Jump to content
Thurston from Pender

Why it will take at least 10 years to become relevant again

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Thurston from Pender said:

I thought the girls at UNL were the squarest and the fairest. 

 

When did this activity start happening? This "banging." 

hahahahaha epic. I can confirm in 1985 it was on. 

 

anyway, I was at the Gator Bowl when Nebraska made a huge comeback on Clemson and won.. W were down 21-10 in 3rd and ended up winning 26-21  Lotta things change. Dabo had just taken over from asst. to head coach a few weeks earlier if I remember correctly.  If recruiting continues to go well, it will be good in a few years. Relevant? Id be very happy with 100 weeks in the top 20....and winning what we should and  getting an upset every now and then...just some kind of consistent, quality performance...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest mistake was detroying Nebraska's identity and basically starting from scratch.   

 

I think Bo was close but he couldn't get over the hump and was embarrased by Wisconsin in the B1G title game.   That was a major hit.   Then the apparent rift between he and the AD made it look like he was a walking dead man as a coach.  That hurt recruiting.   Bo was volatile and the program reflected it. 

 

The Riley stint was short but it was a 3-year throwaway as they started over again.   (This time I think that was a good decision)

 

I think Frost will get there.  Just have to give it time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

I think the biggest mistake was detroying Nebraska's identity and basically starting from scratch.   

 

I think Bo was close but he couldn't get over the hump and was embarrased by Wisconsin in the B1G title game.   That was a major hit.   Then the apparent rift between he and the AD made it look like he was a walking dead man as a coach.  That hurt recruiting.   Bo was volatile and the program reflected it. 

 

The Riley stint was short but it was a 3-year throwaway as they started over again.   (This time I think that was a good decision)

 

I think Frost will get there.  Just have to give it time.  

 

Agreed.  But it started out before Pelini.  I lay the blame squarely on the king of ego, Steve Pederson.   Pederson promised not to let Nebraska gravitate towards mediocrity.  But he stepped on the gas instead of the brakes.  Bill Callahan wasn't the answer Pederson thought he'd be.  Callahan came in and tore everything down in an attempt to start from scratch.  But he never got it going.  Instead of making Solich the scapegoat and s#!tcanning everything, Pederson should have helped Solich tweak the program to get back to where we were.  /jmho

 

 

 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody told Solich what to do - he did what he wanted.  He simply wasn’t recruiting well and took the most talent laden program to the point of mediocrity in just 4 seasons.   He was given a chance to “fix” things so what he did was fire the best of Osborne’s legacy staff to “scapegoat” them.  Then he hired Barney Cotton as his new offensive coordinator in response to loud complaints of his unimaginative / bland play calling etc.  lol.  I asked a close friend of Barney who sat next to me at the games during Solich’s last season as the plays and play calling seemed no different than it’d been for several years (QB runs  etc) and his response was as follows:

”Yes, Barney calls they plays - Frank just tells him what to call!”

 

If Osborne had not approved of Frank’s termination, he could have said something.   Instead he flew to New Zealand fishing for a couple weeks and was unavailable to be reached for comment while the “sheet hit the fan”.  
 

This topic is ancient and has been so debated to death it’s silly.  Mistake was not hiring a HC who would have reinstalled the systems Osborne had built/ran.  There was still plenty of goodwill and brand recognition and program stature to repair.  Instead Callahan dumped it.  It didn’t work.  
 

16 years later Frost is trying to build the “new and improved” Husker brand with his spread version of the “fun n gun” instead of the power schemes I liked to call “tons of fun”.  
 

Frost - I believe - wants to put a red clad version of the offense LSU ran Monday night out there.  The biggest problem is that it’s too similar to what most teams are already doing.  That forces us to recruit head to head with the elites all over for many of the same kids. 
if we ran the 90s style schemes, few teams would want some guys that would be good fits.  Recruiting might be less competitive although many four stars guys would not be available.  
 

f

Frost has great ideas and knows football.   He is trying to climb Everest and it’s a long treacherous trek.  Let’s give him a chance and not fret over the past.  As Frazier said “it’s not where I’ve been, it’s where I’m going that matters.”

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Scarlet said:

So explain Frost's recruiting classes.  It all boils down to coaching despite your quitters mentality.

