1995 Huskers on very short list (with 2019 LSU) as Best Ever

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean .... Wuerffel in 95 was #5 in the nation in completion percentage, #6 in yards, #1 in yards per attempt, #1 in touchdowns and #1 in efficiency rating.  We seemed to handle him without too much trouble.

Except burrow threw 25 more touchdowns than wuerffel and had 2500 more yards than wuerffel.  Had 19 percent better completion percentage.  Had a 32 point better rating than wuerffel while playing against tougher competition than wuerffel. What was the point of bringing up those stats when burrow had a lot better ones? 

49 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Except burrow threw 25 more touchdowns than wuerffel and had 2500 more yards than wuerffel.  Had 19 percent better completion percentage.  Had a 32 point better rating than wuerffel while playing against tougher competition than wuerffel. What was the point of bringing up those stats when burrow had a lot better ones? 

First of all, you talk a lot about stats then leave out the most important one.  Burrow also threw the ball 200 more times than Wuerffel.  So of course he was going to pile up a lot more stats (plus played in two more games).  They both averaged 10.8 yards per attempt for the year, so they were both equally efficient throwing it.  And Burrow wasn't 19 percent better completing passes.  

The game of football has changed A LOT in 20+ years.  Volume of stats aren't really comparable.

We faced the best passing offense of the day and shut them down.

If you're saying your going to bring the 95 defense as it was and drop them in to play LSU with no previous experience against an offense like that, yeah they might struggle a bit.  But if you're going to say those same group of defenders were playing against other teams that were doing similar things (even though they weren't as good as LSU) and then play, I think they'd more than hold their own. 

People were making the same argument before the 95 Fiesta Bowl - Nebraska hasn't seen a passing game like this so they'll struggle to defend it.  Didn't work out that way.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

First of all, you talk a lot about stats then leave out the most important one.  Burrow also threw the ball 200 more times than Wuerffel.  So of course he was going to pile up a lot more stats (plus played in two more games).  They both averaged 10.8 yards per attempt for the year, so they were both equally efficient throwing it.  And Burrow wasn't 19 percent better completing passes.  

The game of football has changed A LOT in 20+ years.  Volume of stats aren't really comparable.

If you're saying your going to bring the 95 defense as it was and drop them in to play LSU with no previous experience against an offense like that, yeah they might struggle a bit.  But if you're going to say those same group of defenders were playing against other teams that were doing similar things (even though they weren't as good as LSU) and then play, I think they'd more than hold their own. 

People were making the same argument before the 95 Fiesta Bowl - Nebraska hasn't seen a passing game like this so they'll struggle to defend it.  Didn't work out that way.

Also Burrow had the advantage of how the refs and rules favor offenses now days. I am pretty sure Florida receivers had to work harder to get open due to less PI calls.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Also Burrow had the advantage of how the refs and rules favor offenses now days. I am pretty sure Florida receivers had to work harder to get open due to less PI calls.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't linemen being allowed 3 yards downfield for RPOs relatively new? Or did no one take advantage of it until recently?

42 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't linemen being allowed 3 yards downfield for RPOs relatively new? Or did no one take advantage of it until recently?

The rule hasn't changed.  But teams are taking advantage of the rule much more now.  

The game has changed.

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

Sorry, it was 12% better. Burrow had 76, wuerffel had 64.  LSU's wrs were better than Floridas wrs.  I watched both teams and thats an assessment I made.

It is a futile endeavor to compare championship teams 25 years apart. The game changes a lot over that period of time.

Come to think of it, most of the players from 25 years ago would have been kicked out of the game for targeting calls. Also, how many catches and fumbles would have been overturned from instant replay? Even wrongly overturned ;)

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

But players now are faster and stronger.

Just a few examples without getting in the weeds. All these guys were key players on the 95 team and pretty much measure up to the size and weight of todays players. We actually had some pretty big DB's. I think all were NFL players for the most part so I dont think we are debating they had the speed.

Ahman Green was like 6-1 210

Lawrence Phillips- 6-0 215

Tyrone Williams - 6-0 180

Tony Veland- 6-2 205

Frazier- 6-2 210

Michael Booker- 6-2 210

Christian Peter- 6-2 290

Mike Rucker- 6-5 225

Grant Wistrom- 6-5 235

Eric Warfield- 6-1 175

Pretty much the same standard size today. 

I still am thinking 2001 Miami is constantly overrated...

Amazing, a team that was THAT loaded with future NFL talent underwhelmed so often during the season..These are the greatest TEAMS.

2001 Miami and 2019 LSU had the most TALENTED teams. but I'd take most of these top 10 teams over 2001 Miami..

Seems hard to compare teams from different decades with the rule changes ..Holding now being pretty much allowed on the line. Smash Mouth hits now getting a one game suspension, Less of a team sport. Too heavy a reliance on QB play resulting in less consistency and more probability of the occasional upset when the QB gets hot.

