Why it will take at least 10 years to become relevant again

I have it on good authority (the mods here) that there is absolutely no "banging" going on at UNL as I was penalized for suggesting that there was. There certainly was no banging going on when I was there. And there was absolutely no banging when Willa Cather graduated in 1894.  Willa, Louise Pound, Roscoe Pound and I used to play tennis and I always had my doubts about Willa. 

And what's up with the lawyers here? Defining "relevant" and other word games. Ha!

The Ritual Exorcism is the Categorical Imperative to restore Nebraska's relevance. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Thurston from Pender said:

I have it on good authority (the mods here) that there is absolutely no "banging" going on at UNL as I was penalized for suggesting that there was. There certainly was no banging going on when I was there. And there was absolutely no banging when Willa Cather graduated in 1894.  Willa, Louise Pound, Roscoe Pound and I used to play tennis and I always had my doubts about Willa. 

And what's up with the lawyers here? Defining "relevant" and other word games. Ha!

The Ritual Exorcism is the Categorical Imperative to restore Nebraska's relevance. 

Image result for at no point in your rambling gif

8 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Well....if Willa married Roscoe, she would be.....Willa Pound.

So.........

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Thurston from Pender said:

1. The speed lives down South. It is cold in Nebraska. Lots of players make their decision based on that. 

2. Evaluation of recruits is an inexact science. How many top recruits have bombed out in college?

3. Chemistry between the coach and the player is very subjective. 

4. Nebraska has never been relevant on the national stage in the lifetime of the recruits. It's like going to Gopher stadium and seeing all the national titles for Minnesota and the first thought is, "Minnesota was a football champion?"

5. To have a championship football team, you need at least one excellent player and about 5 really good ones. No weak sisters. And must have good special teams with a consistent kicker. 

6. Lack of a diverse female student body to date. 

7. Lincoln is, face it, boring. The only thing to do is drink and not supposed to do that until 21. Weak music scene. 

8. The competition is much stiffer than back in Dr. Tom's day. Now it is Bama, Sooners, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Oregon, Notre Dame and others trying to get back like us: Texas, Michigan, FL, FSU, Miami and others. 

9. State has only 1.8m people. Not a lot of job prospects here after graduation. 

10. Program has been cursed since Steve P.  and the fans refuse to perform the Ritual Exorcism to cleanse Husker Nation and rid it of the demons of the failed coaches of the past. 

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Thurston from Pender said:

1. The speed lives down South. It is cold in Nebraska. Lots of players make their decision based on that. 

2. Evaluation of recruits is an inexact science. How many top recruits have bombed out in college?

3. Chemistry between the coach and the player is very subjective. 

4. Nebraska has never been relevant on the national stage in the lifetime of the recruits. It's like going to Gopher stadium and seeing all the national titles for Minnesota and the first thought is, "Minnesota was a football champion?"

5. To have a championship football team, you need at least one excellent player and about 5 really good ones. No weak sisters. And must have good special teams with a consistent kicker. 

6. Lack of a diverse female student body to date. 

7. Lincoln is, face it, boring. The only thing to do is drink and not supposed to do that until 21. Weak music scene. 

8. The competition is much stiffer than back in Dr. Tom's day. Now it is Bama, Sooners, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Oregon, Notre Dame and others trying to get back like us: Texas, Michigan, FL, FSU, Miami and others. 

9. State has only 1.8m people. Not a lot of job prospects here after graduation. 

10. Program has been cursed since Steve P.  and the fans refuse to perform the Ritual Exorcism to cleanse Husker Nation and rid it of the demons of the failed coaches of the past. 

Except for #10 ( which is facetious), I can't argue with any of this. There's a new concentration of top programs, and it's clearly in the Southeast (plus Ohio State). And I don't see that changing. I'm afraid NU is now too far from where kids want to be. Never a power in their lifetimes. And certainly forgotten on the national stage. "Weren't they that team in the Midwest that was really good... a long time ago?" Yes, two decades ago. Even within the B1G, NU is still that new member in the far, far western hinterlands – a 2nd- or 3rd-tier program in the eyes of the big dogs, like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc. The 80's & 90's were great, but I just don't see much chance for sustained success in this new era of college football. Too many disadvantages, mostly because of location.

• Thanks 1

Winning cures all.  I have seen the location excuse too long.  Look at teams like Oklahoma, Alabama, Clemson, and LSU...these aren't exactly beach town locations or high paying locations post college.  A team like Ped State...they should have gotten the death penalty but they are literally back from the dead.  If you win games you will be relevant.  

6 hours ago, ReddyRed said:

Except for #10 ( which is facetious), I can't argue with any of this. There's a new concentration of top programs, and it's clearly in the Southeast (plus Ohio State). And I don't see that changing. I'm afraid NU is now too far from where kids want to be. Never a power in their lifetimes. And certainly forgotten on the national stage. "Weren't they that team in the Midwest that was really good... a long time ago?" Yes, two decades ago. Even within the B1G, NU is still that new member in the far, far western hinterlands – a 2nd- or 3rd-tier program in the eyes of the big dogs, like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc. The 80's & 90's were great, but I just don't see much chance for sustained success in this new era of college football. Too many disadvantages, mostly because of location.

So explain Frost's recruiting classes.  It all boils down to coaching despite your quitters mentality.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1