Who do you think will do Special teams coordination?

I’m still kinda confused on how this will work. Is the analyst going to have to coach a full time assistant on how to coach special teams? Or is he able to do some type of instruction with the athletes? 

I think if it’s the first one, that seems borderline inefficient and possibly could cause a lot of miscommunication and problems come  saturdays in the fall

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lo country said:

I know he is an analyst, but what actual coach will he be working with?

4 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Most likely he will coordinate through grad assistants having the direct communication with players.

Still feels like ST isn't a priority, but maybe another FT assistant will be assigned? None have a ST label at the moment,  Dawson being the one with experience.  Yet we have dedicated QB, TE, OLB and ILB coaches.

I know you said we'll be fine before @BigRedBuster

What do you feel now? This dude has 2 years asst ST experience and was a Grad Asst since 2011 before that it appears.

I'm full of koolaid still but if that is the only plan for ST I'll drop my win expectation by one,  maybe 2. It's that important, and it's more than just kicker injuries.  The kick returns given up against Iowa and Wisconsin last year were huge.  Field position and momentum matter in this conference when the margin is small.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The kick returns given up against Iowa and Wisconsin last year were huge.  Field position and momentum matter in this conference when the margin is small.

Those have way more to go with the kicker than you want yo admit. The one against Wisconsin was a direct result of not kicking it in the end zone. And, if you don’t do that, get enough hang time for coverage to get down field. I don’t remember the one against Iowa specifically.  But, I’m going to guess it’s the same. 

I have no clue how good this guy is with special teams. But, I’m pretty sure they will be better next year than last season. 

• Plus1 1

Here is a good article.  At first glance of Auburn's ST last year opponents KO and PR returns were rough.  2018 was better, but this article speaks to some issues that we have/had....Here is an excerpt showing some "adjustments and analysis".  One thing I thought Frost had said at the start was "if you don't want to play on ST's, you won't start"...Alluding to the best athletes would play AND be on ST.  Didn't/hasn't appeared to be the case.  I am ASSuming being 1 deep in every spot sure hasn't helped....

Like I've said before, surely we can't be worse.

Something was clearly off with Auburn’s punt coverage unit, and the team addressed that after the Tulane game. Siposs wasn’t matching the height of his punts with the distance, slightly affecting the hangtime of his punts, while the coverage unit missed some key tackles as well. Siposs has since adjusted, and the coverage group also benefited from the return of speedster Anthony Schwartz, who is used as a gunner on punt coverage and has the ability to close out on punts to help prevent returns.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/10/assessing-auburns-special-teams-at-midseason.html

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

I’m still kinda confused on how this will work. Is the analyst going to have to coach a full time assistant on how to coach special teams? Or is he able to do some type of instruction with the athletes? 

I think if it’s the first one, that seems borderline inefficient and possibly could cause a lot of miscommunication and problems come  saturdays in the fall

The ncaa limits us to nine assistant coaches.  Using a Special Teams Analyst instead of devoting an assistant coaching slot to ST is a way of making the nine assistant coaches we have more efficient.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
31 minutes ago, NUance said:

The ncaa limits us to nine assistant coaches.  Using a Special Teams Analyst instead of devoting an assistant coaching slot to ST is a way of making the nine assistant coaches we have more efficient.  

The message being sent by not even having a Special teams coach is very troubling to say the least.  

In my opinion not having atleast mediocre (“average”) special teams is the most disappointing part of Frost’s first two years.  I blame him primarily and it is borderline inexcusable frankly.  

Kickers got hurt and we dont know how exactly how but hip flexor or such if that was involved is often caused by overuse (kicking too much in practice or perhaps improper weight lifting? ).

I dont feel talent is an excuse for

coverage team play - our roster of 150 plus has enough decent athletes to block and tackle etc at an average level)

not enough attention paid in practice etc  - now it seems its only important enough to hire an “”analyst” ?   

They need a coach with experience in kicking to start with and if need be divide up the other areas punt returns coverages etc between other staff.  Punt returns / kickoffs are defensive plays / teams/ players and punts/placekicks are offense plays  / teams / players.  

Frankly I dont know who coaxhes the scout teams but we need improvement there as well.  too often the defense struggles to stop opponents in plays / formations unlike those run by our

own offense.  thats the job of fourth and fifth stringers to give good practice reps of opponents.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Special teams should have been improved last yesr.  The kicking itself was poor to fair but the returns and coverage team play was even poorer imo.  How can we not have a good punter?   There ought to be two or three within 300 miles of Lincoln every year.  Punting is not rocket science and doesnt require an Olympian to do.  I played 8 man ball at a very small school and was a very average QB / kicker and averaged 38 yards per kick for three years.  There had to be 50 more Neb kids better than I was in each year.  Place kicking is harder but still I was just a regular typical high school athlete at best. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Special teams should have been improved last yesr.  The kicking itself was poor to fair but the returns and coverage team play was even poorer imo.  How can we not have a good punter?   There ought to be two or three within 300 miles of Lincoln every year.  Punting is not rocket science and doesnt require an Olympian to do.  I played 8 man ball at a very small school and was a very average QB / kicker and averaged 38 yards per kick for three years.  There had to be 50 more Neb kids better than I was in each year.  Place kicking is harder but still I was just a regular typical high school athlete at best. 

Do you have any eligibility left?

• Haha 5
On 2/15/2020 at 2:55 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Special teams

There are 50 teams in FBS who had kickers who knocked it to the end zone for touchbacks at least 50 percent of the time. Nebraska had a touchback percentage of just 21.21 percent, which ranked 111th in the country. Yes, you need to cover kicks better. Nebraska was one of just six teams to give up multiple kick returns for touchdowns. And both those returns – one from Wisconsin, another from Iowa – were leading causes why those games slipped away from the Huskers.

While Nebraska averaged a modest 40.86 yards a punt, the Huskers only allowed 25 punt return yards total for an average of 2.2 per return, which ranks seventh in the country. That punt coverage unit did their jobs. Nebraska had 128 punt return yards total, an average of 8.0 per opportunity, with 76 coming on the one big Spielman return in September. I will add that punt return yards don't come in the abundance some people think they do for most programs. (DeMornay Pierson-El impacted this thinking from his 2014 season). Only 16 programs had 250 punt return yards or more in the FBS in 2019.

• Plus1 2

I knew our returns were not too

special but if we only managed to

even field and try to return a total if 16 for the year thats not good.  we surely forced around 50 or 60 punts so we only managed about 30% rate there.  How many were not fielded at all and allowed to

roll.   Field position is critical to winning especially acute when

team talent is fairly equal.   I will say the return yards allowed is good but I wonder if some of

that is due to the poor punts going

out of bounds or in the end zone 

Kick offs thru the end zone are conceding 25 yard returns.  ideally you kick the ball to about the goal line and make them catch and return it to inside the 20.