1995 Huskers on very short list (with 2019 LSU) as Best Ever

This is a very entertaining & well written article about the LSU program this year, and where it came from - but I’d like to connect some dots for long-suffering Cornhusker fans.

This quote (about LSU) stood out to me: “The number of wins might have wavered, but the pride only rarely did, sustaining itself through the thin of most of the 20th century . . . .” This is what was in danger of evaporating when Moos hired Frost as NU’s head coach. Even enduring losing seasons in his first two years, I believe this same quote applies to the majority of Cornhusker fans today. 

Secondly, Joe Burrows (and the coaching staff that was willing to change the playbook to accommodate his greatness), flipped the script on the STYLE of LSU in just one year. Yes, they had the horses to do it, but this lesson should not be lost: One player, particularly at QB, can change everything in the locker room. But only if the staff is willing to give the ball to the best player - not necessarily “their guy”. Nebraska needs clear-eyed evaluators of players and the willingness to reward those players that win the competition for every position. Could Smothers become NU’s Joe Burrows? We shall see!

Thirdly, Burrows was smart with his running ability. He ran when he had opportunities and he used his legs to avoid pressure (and was not afraid to throw the ball away and live to play another down - or series). A smart QB who thinks pass first but runs when the opportunity presents itself is perhaps more of a nightmare for opposing defenses than one you know is a running threat every time they touch the ball.

Forth: LSU did it with “a brand of decidedly 21st-century football replete with a lot of big plays”.  Much of LSU’s success is due to the OC’s playbook which came from the New Orleans Saints. Is that not the formula that Frost is working to bring to the B1G? 

If I didn’t know better, I would say that the whole SEC may need to adjust to stopping the new LSU offense. It just soundly defeated one of the best programs in the country.

Keep the faith, Husker fans. Our bus is heading in the right direction, and as long as our Head Coach is willing to do what it takes to attract, evaluate and develop players (and his Assistant Coaches) with a clear eye - it may not be long before the loyalty of Nebraska fans is rewarded with Excellence again.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

LSU played great football no doubt but I can’t rate them at the level of the best ever (95 Huskers still the greatest team ever).   I’d place them in the top five ever though.  Clemson is a great team and several others LSU best are damn good too.  Their schedule is tremendously tough over 15 games too.  But too many not so dominant wins sprinkled in there which indicate weakness to me.  
I think 19 LSU vs 95 NU would be a fab contest but I favor Big Red due to our unstoppable offense and speed on defense.   Huskers win 42 - 31.   That’d my “scientific” and totally biased opinion.   71 Husker defense would have held LSU to less than 30 too.  Not sure how the 71 offense would do but special teams have an edge in that one.  
Of course one can’t truly know how  teams from such deferent eras (rules, sizes, etc) but relatively speaking those 71 dudes were extremely talented and tough as can be!  

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

They said the same thing last year. Recency bias is always strong with these 

“The King is dead. Long live the King.”?

I agree. Writers need something to write. But 60 TDS???

Your point makes Nebraska’s inclusion on that list much more impressive.

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

If I didn’t know better, I would say that the whole SEC may need to adjust to stopping the new LSU offense. It just soundly defeated one of the best programs in the country.

LSU was very good this year, and they may be one of the greatest teams ever, but I would pump the breaks on the SEC needing to adjust. They may be just fine without Burrow, or they may fall back to where they were before. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, huskerfan333157 said:

LSU also played 3 more top 10 teams than Nebraska.  That passing game would have given 95 team troubles.  We would still win by 3 to 7 points but it would be closer than most think.  Most people wont admit that because we're way too biased when it comes to Nebraska.

One thing that gives the 95 skers an advantage is the type of offense they ran. LSU thrives on being able to lock down your recievers and force you into a 1 dimensional game. Tom's offense wouldn't be affected by this. It would certainly be a shootout

There are four teams that are untouchable in regards to dominance in the AP Era (1936-).

• 1945 Army: The single most dominant team of all-time. They ran two units deep, completely substituting their offense. The meat of their offense, Doc Blanchard (54' shot put and 10.0 100y) and Glenn Davis (6.1 60y and 20.9 220y) are incredibly physically impressive even by the standards of today. Number one offense (maybe ever) and number one defense in 1945. Only argument against them is that they were the 2nd most successful US Army team that year.
  • 1995 Nebraska: 4 top ten victories, 0 games in question at the half. Greatest punt coverage unit of all-time.
  • 1972 USC: The team that just wore out their opponents turned 6 tied or one possession games at half into laughers during the 3rd quarter. They had no weaknesses.
  • 1971 Nebraska: Nobody within two touchdowns at half except for an Oklahoma team that could just as easily be on this list.

This LSU team is similar to last year's Clemson, 2004 USC, or 2001 Miami in terms of being a ridiculously talented team that had a few close games but put it together when they needed it in the big game.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

You could argue that lsu is definitely top 3, even number 1.  They beat 7 top 10 teams, pretty impressive.  Definitely the best passing offense in college football history.

7 top ten teams in the final rankings?  I don't care what they were ranked when they played them, that is meaningless.  I see 5.  #2 Clemson, #4 UGA, #6 Florida, #7 Oklahoma, #8 Alabama.   They also beat #14 Auburn and 5-loss Texas at #25.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

LSU had 3 close games. Nebraska had 0.

Texas finished 8-5 and they beat them by 7. Auburn finished 9-4 and lost to Minnesota in the bowl game, won 23-20. Close win vs a good 11-2 Bama team. 

We scored 53.2 ppg and gave up 14.5 ppg. LSU avg 48.4 ppg and gave up 21.9 ppg. People wanna talk about that LSU offense because it is more fancy (and amazing, one of the best I've ever seen) but Nebraska offense was possibly the best ever. Completely dominant. Frazier, Green, Phillips, fullbacks. Best O-line in the nation by a mile. Even if you want to call it a wash our defense was 100% better. 

95' Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State finished 10-2. We beat Florida 62-24 in the Natty...guess who won the natty the next season? Florida 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1