Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cheekygeek

1995 Huskers on very short list (with 2019 LSU) as Best Ever

Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

LSU had 3 close games. Nebraska had 0.

 

If LSU played the top 12 teams in the nation but only won by an average of 7, and Nebraska played the bottom 12 teams in the nation but won by 40, which is more impressive and which is likely the better team? 

 

At some point a team is allowed to have close games when they're playing great competition all the time. Is it this time? IDK, but it's silly to dismiss the fact that they had close games so easily.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

One thing that gives the 95 skers an advantage is the type of offense they ran. LSU thrives on being able to lock down your recievers and force you into a 1 dimensional game. Tom's offense wouldn't be affected by this. It would certainly be a shootout

I definitely see a high scoring game.  It would be tough to stop their offense but I don't see them stopping ours neither.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

If LSU played the top 12 teams in the nation but only won by an average of 7, and Nebraska played the bottom 12 teams in the nation but won by 40, which is more impressive and which is likely the better team? 

 

At some point a team is allowed to have close games when they're playing great competition all the time. Is it this time? IDK, but it's silly to dismiss the fact that they had close games so easily.

Exactly.  They played a tougher schedule than 95 Nebraska.  We are still better but they have came the closest since 01 miami imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

 

If LSU played the top 12 teams in the nation but only won by an average of 7, and Nebraska played the bottom 12 teams in the nation but won by 40, which is more impressive and which is likely the better team? 

 

At some point a team is allowed to have close games when they're playing great competition all the time. Is it this time? IDK, but it's silly to dismiss the fact that they had close games so easily.

Nebraska in 1995 defeated 4 teams that FINISHED in the top 10. All Blowouts

 

LSU in 2019 defeated 5 teams that FINISHED in the top 10. Couple close games.

 

Both very impressive. But when people are throwing around 7 top 10 teams that is a little inflated because what matters is where did those teams finish the season. That is the true reflection what kind of team they were. For example its hard for me to give them credit for beating Texas as a top 10 team when they didnt even finish in the top 25.

  • Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

This is a very entertaining & well written article about the LSU program this year, and where it came from - but I’d like to connect some dots for long-suffering Cornhusker fans.

 

This quote (about LSU) stood out to me: “The number of wins might have wavered, but the pride only rarely did, sustaining itself through the thin of most of the 20th century . . . .” This is what was in danger of evaporating when Moos hired Frost as NU’s head coach. Even enduring losing seasons in his first two years, I believe this same quote applies to the majority of Cornhusker fans today. 
 

Secondly, Joe Burrows (and the coaching staff that was willing to change the playbook to accommodate his greatness), flipped the script on the STYLE of LSU in just one year. Yes, they had the horses to do it, but this lesson should not be lost: One player, particularly at QB, can change everything in the locker room. But only if the staff is willing to give the ball to the best player - not necessarily “their guy”. Nebraska needs clear-eyed evaluators of players and the willingness to reward those players that win the competition for every position. Could Smothers become NU’s Joe Burrows? We shall see!

 

Thirdly, Burrows was smart with his running ability. He ran when he had opportunities and he used his legs to avoid pressure (and was not afraid to throw the ball away and live to play another down - or series). A smart QB who thinks pass first but runs when the opportunity presents itself is perhaps more of a nightmare for opposing defenses than one you know is a running threat every time they touch the ball.

 

Forth: LSU did it with “a brand of decidedly 21st-century football replete with a lot of big plays”.  Much of LSU’s success is due to the OC’s playbook which came from the New Orleans Saints. Is that not the formula that Frost is working to bring to the B1G? 
 

If I didn’t know better, I would say that the whole SEC may need to adjust to stopping the new LSU offense. It just soundly defeated one of the best programs in the country.

 

Keep the faith, Husker fans. Our bus is heading in the right direction, and as long as our Head Coach is willing to do what it takes to attract, evaluate and develop players (and his Assistant Coaches) with a clear eye - it may not be long before the loyalty of Nebraska fans is rewarded with Excellence again.

Great post.  I agree with most of it. Couple points.

 

-NU 95' would beat this LSU team 8 out of 10 times.  That team was more physical than any team in the history of college football, and would impose their will on the lines.

-LSU wasn't even the best team this year, so how could they be the greatest of all time. Ohio State was the best team this year, im sorry but they got jobbed along with bad luck against Clemson, and OSU would beat LSU 6 of 10 times.  They were both very good.  Ohio State was on a different level than Clemson, but lost their 2nd best defender, their best 2 offensive players had leg injuries they were pushing through, and every single thing that could go wrong did.  And yet they still should have won.  5 of 10 times OSU BLOWS OUT Clemson.  And Clemson had a shot against LSU.

-I strongly agree with the example of LSU playing their best QB, even though he was not "their guy".  LSU ffinishes 9-3 or so without Burrow.  The kid from Ohio...maybe Nebraska would have finished the same with Luke?  If Martinez is a different guy im fine with him being our QB, but if he is the same guy (especially mentally) as this past year, how in the hell can we start him?  

-Lastly, it does not take 10 years.  If you do things right, and with a lil luck, it can take as short as 4 or 5 years.  Look at Clemson.  They were on the level of Nebraska just 3 years before they became the most dominant team in all of college football.  It will either take us 3 more years max to be nationally relevant, or it wont ever happen (atleast in the forseeable future) nothing takes 10 years.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

-LSU wasn't even the best team this year, so how could they be the greatest of all time. Ohio State was the best team this year, im sorry but they got jobbed along with bad luck against Clemson, and OSU would beat LSU 6 of 10 times.  They were both very good.  Ohio State was on a different level than Clemson, but lost their 2nd best defender, their best 2 offensive players had leg injuries they were pushing through, and every single thing that could go wrong did.  And yet they still should have won.  5 of 10 times OSU BLOWS OUT Clemson.  And Clemson had a shot against LSU.

