Hubbell Cookbook & Memories

Roxy15

A I won’t be able to get all the recipes posted today.  I will just do a little at a time so check back, if you want.  

Memories will be first and recipes will follow when I can get to it.  I am real busy today, but, I will try and get some of the recipes posted.  If you don’t care to read any of it, pass on bye.  I have many friends from back home on Facebook and I wanted to share.  We were all family in Hubbell and Chester.  I thought maybe it would make some of you smile too and enjoy it all!

Well my idea of putting the recipes all in an album and transferring it here won’t work, you will be seeing it the same way. To read the recipes in bold, copy and paste the recipe in notes on your phone; press down on the recipe; press select all; press B/U on the far right and then click bold and you will be able to read the recipes better, if you need to!

I don’t want this to be all about recipes.  I also wanted to share a few things of my memories growing up in Hubbell.  If you don’t care to read them, pass on by and go straight to the recipes! 

My dad’s name was Walter, but, a lot of people called him Doc or W.O.  He always said he graduated from hard knock college.  

My friends from back home knew my dad very well and I am sure each of my friends could tell a great story about my dad and my mom.  Some stories may get banned on Facebook though smiles.  If I could do my life over, I would of wrote down or recorded all the stories that my dad told and made them into a book, it would of been a best seller!

My dad owned a lumberyard in Hubbell Nebraska and he knew everyone and everyone knew him!  I used to follow him all around and talk and ask questions until he would get tired of me not letting him get some work done and he would say in a nice way and with a smile...”Roxy, why don’t you saddle up your horse and take a ride.”  

Speaking of my horse, that’s another story.  

I remember the story like it was yesterday!  I loved to ride and I had a horse named “Champ” but, he died..he was my sisters horse.  I always wanted to have a Quarter Horse and compete in rodeos and do barrel racing , etc.  I begged my dad endlessly to please buy me another horse.  Well one day, as like many days...I was over at the Grueber house across the street from our house visiting my friends Kathy and Brad.

The Grueber house was my second home, anyway, one day when I was over there,  we saw a trailer full of horses going down the street to my dads lumberyard.  We looked at each other with wide eyes and a smile and they said “I bet your dad is buying you a horse today!”  We ran down to the lumberyard and sure enough, my dad said with a smile, “pick your horse out Roxy.”

I jumped with joy and I looked the horses over and I really liked one of them.  I knew the horse would run fast and I could work with it, but, there was another horse there that caught my attention.  

There was something wrong with her eye and I asked the guy who brought the horses down “what is was wrong with her eye.”  He told me that she had a glass eye and I said “what will happen to her if I don’t choose her” and he said, “she will be put down.”  I couldn’t let that happen!  So I gave up my dream of being in a rodeo and I chose her.  She was all white and I named her Lightning.  

There are many stories I could tell about riding her, but, it would take forever to tell them all.

I don’t know if my friends from back home, that are on my friends list in Facebook, know how come my dad always called me Roxy, so I will tell it.  

My family took a vote at the dinner table what to name me. 

The names they liked were Debra or Roxy.  My dad wanted to name me Roxy, but, he lost the vote, but, he called me Roxy anyway smiles..I wish my dad would of won the vote! 

My dad was a captain in the Army..he was a B-17 gunner.  You can read about my dad and his brothers on the link below.

https://journalstar.com/news/local/cindy-lange-kubick-five-brothers-in-service-to-their-country/article_036ed394-c7ef-5a9b-84cb-5a30db27ac1e.html

My dad loved to eat!  He’d always said that he starved in the Army and he wasn’t going to starve again!  

One time, my parents and the  Long family from Chester,-(I think went too?)-were going to see a game...whether it was a football game or a baseball game...I don’t remember..anyway my mom had made some baskets of food to take to the game.

When they arrived at the game, everyone decided it was time to eat some food.  Problem was this...there was no food to eat!  My dad had ate it all!  My mom said “Oh Doc, you didn’t!”

Then there was the time that there was a movie star who came into the lumberyard and her name was Kim Novak.  Kim had relatives in Hubbell and was visiting them.

