Mickey Jospeh Formally Turns Down Nebraska

The one aspect that really made me not believe it was the AHC title. That's a title a HC gives his right hand man. Or someone who has busted his a$$ for the program. Held would be the kind of guy to receive that title. You don't just give that to an outsider. If the report would have said WR coach and Passing Game Coordinator then I wouldn't be so abrasive, but something seemed off. 

• Plus1 6

52 minutes ago, GSG said:

:dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno :dunno 

As others have said. The job probably was not "officially" offered. So we could say "no we did not offer him the job". But I am sure it was insinuated. 

Also Sipple may be telling the truth that a source told him "earlier this week" that the parties have had no contact. Its friday now, who cares what someone said at the start of the week. I would like to see sipple go on record that all 4 of his sources confirm there has been no contact as of noon today and they did not talk about a potential job opening. I am sure it was not officially offered but was it discussed?  I think that was an intentional wording to give information from earlier this week.

Let's use some critical thinking to try and help figure out where this news is coming from and who this news benefits.

There's no benefit to Nebraska to announce that we whiffed on a coaching hire, so Peterson's source is unlikely to be from Nebraska. Sipple's are almost all likely to be from Nebraska.

There's no benefit to LSU to publicly out Nebraska (in keeping with what @BigWillie said) in retaining Joseph. There's no bad blood between the schools, and they're still riding the high of winning the championship. Even as an SEC/Big Ten rivalry thing, why would the top team in the country's top conference pick on Nebraska, who hasn't made a bowl game in three years? LSU as a source seems the most far-fetched of likelihoods.

Joseph himself may benefit if this news gets out as part of a negotiating tactic to get a better deal, and we've seen enough negotiation via headline to know this stuff happens.

The source would have to get the attention of not one, but two different Husker-covering journalists.

Help me out here. What am I missing?

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

zn0gfl0f2gxa3ujhkken.png

Also kinda beside the point now but I loved watching Mickey when he was our starter.

Ha, I don't know how old you are..  There are a lot of millennials on here who didn't start following the Huskers until Bill Callahan was coaching the team.  You must be a boomer like I am.

I thought Joseph was an exciting QB.  He couldn't throw worth a darn, but also wasn't asked to throw much (except throwing it up to Johnny Mitchell).  I know Keithan McCant was a great QB for NU in 1991, but I wonder if Joseph could have won the QB1 job if Joseph hadn't broken his leg against Oklahoma in 1990.

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ha, I don't know how old you are..  There are a lot of millennials on here who didn't start following the Huskers until Bill Callahan was coaching the team.  You must be a boomer like I am.

I thought Joseph was an exciting QB.  He couldn't throw worth a darn, but also wasn't asked to throw much (except throwing it up to Johnny Mitchell).  I know Keithan McCant was a great QB for NU in 1991, but I wonder if Joseph could have won the QB1 job if Joseph hadn't broken his leg against Oklahoma in 1990.

Yeah he wasn't the greatest passer that's for sure but yeah I thought he was exciting to watch as well and yep I'm a boomer  also lol.

I also remember meeting Johnny Mitchell while I went to school there in the old rec center.  Some friends and I were throwing the ball around so he just kinda looked at me and put up his hands.  I remember at the time I was nervous so I basically overthrew him about 3 times and then I actually gave the ball to one of my buddies lol.  He laughed and was super nice.  I'll never forget how much of a physical speciman the guy was though.  I met him one other time.  Super cool guy so I always rooted for him.

• Plus1 1

I am speculating that someone working on behalf of the University probably mentioned the possibility of the position to Joseph's agent or close to him in hypothetical scenarios just to gauge interest.  After the movement of LSU staff  and winning NC, Joseph decides to stay put and says no to hypothetical scenario.  He sees opportunity to use this as bargaining chip for raise/or promotion.  Nebraska says they did NOT officially offer. Both sides are probably telling close to truth, but leaving out just enough small details to benefit them.