Why it will take at least 10 years to become relevant again

2 hours ago, Thurston from Pender said:

1. The speed lives down South. It is cold in Nebraska. Lots of players make their decision based on that. 

2. Evaluation of recruits is an inexact science. How many top recruits have bombed out in college?

3. Chemistry between the coach and the player is very subjective. 

4. Nebraska has never been relevant on the national stage in the lifetime of the recruits. It's like going to Gopher stadium and seeing all the national titles for Minnesota and the first thought is, "Minnesota was a football champion?"

5. To have a championship football team, you need at least one excellent player and about 5 really good ones. No weak sisters. And must have good special teams with a consistent kicker. 

6. Lack of a diverse female student body to date. 

7. Lincoln is, face it, boring. The only thing to do is drink and not supposed to do that until 21. Weak music scene. 

8. The competition is much stiffer than back in Dr. Tom's day. Now it is Bama, Sooners, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Oregon, Notre Dame and others trying to get back like us: Texas, Michigan, FL, FSU, Miami and others. 

9. State has only 1.8m people. Not a lot of job prospects here after graduation. 

10. Program has been cursed since Steve P.  and the fans refuse to perform the Ritual Exorcism to cleanse Husker Nation and rid it of the demons of the failed coaches of the past. 

Saying things, even if you really, really believe them, does not make them true.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Funny, no one saw Clemson becoming what they did at the start of last decade and look at them now.

There are so many variables at play to make this whole thread pointless yet here I am saying you're 100% wrong and here's a few reasons why...

Weren't we top 10 under Mike Riley in 2016 after a 7-0 start?  That, to me, is relevant.  

Didn't frost just sign one of the best classes in progrum history headlined by surprise signings from the south that are some of the fastest guys at their respective position?

Did we not get the top coaching candidate 2 offseasons ago who coveted but the likes of schools like Florida?  Say what you want about hometown ties, the fact of the matter is we got a guy who had his pick at every job that offseason

This point made me cringe of yours:

10. Program has been cursed since Steve P.  and the fans refuse to perform the Ritual Exorcism to cleanse Husker Nation and rid it of the demons of the failed coaches of the past. 

If anything, its threads like this created by fans like you which is the main reason we can't "cleanse the progrum of demons"... lol, you act like there is some greater force above this program preventing them from achieving success.  The fact of the matter is, football is an incredibly deep team game that requires the right coaches, right players, a little luck, and buy in from everyone involved in the progrum to get to the consistent top 10-15 level we want.  The fact of the matter is this equation has been out of whack since 1998.  Yet fans like you would rather do your best to tear down a good foundations that's being built simply because you are the one living in a pipe dream expecting a double digit win season after living in the gutter and then jump at the opportunity to throw out bogus excuses to make you feel better about yourself after having ridiculous expectations in the first place.

• Plus1 4

Also for what it's worth, your #9 comment also couldn't be further from the truth.  Omaha is now attracting some very big and recognizable tech companies that view Omaha as an ideal place to find quality talent and Lincoln is starting to follow.  

I assume you've never been to Tuscaloosa or Clemson or Eugene or most of the cities with 10 top progrums.... Most of them dont have an abundance  of jobs after college moreso than most cities.  Here's another newsflash for you- the players you say we can't get don't f'n care about the abundance of jobs after graduation lol.  Their dream job is making it to the NFL, not becoming a freaking accountant at a local firm post grad lol

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Also for what it's worth, your #9 comment also couldn't be further from the truth.  Omaha is now attracting some very big and recognizable tech companies that view Omaha as an ideal place to find quality talent and Lincoln is starting to follow.  

I assume you've never been to Tuscaloosa or Clemson or Eugene or most of the cities with 10 top progrums.... Most of them dont have an abundance  of jobs after college moreso than most cities.  Here's another newsflash for you- the players you say we can't get don't f'n care about the abundance of jobs after graduation lol.  Their dream job is making it to the NFL, not becoming a freaking accountant at a local firm post grad lol

I can honestly say that I have never heard or read that a recruit chose a certain football program based on the prospect of jobs in the area after he graduates.