My dad, being the gambler and a card shark, he bet someone in the lumberyard that he could get her autograph and the guy who he was betting, took the bet...he didn’t think my dad could get her autograph.  Sure enough my dad won the bet!  My dad didn’t ask Kim for her autograph, she bought some items at the lumberyard and she wrote a check therefor he got her autograph!  Sneaky, but, it worked!

My dad was a card shark, he was smart and he knew his cards!  My family enjoyed playing pitch and my sisters were always playing a game of pitch with our dad.  

Being the youngest and the most persistent sister of the bunch, I begged and begged to play.  I always sat on my dad’s lap and watched them play and I payed attention.  Well one day, my dad finally said with a smile and a wink “ok Roxy get on up here and play, “you can be my partner.”

Sitting proudly in my chair, it was time for me to bid and bid I did!  I bid 10!  My sisters laughed and said “ you have never played this game and you are bidding 10?”  

Dad just smiled and winked and I smiled.  Dad and I got the last laugh because we made my bid! I knew we would win!  We showed them laughing!

My dad and my mom both loved sports!  

My dad liked baseball and football.  My mom leaned more towards football.  She loved to watch Nebraska play!  She got a picture of Tom Osborne and he had signed it!  I forget exactly how that came about, but, I know she worshiped the man!

As I was saying, my dad loved sports too!  I remember him falling asleep in the recliner snoring and he would have a baseball game on tv, mom would turn down the tv or change the channel and dad would wake up and say “why did you turn the channel,, turn that back, I was watching the game!”  Mom would say, “oh Doc, you weren’t watching it, you were snoring” and he would say”turn the game back on!”  My sisters and I would laugh because we knew mom was right!

One time, he and some of his buddies flew out to see Nebraska play...I can’t remember who they were going to play,..but, anyway, they had to get on an airplane to get there.  

Well, story has it, from one of his dear friends, Ralph Laverentz-(not sure if I have the last name spelled right)-said that during the flight, my dad started singing the song “lord be with us until we meet again!”  He said all the passengers in the airplane started laughing!

My dad hated long hair on guys and for me to get to go out on a date with a guy with long hair was a miracle!  When he would see a guy with long hair playing football or whatever, he would say “now what is that girl doing playing football!”

My mom, well she was “mom”.

She never drank or smoked and she was very smart!  She worked at the lumberyard with my dad keeping the books etc.  

My mom and dad grew up in Cook Nebraska.  They grew up together and they went to the same school.  I wonder sometimes how they ever got together because they were opposites in many ways.  They say opposites attract so I guess that’s true!

My dad’s parents farmed and my moms parents owned a drugstore in Cook and her dad, my grandpa, was a pharmacist.

I never knew my dad’s parents, they died, but, I remember my mom’s parents.  My grandpa was funny and very smart...a little quiet and my grandma was also smart and she talked a lot smiling.  I loved to visit them, it was fun!

They used to have Mannschreck reunions at Cook and what a great time that was having all of dad’s brothers and my aunts together!  They told stories and the room was full of laughter!  I wished I would of thought of recording the stories they shared!

My mom played the organ at church.  She was in clubs such as “Woman Club”, etc.

I remember times when she would have dinner ready and my dad wouldn’t be home yet.  After awhile, she would call the town bar and restaurant, that was owned by the Grueber family-(that I mentioned earlier.). She would ask if Doc was there and they would say “no, I haven’t seen Doc.”  Now I can’t help but think that my dad was there and he probably told whoever answered the phone, to say that!

I remember that my sisters and I decided to help our mom out and clean out the kitchen cupboards.  My mom was a great cook!  Well we cleaned them so good that she couldn’t find anything for days..we were banned from ever cleaning them again!

Somehow with mom working at the lumberyard, playing the organ at church, being active in clubs and the town, going to all of my sisters and my activities and more, she kept her sanity!  My sisters and I would fight like siblings do...over hair rollers, clothes what show to watch on tv etc.

My mom taught me to cook, she taught me what matters in life and what doesn’t, she taught me how to be a good friend and so much more!  I remember playing games with her and laughing! 