6 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Amazing, a team that was THAT loaded with future NFL talent underwhelmed so often during the season..These are the greatest TEAMS.

2001 Miami and 2019 LSU had the most TALENTED teams. but I'd take most of these top 10 teams over 2001 Miami..

How are you figuring this?

There were only two games within three TDs.  LSU had four of them this year.  Miami went through a stretch where they allowed 17 points over a five game span.  

On 1/20/2020 at 12:33 AM, HUSKER 37 said:

Seems hard to compare teams from different decades with the rule changes ..Holding now being pretty much allowed on the line. Smash Mouth hits now getting a one game suspension, Less of a team sport. Too heavy a reliance on QB play resulting in less consistency and more probability of the occasional upset when the QB gets hot.

18 hours ago, Mavric said:

How are you figuring this?

There were only two games within three TDs.  LSU had four of them this year.  Miami went through a stretch where they allowed 17 points over a five game span.  

I'm not even convinced they were the best team in a weak 2001..

With THAT much future NFL (Pro Bowl) talent playing against the Big East, they should've been able to name their scores...Even WITH Uncle Fester coaching them...

I don't remember paying much attention to them until around mid season, The games that stuck out to me and made me think we somehow had a chance with them even though we were one dimensional and after we'd gotten blown out by Colorado 62-36..

Miami (FL) at Boston College
  1 2 3 4 Total
 No. 1 Hurricanes 0 9 0 9 18
Eagles 0 0 7 0 7
  •  

Miami started with a 9–0 lead over the Boston College Eagles, but Miami's offense began to sputter as Dorsey struggled with the swirling winds, throwing four interceptions. The Hurricane defense picked up the slack by limiting BC to just seven points. However, in the final minute of the fourth quarter, with Miami clinging to a 12–7 lead, BC quarterback Brian St. Pierre led the Eagles from their own 30-yard line all the way down to the Hurricanes' 9-yard line. With BC on the verge of a momentous upset, St. Pierre attempted to pass to receiver Ryan Read at the Miami 2-yard line. However, the ball ricocheted off the leg of Miami cornerback Mike Rumph, landing in the hands of defensive end Matt Walters. Walters ran ten yards with the ball before teammate Ed Reed grabbed the ball out of his hands at around the Miami 20-yard line and raced the remaining 80-yards for a touchdown. Miami won 18–7.

Miami (FL) at Virginia Tech
  1 2 3 4 Total
 No. 1 Hurricanes 0 20 3 3 26
No. 14 Hokies 3 0 7 14 24

The final hurdle to the Rose Bowl BCS National Championship Game was at Virginia Tech. Miami jumped on Virginia Tech early, leading 20–3 at halftime, and 26–10 in the fourth quarter. But despite being outgained by the Hurricanes by 134 yards and being dominated in time-of-possession, the Hokies never quit. After a Virginia Tech touchdown and two-point conversion cut Miami's lead to 26–18, the Hokies blocked a Miami punt and returned it for another score, cutting Miami's lead to just two points. But with a chance to tie the game with another two-point conversion, Virginia Tech sophomore Ernest Wilford dropped a pass in the endzone. Still, the resilient Hokies had one more chance to win the game late, taking possession of the ball at midfield and needing only a field goal to take the lead. But a diving, game-saving interception by Ed Reed sealed the Miami victory, 26–24.[12] Defeating Virginia Tech earned the top-ranked Hurricanes an invitation to the Rose Bowl to take on BCS #2 Nebraska for the national championship

They need to stop this claim of placing every single team that wins a national championship now a days among the "greatest team ever" list. They said the same thing with 2018 Clemson as well as Dabo and squad were so quick to claim being the best ever as well. I mean there's going to be another 15-0 national champion next year, and the next year, and so on. Give things some time first to develop before claiming that the very next team to win a title is also now automatically in the conversation of being the "greatest team ever". It's nonsense. 

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I'm not even convinced they were the best team in a weak 2001..

With THAT much future NFL (Pro Bowl) talent playing against the Big East, they should've been able to name their scores...Even WITH Uncle Fester coaching them...

I don't remember paying much attention to them until around mid season, The games that stuck out to me and made me think we somehow had a chance with them even though we were one dimensional and after we'd gotten blown out by Colorado 62-36..

They pretty much DID name their score.  They had won their first seven games by a combined 307 to 65.  Other than the rivalry game with Florida State (which they won by three scores) it was 258 to 38 - basically allowing 7 points per game. 

Boston College was a classic trap game - road game coming off two huge wins with two Top 20 teams coming up in the following weeks. Miami turned it over five times.  Not all that different from the 1995 Huskers only managing to beat 3-8 Washington State by 14 points.  It happens.  BC finished the year ranked.

Miami had the Virginia Tech game fairly well in hand before allowing two late scores - one on a blocked punt - to make it interesting down the stretch.