebrand was here,  he was usually on the floor while Dani was with Cook.  

There is no limit on the number of coaches you can have but it makes me wonder. 

Salary information is out. He's... making decent money.

Hildebrand earns promotion and larger salary in second stint with Nebraska volleyball program

The second stint for Tyler Hildebrand on the coaching staff for the Nebraska volleyball team came with both a new job title and a considerably larger salary.

Nebraska announced the addition of Hildebrand as the Huskers’ associate head coach on Monday. This is the first time Cook has given the title of associate head coach to one of the two full-time assistant coaches. Hildebrand will have the spot that opened up last month when Kayla Banwarth left to be the head coach at Ole Miss.

Hildebrand’s salary will be $175,000 per year, according to a copy of his contract obtained by the Journal Star on Wednesday. Hildebrand signed the contact on Jan. 10. His salary will be more than many NCAA Division I women's head coaches made last season.

Hildebrand was paid $100,000 per year the first time he coached at Nebraska, which was the highest salary ever for a Nebraska volleyball assistant coach.

2 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

Salaries are still pretty low, IMO.  For a revenue producing sport that is one of the  top 5 programs in the country, I'd be happy to see salaries doubled for all 3 coaches.  Pay them well, keep them here, keep building upward and onward.

Do some research on what coaches at top ten schools make. Both Cook and now Hildebrand are at the top of their profession.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Do some research on what coaches at top ten schools make. Both Cook and now Hildebrand are at the top of their profession.

I understand that and do know what the "going rate" is.  Someone has to be "first" or "push the bar" why not here?  We are flush with $$$ from the B1G and the sport makes money at UNL.  Why not have an arms race for V-ball?  I'd think that our fans deserve it and those in the program do too.  Everything does not have to be about football.  At least V-ball is good :D

2 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

I understand that and do know what the "going rate" is.  Someone has to be "first" or "push the bar" why not here?  We are flush with $$$ from the B1G and the sport makes money at UNL.  Why not have an arms race for V-ball?  I'd think that our fans deserve it and those in the program do too.  Everything does not have to be about football.  At least V-ball is good :D

Pretty sure we're pushing the bar quite a bit.  We're not paying an assistant more than a lot of head coaches are getting.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Pretty sure we're pushing the bar quite a bit.  We're not paying an assistant more than a lot of head coaches are getting.

I'd say he is more than just an "assistant" with the title of "associate head coach" and more than likely "coach in waiting"  He is one of the best young coaches in the country.  Again, someone has to be first and we have the funds to do it.  Why not solidify the program for years to come by not only locking in Hildebrand, but also make it worth the while of other coaches to come and stay.  Jaylen is an up and comer too, why would you want to leave NE to be a head coach somewhere else if the $$ and environment is perfect?  

7 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

I'd say he is more than just an "assistant" with the title of "associate head coach" and more than likely "coach in waiting"  He is one of the best young coaches in the country.  Again, someone has to be first and we have the funds to do it.  Why not solidify the program for years to come by not only locking in Hildebrand, but also make it worth the while of other coaches to come and stay. 

We literally are doing it.  Not sure why that is difficult to see.

7 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

Jaylen is an up and comer too, why would you want to leave NE to be a head coach somewhere else if the $$ and environment is perfect?  

To ... uh ... you know .... be a head coach.

• Plus1 1