My good friends Dee and Deb, lived in Chester Nebraska.  Their mom and dad were the greatest!  Their mom was in a wheelchair but she never once complained!  

I remember her laugh and her beautiful smile!  I am sure we kept them awake talking when I spent the night there ha!  My mom wrote the Omaha World Herald and told them about my friends mom and asked for people to send her birthday cards and people mailed her birthday cards from all over!  It made her and her family so very happy!

In every town, there is someone who makes a good impression to the town or a not so good impression.  Well in Hubbell, this person comes to my mind!  His name was Estel, but, he was nicknamed Goog.  Goog worked for my dad at the lumberyard and I am pretty sure my dad nicknamed him “Goog.”

Goog enjoyed his booze!  He enjoyed talking to himself, curse and do whatever that Goog likes to do!  My dad had cattle and there were many times that it was Goog’s responsibility to lock the gate so the cattle wouldn’t get out.  To make a long story short, he failed numerous times to lock the gate and out went the cattle!  Dad would have to round up people to get the cattle back in! Dad was NOT happy! 

One time, late at night, Goog decided to come over and visit lol. He pounded on our door and it woke us all up and to make a long story short, dad belted him a good one!  

I remember one time, I was walking down to the lumberyard to saddle up my horse and here came Goog out of the town tavern and cafe.  He started chasing me and I ran as fast as I could to my dad and he saw what was going on!  Man did he let Goog have it!   I am surprised he lived!  

My dad was not a violent man, but, no one messed with his daughters!  Big Big Mistake!

If any guy wanted to date one of his daughters, they better be nice!  As I look back now, I am surprised any of my sisters and I got asked out lol.  I think a lot of guys wondered if my dad would greet them holding a loaded gun haha.

Back to my neighbors, the  Grueber family!  There were Lucinda, Darleen, Steve, Stan, Kathy and Brad. We had so many good times together!  They were more like family to me than neighbors!  Their mom made the best fried chicken!  

I remember when one of my moms friends, Arlene Porter, told us that her nephew was going to move from California to Hubbell and his name was Todd!  We all were going to have a new friend!  

Todd fit in with all of us and we all shared great times with him!  

Living in Hubbell, you sometimes had to make your own excitement!  Well, Todd and Brad decided that it would be funny to chase me with dead snakes!  Oh how I hated that!  I never had a brother.  My brother died at child birth.  If I could of had a brother, I would of wanted him to be just like them!  We also played jokes on Goog because we knew he was drunk and we would wake him up!  We could hear him cussing “those dang kids!”

There are more stories I could tell, but, I will spare you all! 

I hope you have enjoyed reading this and the recipes!

My plan was to take pictures of the recipes and post them in here because it would be a lot easier to post them.  However, it wouldn’t take long for me to run out of space and then I would have to delete the pages to make room for more and I don’t want the recipes deleted.  I will have to type the recipes all out so it’s going to take me awhile to get it done.  Check back off and on and off to see what recipes have been added.  

Some of the recipes may have notes, because I made them and adjusted the recipe.  Feel free to adjust a recipe to your preference.  

I will add the persons name who were so kind to take the time to make this a wonderful and meaningful cookbook!

Appetizers & Beverages:

Cheeseball/Evelyn (Smith) Posvar:

2-oz. Cream Cheese

10-oz. Crushed Pineapple, Drained

1/4 Cup Green Pepper, Chopped

1-1/2 T. Seasoned Salt

1 T. Minced Onion

2 Cups Chopped Pecans-(Amount Opt.)

Mix and put in refrigerator until firm.

Take out, make ball and roll in nuts.

Cheese Ball/Shirley Rippe:

8-oz. Cream Cheese, Softened

1 Can Deviled Ham

1/2 Cup Diced Stuffed Olives

1/4 Tsp. Onion Powder

3/4 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Combine And shape into ball,

Best when served at room temperature.

Cheese Sandwich Spread/Juanita Young Compton:

1-lb. American Cheese

4 Hard-Boiled Eggs

Sweet Pickles, To Taste

Onion, To Taste

Salad Dressing

Grind the cheese, eggs, pickles and onions.

