Why it will take at least 10 years to become relevant again

On 1/14/2020 at 9:32 AM, Thurston from Pender said:

1. The speed lives down South. It is cold in Nebraska. Lots of players make their decision based on that. 

2. Evaluation of recruits is an inexact science. How many top recruits have bombed out in college?

3. Chemistry between the coach and the player is very subjective. 

4. Nebraska has never been relevant on the national stage in the lifetime of the recruits. It's like going to Gopher stadium and seeing all the national titles for Minnesota and the first thought is, "Minnesota was a football champion?"

5. To have a championship football team, you need at least one excellent player and about 5 really good ones. No weak sisters. And must have good special teams with a consistent kicker. 

6. Lack of a diverse female student body to date. 

7. Lincoln is, face it, boring. The only thing to do is drink and not supposed to do that until 21. Weak music scene. 

8. The competition is much stiffer than back in Dr. Tom's day. Now it is Bama, Sooners, LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Oregon, Notre Dame and others trying to get back like us: Texas, Michigan, FL, FSU, Miami and others. 

9. State has only 1.8m people. Not a lot of job prospects here after graduation. 

10. Program has been cursed since Steve P.  and the fans refuse to perform the Ritual Exorcism to cleanse Husker Nation and rid it of the demons of the failed coaches of the past. 

L.M.A.O. at number 6. 

Number 4 is right on.

So is 7.

Number 10 says part of it, should have mentioned 10-3 Solich's last season, though. 

All that, and I still come away not seeing much in the way of national relevance, and of course Big Ten relevance, for a sustained time at all.  We'll have a few good years here and there, but no more long term 9+ wins per seasons, for those numbered reasons and several more, not the least of which is times have changed.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

L.M.A.O. at number 6. 

Number 4 is right on.

So is 7.

Number 10 says part of it, should have mentioned 10-3 Solich's last season, though. 

All that, and I still come away not seeing much in the way of national relevance, and of course Big Ten relevance, for a sustained time at all.  We'll have a few good years here and there, but no more long term 9+ wins per seasons, for those numbered reasons and several more, not the least of which is times have changed.

Curious, why are you so adamant 9 win seasons aren’t sustainable? While a few blips, there’s a school a couple 100 miles to the east in Iowa that manages this with less talent, ditto for Wisconsin.

only difference they have is a great coach who has a system in place and fosters continuity. Why is it doable at those schools but not here when most would agree we’ve got advantages over both of these schools to succeed?

• Fire 1
17 hours ago, skersfan said:

But watching pro football just disgusts me.  The Green Bay QB fumbles the ball and can not get away from it fast enough.  Mahomes is cheered for his runs out of bounds and slapped on the butt for his slides.   That is what football has turned into.

None of the pro side is to my liking and I see college ball following right along.

I admit I don't pay as much attention to any of it as I used to.  

Yeah. You're just not paying attention. The NFL is football played at the highest level by the best guys from college. You are honestly the first person I've ever seen question the competitive instincts of Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. If you watched either Conference Championship, you saw seasoned players celebrating like kids. Creative offenses, huge hits, and games still won in the trenches. 

Not sure what kind of football you'd like to get back to. I think I could do without the frequent and looooong video reviews by the refs, but I'm not sure I'd trade it for blown calls that could change the game. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Curious, why are you so adamant 9 win seasons aren’t sustainable? While a few blips, there’s a school a couple 100 miles to the east in Iowa that manages this with less talent, ditto for Wisconsin.

only difference they have is a great coach who has a system in place and fosters continuity. Why is it doable at those schools but not here when most would agree we’ve got advantages over both of these schools to succeed?

Ain't gonna happen.  Those years it was happening were different times, not just in football, but in what could be called something like, "Nebraska special uniqueness," for want of a better phrase.  That's watered down now to the point of Scott Frost basically representing a reminder of the football portion of it, but that's all.  He wants so badly to resurrect it, we can see that.  My heart goes out to him.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Ain't gonna happen.  Those years it was happening were different times, not just in football, but in what could be called something like, "Nebraska special uniqueness," for want of a better phrase.  That's watered down now to the point of Scott Frost basically representing a reminder of the football portion of it, but that's all.  He wants so badly to resurrect it, we can see that.  My heart goes out to him.

You didn’t really answer my question.

if the times are so different, why is Iowa able to do this with less advantageous resources? Same for Wisconsin?

you make it sound like we’re in some perpetual vortex preventing any possibility of consistent success yet this barrier doesn’t exist for other schools without explanation 

• Fire 1
40 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

You didn’t really answer my question.

if the times are so different, why is Iowa able to do this with less advantageous resources? Same for Wisconsin?

you make it sound like we’re in some perpetual vortex preventing any possibility of consistent success yet this barrier doesn’t exist for other schools without explanation 

You're answering your own question if you fancy Iowa and Wisconsin as formidable as Nebraska was during the Mr. D and Dr. O days (and for that length of time).

Well Frost tends to only increase very slightly in win total by 1 damn win a year. So by that estimate let's see:

First year: 4 wins 

Second year: 5 wins

third year: (should be) 6 wins

Fourth year: (should be) 7 wins

fifth year: (should be) 8 wins

sixth year: (should be) 9 wins

seventh year: (should be) 10 wins

eighth year: (should be) 11 wins

ninth year: (should be) 12 wins or UNDEFEATED

So actually judging by this system it should only take NINE YEARS for us to become relevant again. You're a year off. So strap in boys it's going to be a loooong bus ride to the top. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dubsker said:

Number 6 is such an incorrect assumption on different levels that I'm not touching it with a 200 foot pole.  I don't think I'm alone.

In real people terms what he meant by "lack of a diverse female student body" , was basically a vast majority of white females.  

While this is true to some degree.  Some guys happen to love white females.  And if not, their are enough black ladies, and asian ladies to go around on campus.  If they are into hispanic women, their are also enough, and if not on campus certainly in town or in Omaha.  What it boils down to is the "lack of a diverse female student body" is a non issue.  Unless they are a Wilt Chamberlain type who requires 100 or so women from each ethnicity. In that case the west coast or Florida is really their only options.

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

In real people terms what he meant by "lack of a diverse female student body" , was basically a vast majority of white females.  

While this is true to some degree.  Some guys happen to love white females.  And if not, their are enough black ladies, and asian ladies to go around on campus.  If they are into hispanic women, their are also enough, and if not on campus certainly in town or in Omaha.  What it boils down to is the "lack of a diverse female student body" is a non issue.  Unless they are a Wilt Chamberlain type who requires 100 or so women from each ethnicity. In that case the west coast or Florida is really their only options.

I know what he meant.   What I’m not going to get into is why having white women for days isn’t a problem.

going to take 9 years for us to become relevant again people. I did the math and you're welcome. 

On 1/21/2020 at 5:04 AM, .1. said:

Well Frost tends to only increase very slightly in win total by 1 damn win a year. So by that estimate let's see:

First year: 4 wins 

Second year: 5 wins

third year: (should be) 6 wins

Fourth year: (should be) 7 wins

fifth year: (should be) 8 wins

sixth year: (should be) 9 wins

seventh year: (should be) 10 wins

eighth year: (should be) 11 wins

ninth year: (should be) 12 wins or UNDEFEATED

So actually judging by this system it should only take NINE YEARS for us to become relevant again. You're a year off. So strap in boys it's going to be a loooong bus ride to the top.