Seems like a shot in the dark bullet point that was thrown in by someone trying to make a long list of why we are going to have problems turning the program around.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I can honestly say that I have never heard or read that a recruit chose a certain football program based on the prospect of jobs in the area after he graduates.

Seems like a shot in the dark bullet point that was thrown in by someone trying to make a long list of why we are going to have problems turning the program around.

lol seriously.  We must have missed that signing day press conference where an elite player picked up a USC hat, not because of the football team but because of his longer life passion of becoming a screen writer for a local movie production company.

• Plus1 2

Five years was my window, and I was hoping to be wrong, but it will likely take five years to develop on the LOS, both sides of the ball. We are getting ready for the third year and probably a little further along than most of us think. We had one hurt QB, a true frosh and one other solid QB, who got injured as well. Plus, our RB room was pretty empty and so was the WR room. More guys are showing up and the guys that were there are going to continue develop, both at RB and at WR. The QB deal will be better this year if 2AM can stay healthy and also since Luke will be available to use for more than four games. Vederal adds increased depth too. I think Logan will probably sit. I am hearing that he got banged up in high school quite a bit, so that makes sense to red shirt.

Relevant... what does that mean indeed? If the OP means National Title, well, that's almost impossible to put a time table on. All you have to do is run the table or have a SOS that's good enough to get the committee to overlook a loss. Then take down two VERY good teams. There are great teams that were in position for a run,, yes, I am looking at you Ohio State. One bad call, and no dice.

If the OP means conference title, then I am on that five year deal. A run at the title in the fourth year with a senior QB is very reasonable. The fifth year, provided a new QB, might make it tougher. But year six, with a returner and an even stronger program, maybe conference title and playoff spot.

14 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Five years was my window, and I was hoping to be wrong, but it will likely take five years to develop on the LOS, both sides of the ball. We are getting ready for the third year and probably a little further along than most of us think. We had one hurt QB, a true frosh and one other solid QB, who got injured as well. Plus, our RB room was pretty empty and so was the WR room. More guys are showing up and the guys that were there are going to continue develop, both at RB and at WR. The QB deal will be better this year if 2AM can stay healthy and also since Luke will be available to use for more than four games. Vederal adds increased depth too. I think Logan will probably sit. I am hearing that he got banged up in high school quite a bit, so that makes sense to red shirt.

Relevant... what does that mean indeed? If the OP means National Title, well, that's almost impossible to put a time table on. All you have to do is run the table or have a SOS that's good enough to get the committee to overlook a loss. Then take down two VERY good teams. There are great teams that were in position for a run,, yes, I am looking at you Ohio State. One bad call, and no dice.

If the OP means conference title, then I am on that five year deal. A run at the title in the fourth year with a senior QB is very reasonable. The fifth year, provided a new QB, might make it tougher. But year six, with a returner and an even stronger program, maybe conference title and playoff spot.

I feel like a conference title though gets us in the playoff unless we have 2 losses.  Biggest concern for me is O line consistency.  I have confidence the skill position players are being built up fast.  In frostys defense, he's now in a position of closing recruiting classes with guys hes been engaged with for multiple years.  Very tough to really get a feel for a player in a few months or even 1 recruiting cycle.  

Love the secondary pieces being put together, all about that O line and D line talent and depth moving forward..... A TE wouldnt hurt either but i think frosty can make up for that with a room full of dynamic RBs and 2-3 WRs that can get open consistently

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Also. for what its worth, if Frosty does get us back to top 10 and in contention we'd be media f'n darlings.  The return of a powerhouse... So many national media pundits were already writing this narrative (unjustified at the time) this past offseason.  Feel like people want to see the return of Big Red on the national level!!

Unjustified at the time?  

Love this board.  Still making wedding plans with the relationship on the rocks. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I will address the "diversity of females on campus" part...

Ummmm...let me put this in non-offensive context for our more easily offended posters...

Dudes on the team loving banging girls from the state.

I thought the girls at UNL were the squarest and the fairest. 

When did this activity start happening? This "banging."