1995 Huskers on very short list (with 2019 LSU) as Best Ever

17 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Exactly.  They played a tougher schedule than 95 Nebraska.  We are still better but they have came the closest since 01 miami imo.

I was just listening to a podcast about this... They discussed how 01 Miami is overrated and a lot of their greatness is based on how their players did in the NFL. 

• Plus1 1

On 1/14/2020 at 6:57 AM, huskerfan333157 said:

You could argue that lsu is definitely top 3, even number 1.  They beat 7 top 10 teams, pretty impressive.  Definitely the best passing offense in college football history.

I agree that this is very impressive.

I think the only argument I could make in favor of a team like 1995 Nebraska is, we only played four teams that finished in the Top Ten. Had that team played more, I have no doubt they would have beaten them.

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Funny, but if a single play had gone differently, Nebraska 1983 would always be part of this conversation. 

Yes. I think it shows how elite of a coach Osborne really was. He had the program at an elite level for 3 decades. Also in each of those decades he was either the head coach or OC for a team from each decade that could be considered one of the best teams ever. 

1971 Nebraska

1983 Nebraska

1995 Nebraska

He adapted with the changing landscape. Pretty amazing.

Also to the OP, I think it's really true that a single player can turn a program around, or at least take it to a significantly higher level. 

One of the reasons we expect to see big changes immediately is because it happens with other programs every year. Attitude. Scheme. Playcalling. Player development. And yeah, sometimes a bit of luck and timing. A couple key injuries can screw a lot of things up. 

21 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I agree with Landlord to a point but to me the only real difference is that LSU went through the playoff. 

Looking at teams with winning records, 2 of those for LSU this year were Utah State and Georgia Southern.  Oklahoma is not in there with a winning record for Nebraska after a 24-24 tie with top 20 ranked Texas.  We beat them 37-0.  They were not a great team that year but to me much better competition than Georgia Southern- especially once the rivalry is factored in. 

When you figure # of games into the equation, it looks more even.  LSU had several games scheduled against low quality opponents.  NU only had Pacific.  Add a couple patsies into the equation for NU in 95...  

% of LSU's games against top 10 competition = 33%

% of Nebraska's games against top 10 competition = 33% 

Average margin of victory;

LSU = 26.5

NU = 38

Closest game

LSU = 3 point victory

NU = 14 point victory (was 28-7 before meaningless touchdown in garbage time)

There are a ton more stats to list but cherry picking further doesn't convince anyone.  LSU had a great season that deserves serious accolades.  But they weren't on the level that 95 Nebraska was.    

Deep down i'm guessing that every Nebraska fan that year felt like we could beat anyone in the nation in 95.  I know for a fact LSU fans did not feel that way this year.

we thought our 95 team could beat most pro-teams that year.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Funny, but if a single play had gone differently, Nebraska 1983 would always be part of this conversation. 

The lore of that season was the guts TO had against Miami on the final play.  It was a great year but even had they won it wouldn't belong in the same conversation with 95 Nebraska in my opinion.  The Big 8 wasn't that strong that year nationally and we had a few close games against just ok teams.  For instance, a 14-10 victory over an 8-4 Oklahoma State and 28-21 over 8-4 Oklahoma.  Our offense was pretty sensational that year though.  My favorite, 69-19 over Colorado.     

5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

The lore of that season was the guts TO had against Miami on the final play.  It was a great year but even had they won it wouldn't belong in the same conversation with 95 Nebraska in my opinion.  The Big 8 wasn't that strong that year nationally and we had a few close games against just ok teams.  For instance, a 14-10 victory over an 8-4 Oklahoma State and 28-21 over 8-4 Oklahoma.  Our offense was pretty sensational that year though.  My favorite, 69-19 over Colorado.     

Yeah, the lack of Top 10 opponents would always nick that 83 team's reputation, but the Huskers were so dominant that Nebraska football had become a national story, and the narrative going into that Orange Bowl had us as possibly the best college football team in history. '95 team was probably better across the board, but I'm guessing had Nebraska closed the deal in '83, they'd still be popping up in these discussions. 

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, the lack of Top 10 opponents would always nick that 83 team's reputation, but the Huskers were so dominant that Nebraska football had become a national story, and the narrative going into that Orange Bowl had us as possibly the best college football team in history. '95 team was probably better across the board, but I'm guessing had Nebraska closed the deal in '83, they'd still be popping up in these discussions. 

Especially here at home.  Still irks me thinking about Miami having a home game for that one.  

On 1/14/2020 at 9:27 AM, huskerfan333157 said:

LSU also played 3 more top 10 teams than Nebraska.  That passing game would have given 95 team troubles.  We would still win by 3 to 7 points but it would be closer than most think.  Most people wont admit that because we're way too biased when it comes to Nebraska.

I mean .... Wuerffel in 95 was #5 in the nation in completion percentage, #6 in yards, #1 in yards per attempt, #1 in touchdowns and #1 in efficiency rating.  We seemed to handle him without too much trouble.

• Plus1 2