Top of Form

Hmmm, that would seem to be a good point, except that the rankings of Frost's two recruiting classes at, respectively, #18 and #20 by 247 Sports, aren't much different than those of several recent years: 2013 (22nd), 2017 (23rd), 2018 (23rd). And both of Frost's classes were ranked lower than the 2011 class (16th). The current class, ranked 20th, is right up there with the likes of South Carolina (18th), North Carolina (19th) and Kentucky (23rd), which serves my point: This is NU's present-day neighborhood, and I see no reason why it will necessarily change.

Now, maybe Frost will show himself to be a great developer of talent (he hasn't yet). If that's the case, then perhaps NU can replicate the K-State model, and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing at all. KSU is perennially ranked 40-ish in recruiting rankings, but the kids are coached up, and the team usually gets to bowl games and even spends some time in the rankings. They beat OU this year, and even dominated for most of the game. Except for the size of the school (and having another D-1 school in the same state), KSU and NU share the same trait of being a Midwestern, relatively isolated, football-loving school that has few local recruits. There's nothing wrong with adapting to the new landscape of college football. NU has been late in doing so.

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ReddyRed said:

Top of Form

 

 

 

 

What is happening here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NUance said:

 

Agreed.  But it started out before Pelini.  I lay the blame squarely on the king of ego, Steve Pederson.   Pederson promised not to let Nebraska gravitate towards mediocrity.  But he stepped on the gas instead of the brakes.  Bill Callahan wasn't the answer Pederson thought he'd be.  Callahan came in and tore everything down in an attempt to start from scratch.  But he never got it going.  Instead of making Solich the scapegoat and s#!tcanning everything, Pederson should have helped Solich tweak the program to get back to where we were.  /jmho

 

 

 

He kept his promise, we sailed right past mediocrity.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ReddyRed said:

Top of Form

Hmmm, that would seem to be a good point, except that the rankings of Frost's two recruiting classes at, respectively, #18 and #20 by 247 Sports, aren't much different than those of several recent years: 2013 (22nd), 2017 (23rd), 2018 (23rd). And both of Frost's classes were ranked lower than the 2011 class (16th). The current class, ranked 20th, is right up there with the likes of South Carolina (18th), North Carolina (19th) and Kentucky (23rd), which serves my point: This is NU's present-day neighborhood, and I see no reason why it will necessarily change.

Now, maybe Frost will show himself to be a great developer of talent (he hasn't yet). If that's the case, then perhaps NU can replicate the K-State model, and that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing at all. KSU is perennially ranked 40-ish in recruiting rankings, but the kids are coached up, and the team usually gets to bowl games and even spends some time in the rankings. They beat OU this year, and even dominated for most of the game. Except for the size of the school (and having another D-1 school in the same state), KSU and NU share the same trait of being a Midwestern, relatively isolated, football-loving school that has few local recruits. There's nothing wrong with adapting to the new landscape of college football. NU has been late in doing so.

 

 

 

So you're quitting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Husker66 said:

He kept his promise, we sailed right past mediocrity.

 

That's like, hilarious, man.  I got a good two minute laugh out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dubsker said:

 

That's like, hilarious, man.  I got a good two minute laugh out of it.

Definitely the best post if the night!!

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 7:53 AM, NUance said:

 

Agreed.  But it started out before Pelini.  I lay the blame squarely on the king of ego, Steve Pederson.   Pederson promised not to let Nebraska gravitate towards mediocrity.  But he stepped on the gas instead of the brakes.  Bill Callahan wasn't the answer Pederson thought he'd be.  Callahan came in and tore everything down in an attempt to start from scratch.  But he never got it going.  Instead of making Solich the scapegoat and s#!tcanning everything, Pederson should have helped Solich tweak the program to get back to where we were.  /jmho

 

 

 

I am in total agreement.  It started with Pederson.   Solich tried to improve recruiting by making staff changes but the new staff never got a chance to proove themselves.   Playcalling didn't change too much because it takes a couple of recruiting cycles to tweak your roster.   It wasn't so bad either.  They won 10 games!

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

I am in total agreement.  It started with Pederson.   Solich tried to improve recruiting by making staff changes but the new staff never got a chance to proove themselves.   Playcalling didn't change too much because it takes a couple of recruiting cycles to tweak your roster.   It wasn't so bad either.  They won 10 games!

Need to remember the expectations withing the fan base at the time for Nebraska.  Anything short of playing for the championship was considered a failure.  We were spoiled.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...