Emmanuel Acho: Texas players got money for INTs in 2010 BCS game

knapplc

Former Texas Longhorn and current ESPN analyst apparently thinks giving players cash is so normal that he has no problem with Odell Beckham Jr. handing out wads of cash to LSU players on the field immediately following the national championship game.

Why? Because that happened at Texas - just not as openly.

Emmanuel Acho: Texas players got money for INTs in 2010 BCS game

Emmanuel Acho, an ESPN college football analyst who played linebacker at Texas from 2008-12, said on Thursday's edition of Get Up that the Longhorns were paid $1,000 for every interception they could come up with 10 years ago in their BCS National Championship against Alabama.

"We went to the national championship game in 2009 and ... it was public to the team, for every interception the defensive back got, they were going to get $1,000," Acho said of Texas' 37-21 loss to the Crimson Tide on Jan. 7, 2010. "For every pick y'all got against Alabama in the national championship game, you're going to get $1,000. Now, the difference is we just didn't do it publicly on the field.

"What my problem is, though, everybody masquerades Odell Beckham as a guy who thinks, 'Oh, I plotted this out. I'm going to go out, hand this money and they're going to talk about me on Get Up. That's not what he's thinking. That's not what he's thinking."

"I don't have a problem with it, for two reasons — the first layer is, 'Odell's seeking attention, he's seeking attention,'" Acho said. "Odell Beckham, just by existing, by breathing out oxygen, he will get attention. That's who he is. That has nothing to do with him. The second thing I have a problem with, as far as the perception that's been painted, is the NCAA — they only care because they can't control the narrative.

"Remember, four days prior, Odell Beckham gifts the entire team Beats headphones. Y'all do the math. That's over $45,000, if you count the players and the coaches. But that's fine. Hey, NCAA, guess what? The players are probably taking those headphones and selling them because they need the bread. So that's my biggest issues. Those are my primary takeaways."

Acho is so used to college football players being paid that he has no problem with it - and instead complains that the NCAA should have had an issue with the headphones gift the players received.

It'll be interesting to see how any of this plays out. But they need to keep putting a mic in front of Acho. The guy is gold!

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I have no problem with it, I don't think anyone actually has a problem with.  Just like I would not have a problem with some scientist giving students that ace their Chem final cash.  

People need to remember that these are not laws, these are dumb rules written by a lame a$$ organization.  

Sorry Teach, but I have a problem with it.  Because it's not fair to the teams who do follow those dumb a$$ rules.  I have no idea whether UNL follows the rules or pays cash.  (If we did pay cash, we sure didn't get our money's worth the past couple of years.)    

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, NUance said:

Sorry Teach, but I have a problem with it.  Because it's not fair to the teams who do follow those dumb a$$ rules.  I have no idea whether UNL follows the rules or pays cash.  (If we did pay cash, we sure didn't get our money's worth the past couple of years.)    

NU should ask for a refund.

• Plus1 1

I also have a problem with it. Sure I think the NCAA is a joke and their enforcement even more so. But that doesn’t mean I disagree with some of their rules. There is a very noble purpose for trying to keep an even playing field between the haves and have nots. And I’ve said it before but I’d prefer to keep college ball amateur and markedly different than pro ball. Because the day it’s basically the same is the day I’ll care about it as much as I do the NFL, and that isn’t very much caring.

• 2 weeks later...

I very vaguely remember back in the '80s, when I had a cousin and some friends scoring TDs for us talking about something similar..Getting envelopes with cash at parties thrown by boosters...

And the reports that Johnny Rodgers was considering having his son Terry (Who we offered instead of Barry Sanders?) give back his scholarship, so he could legally pursue a part time job (from JR iirc) so he could afford to take a girl on a date...er something...

The NCAA and most schools make so much money off these guys...And if you believe some of these ''COLLEGE FOOTBALL 150'' episodes, They used to think paying coaches or offering scholarships should wipe out their amature status....We've come a long ways since then, but we've also fallen behind in trying to satisfy our collective entertainment itch.

Average careers (if any) are usually so short...I do secretly wish there was more done for these players.