Who do you think will do Special teams coordination?

11 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I knew our returns were not too

special but if we only managed to

even field and try to return a total if 16 for the year thats not good.  we surely forced around 50 or 60 punts so we only managed about 30% rate there.  How many were not fielded at all and allowed to

roll.   Field position is critical to winning especially acute when

team talent is fairly equal.   I will say the return yards allowed is good but I wonder if some of

that is due to the poor punts going

out of bounds or in the end zone 

Kick offs thru the end zone are conceding 25 yard returns.  ideally you kick the ball to about the goal line and make them catch and return it to inside the 20.  

You do know that there is now a rule where you can fair catch the kick and take it at the 25 - don't you?

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

You do know that there is now a rule where you can fair catch the kick and take it at the 25 - don't you?

This was probably the most maddening aspect of ST's all year.  Get the free yards.....That was straight up sh!!!y coaching.  Same with the kick off for the return TD's by Wisky and Iowa.........IIRC Frost even mentioned something to that effect.  It might have been that "he'd have to look into that".  Regardless, I still feel ST play can't be worse.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

You still want them to handle the ball and run them out.  Turnovers and field position.  imo.  

Most teams time each kickers hang time and time it takes to get the first two players down to the 25 - if the numbers dont make sense the returner has already been told that it is a no go.

18 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I knew our returns were not too

special but if we only managed to

even field and try to return a total if 16 for the year thats not good.  we surely forced around 50 or 60 punts so we only managed about 30% rate there.  How many were not fielded at all and allowed to

roll.   Field position is critical to winning especially acute when

team talent is fairly equal.   I will say the return yards allowed is good but I wonder if some of

that is due to the poor punts going

out of bounds or in the end zone 

Kick offs thru the end zone are conceding 25 yard returns.  ideally you kick the ball to about the goal line and make them catch and return it to inside the 20.  

I think they changed the rule last season..

The NCAA rule change allows a returner to signal for a fair catch (preventing the defenders from tackling him), field the kickoff anywhere short of his 25-yard line and have his team's offense start at the 25. The rule is simple; deciding how it applies to both the returners and coverage teams is complex.Aug 11, 2018

Sorry this analyst & coach thing is confusing for me. From what I read..

"The difference between an Analyst and a Coach is that the Analyst cannot actually be coaching on the field or during competition but can watch workouts. They cannot go out and recruit either."

Does this mean someone on the staff will still need to take the lead and be the ST "coach" still? 

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, lowkeyhusker said:

Sorry this analyst & coach thing is confusing for me. From what I read..

"The difference between an Analyst and a Coach is that the Analyst cannot actually be coaching on the field or during competition but can watch workouts. They cannot go out and recruit either."

Does this mean someone on the staff will still need to take the lead and be the ST "coach" still? 

If you haven't already, read the article linked in post #15.  Which on my computer is the last post on page #1.

As I see it,  yes, one of the nine assistants or one of the grad assistants or even the head coach will have to do the on the field special teams work.

• Plus1 2

Huskers hire special teams analyst with SEC background

When it comes to Rutledge, he is an Ole Miss graduate who has worked his way to this spot after beginning as a football manager for the Rebels. He was a graduate assistant for special teams and receivers at North Carolina in 2014 and 2015, before his stops at Missouri and Auburn.

Auburn did get some things done in the return game while he helped in coaching those units, with Larry Porter holding the title of Auburn's special teams coordinator the past two years.

Christian Tutt averaged 13.6 yards on his 23 punt returns, ranking seventh in the country in punt return average and second among all players with at least 20 returns last season. It's also noted in his bio that Noah Igbinoghene averaged 35.2 yards per kickoff return. Igbinoghene fell just short of the required minimum to be included in the NCAA statistical rankings, but the 2019 national leader averaged 33.2 yards per return, two fewer than Igbinoghene.

Auburn had a good punter last year in Arryn Sipooss, (43.5 yards per punt) who entered the NFL Draft early after the 2019 season, though the Tigers did have some troubles covering punts, ranking last statistically in the FBS, giving up 17.3 yards per average punt return by the foe. 

During Rutledge's first year at Auburn, the Tigers proved a menace to opposition at blocking kicks – with seven of them, including four on punts. Auburn also also ranked fifth in net punting that year after being 115th the year before. The Tigers were particularly good at covering punts.