Mix with salad dressing.

Garlic Cheese Spread/Irene Long:

3/4-lb. American Cheese

1/2-lb. Butter

1 Tsp. Salt

1 Cup Cream

1/2 Tsp. Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 Tsp. Dry Mustard

1 Clove Garlic, Grated Fine

Melt all in double boiler until smooth.  Remove from heat and add one well beaten egg.  Blend well and chill.  Serve in crackers or rye bread.

Cheese Spread/Nellie Sinn:

1-lb.. Velveeta Cheese

8-oz. Cream Cheese

1 Stick Margarine, Room Temperature

2 Heaping T. Sandwich Spread-(Or More)-

Melt Velveeta until it mashes; Add cream cheese and margarine; mix well.  Add sandwich spread and mix well.  

Keep in refrigerator or can freeze.

Cheese Ball/Sharon Young:

4 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheesr

2-(3-oz.)-Pkgs. Cream Cheese

1/3 Cup Mayonnaise

1 Tsp. Worcestershire Sauce

1/8 Tsp. Onion Salt

1/8 Tsp. Celery Salt

2/3 Clove Garlic, Ground

1/4 Cup Sherry-(At Least)

Mix all ingredients and let stand in refrigerator overnight-(until hardened), then shape into balls.  Roll in dried beef-(shredded fine) or crushed walnuts or pecans.

Mexican RillUps/Shirley Rippe:Freda Wiedel:

8-oz. Cream Cheese, Softened

1 Can Black Olives, Chopped

Chopped Green Onions, To Taste

Cumin, To Taste

1 T. Sour Cream

Mix together and spread on thawed out flour tortilla shells.  Roll up and refrigerate. Slice and serve with salsa sauce,

Tortilla Roll Ups/Deb Mannschreck 

1-(8-oz.)-Pkg. Cream Cheese, Softened

1-(8-oz.)-Ctn. Sour Cream

1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded

1 T. Lemon Juice

1/2 Cup Diced Jalapeño Peppers*

1/2 Cup Black Olives, Chopped

1/4 Cup Green Peppers, Diced*

1-2 T. Taco Sauce-(Mild))-Or Salsa

1 Large Pkg. Flour Tortillas

Spread 2 tablespoons or a little more on each tortilla.  Roll up and slice.  Cover and refrigerate; serve with Picante Sauce.

***Can omit green pepper and jalapeños and substitute 1 small can of green chiles.

Mexican Fudge/Jan Meredith

2 Cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese

2 Cups Grated Cheddar Cheese

3 Eggs

3 T. Milk

3 T. Flour

1 Can Green Chiles, Drained

1 Small Can Olives

Put 2 cups cheese in bottom of a 9x12-inch pan.  Pour chiles over top, then olives.  Cover with next 2 cups of cheese.  Mix eggs, milk and flour together; sprinkle over mixture in pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes,  Let cool and cut in squares.

Alpo Dip:

1-(8-oz.)-Pjg. Cream Cheese

1 Cup Brown Sugar

Pecans

Mux by hand or in a blender and serve with apple slices.

Bean Dip/Beth (Mrs. Larry Rippe)

Brown 1-lb. hamburger; grease pizza pan or cookie sheet.

Spread 1 can of Refried Beans on bottom of pan.  Sprinkle cooked hamburger on top and bake in moderate oven until heated through-(about 20 minutes.). Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, then mozzarella cheese and return to oven until cheese is melted.

Spread sour cream in top of melted cheese.  Top With:

Sliced Olives, Green And/Or Black

Tomatoes-(Opt.)

Taco Sauce-(Opt.)

Use Doritos or corn chips to scoop put the dip and eat!  Great for parties!

Beef Nacho Cheese Dip/Carole Porter Flanagan

1-2-lbs. Hamburger

2-lbs. Velveeta Cheese

1 Can Cream Of Mushroom Soup

1-(8-oz.)-Jar Picante Sauce

Brown and drain hamburger.  Combine all other ingredients with hamburger and cook in crockpot.  Serve with Tortilla Chips.

• Plus1 1