Troy Walter's out

13 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

I mean this is obvious.... we wanted to bring on Micky Joseph and/ or Helfrich to be an analyst/ assistant coach. Neither wanted that limited of a role. Walters saw the writing on the wall and decided its best to move on as well. Now we can offer either of the above an OC job with a higher salary.

Makes total sense

Its also certainly plausible Walters having 1 foot out the door could have precipitated SF looking for his replacement & his replacement was found before he found the job???

• Plus1 1

Just now, floridacorn said:

Its also certainly plausible Walters having 1 foot out the door could have precipitated SF looking for his replacement & his replacement was found before he found the job???

That's also what I'm wondering..If Frost wasn't happy with his performance or if he was just trying that hard to get a different job and Frost felt that he has just as good or better options maybe he just said c-ya.  

My thought on what happened is Frost and Walters spent some time after the season chatting about things going forward.  Here are the options of those discussions.

1.  Frost decided he needed someone different because things weren't progressing as Frost wanted them to and he started looking elsewhere.

2.  Walters decided he needed to get out of Frost's shadow if he was going to grow his career, even if it means he takes a year off from coaching.

3.  There was a mutual decision where they decided they just can't work anymore together.  It happens a lot.  These guys have been through a lot together for the past 4 years, and maybe they decided it was best for the both of them to go in a different direction.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Farms said:

That's also what I'm wondering..If Frost wasn't happy with his performance or if he was just trying that hard to get a different job and Frost felt that he has just as good or better options maybe he just said c-ya.  

Frost isn't going to be unhappy with Walters looking for other jobs.  Coaches know the deal with each other, and generally don't get upset when people try to advance their careers.

1 minute ago, HuskerPwr said:

I think they were trying to allow him to find another job (like they did with Dewitt) before having to make this announcement.

Only reason I can think that they "had to" make the announcement is that they've hired someone.

Which should mean an announcement about that hire is coming soon.

• Fire 1

Matt Lubick has a fairly good track record as a coach. Recruited well when he was at Washington. Was an OC and Passing game coordinator before at Oregon. Also, coached up some good Duke receivers en route to a 2012 WR coach of the year. I know he was out of coaching in 2019, but he is not that far out that he just forgot everything. I believe we need someone to coach up receivers and he can definitely do that. He will be able to recruit at a high level too.