Boy....I was with you till this. :blink:

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Nebraska in 1995 defeated 4 teams that FINISHED in the top 10. All Blowouts

 

LSU in 2019 defeated 5 teams that FINISHED in the top 10. Couple close games.

 

Both very impressive. But when people are throwing around 7 top 10 teams that is a little inflated because what matters is where did those teams finish the season. That is the true reflection what kind of team they were. For example its hard for me to give them credit for beating Texas as a top 10 team when they didnt even finish in the top 25.

 

 

Right, hence I didn't make that argument. But compare the entire schedules:

 

LSU

NR Georgia Southern 7-6

#25 Texas 8-5

NR Northwestern State 3-9

NR Vanderbilt 3-9

NR Utah State 7-6

#6 Florida 11-2

NR Mississippi State 6-7

#14 Auburn 9-4

#8 Alabama 11-2

NR Ole Miss 4-8

NR Arkansas 2-10

NR Texas A&M 8-5

#4 Georgia 12-2 (Postseason)

#6 Oklahoma 12-2 (Postseason)

#2 Clemsoon 14-1 (Postseason)

 

2 top 5 teams

5top 10 teams

6 top 15 teams

7 top 25 teams

10 winning record teams

 

 

Nebraska

NR Oklahoma State 4-8

NR Michigan State 6-5-1

NR Arizonoa State 6-5

NR Pacific 3-8

NR Washington State 3-8

NR Missouri 3-8

#6 Kansas State 10-2

#4 Colorado 10-2

NR Iowa State 3-8

#10 Kansas 10-2

NR Oklahoma 5-5-1

#2 Florida 12-1 (Postseason)

 

2 top 5 teams

4 top 10 teams

4 top 15 teams

4 top 25 teams

6 winning record teams 

 

We played some good competition and obviously proved ourselves against it but LSU's schedules was significantly more difficult (part of that being playoff and conference championship games which we didn't have the chance to play, but nonetheless make their schedule harder).

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

You'd think as prolific and dominant as he was this season, people would know his name.

 

I think your Sarcasm-O-Meter is on the fritz.  Just sayin..  

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Boy....I was with you till this. :blink:

 

 

Tell me where i went wrong lol.  You think LSU was better than Ohio State i take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Landlord to a point but to me the only real difference is that LSU went through the playoff. 

 

Looking at teams with winning records, 2 of those for LSU this year were Utah State and Georgia Southern.  Oklahoma is not in there with a winning record for Nebraska after a 24-24 tie with top 20 ranked Texas.  We beat them 37-0.  They were not a great team that year but to me much better competition than Georgia Southern- especially once the rivalry is factored in. 

 

When you figure # of games into the equation, it looks more even.  LSU had several games scheduled against low quality opponents.  NU only had Pacific.  Add a couple patsies into the equation for NU in 95...  

  

% of LSU's games against top 10 competition = 33%

% of Nebraska's games against top 10 competition = 33% 

 

Average margin of victory;

LSU = 26.5

NU = 38

 

Closest game

LSU = 3 point victory

NU = 14 point victory (was 28-7 before meaningless touchdown in garbage time)

 

There are a ton more stats to list but cherry picking further doesn't convince anyone.  LSU had a great season that deserves serious accolades.  But they weren't on the level that 95 Nebraska was.    

   

Deep down i'm guessing that every Nebraska fan that year felt like we could beat anyone in the nation in 95.  I know for a fact LSU fans did not feel that way this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I agree with Landlord to a point but to me the only real difference is that LSU went through the playoff. 

 

Looking at teams with winning records, 2 of those for LSU this year were Utah State and Georgia Southern.  Oklahoma is not in there with a winning record for Nebraska after a 24-24 tie with top 20 ranked Texas.  We beat them 37-0.  They were not a great team that year but to me much better competition than Georgia Southern- especially once the rivalry is factored in. 

 

When you figure # of games into the equation, it looks more even.  LSU had several games scheduled against low quality opponents.  NU only had Pacific.  Add a couple patsies into the equation for NU in 95...  

  

% of LSU's games against top 10 competition = 33%

% of Nebraska's games against top 10 competition = 33% 

 

Average margin of victory;

LSU = 26.5

NU = 38

 

Closest game

LSU = 3 point victory

NU = 14 point victory (was 28-7 before meaningless touchdown in garbage time)

 

There are a ton more stats to list but cherry picking further doesn't convince anyone.  LSU had a great season that deserves serious accolades.  But they weren't on the level that 95 Nebraska was.    

   

Deep down i'm guessing that every Nebraska fan that year felt like we could beat anyone in the nation in 95.  I know for a fact LSU fans did not feel that way this year.

That and I think every year there are 2-3 teams who are a cut above everyone else. This year it was LSU, Clemson and Ohio state. Outside of playing each other no one else had a legit shot to beat them. So I don’t think it matters much if they beat 2 extra ranked teams. When there was only 2 other teams that could really beat them. It’s like in 95. They could have played all the other 9 teams in the top 10 and they would have kicked their a$$. They did not have them all on the schedule but it doesn’t matter because we all know what would have happened. Florida is the only team in the country that proved all year they deserved a shot- Nebraska proved they were the best in the country 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NUance said:

 

I think your Sarcasm-O-Meter is on the fritz.  Just sayin..  

 

:)


No, sir.
 

I was just being pedantic about his name actually being Burrow, always has been, but people continue to say Burrows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...