Kudos to SF

HANC

9 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Hiring another OC clone that will probably be as predictable at play calling (if allowed to even call plays)?

Frost has called and will likely call plays the entire time he is coach. I keep seeing people mention play calling and such with the new OC. It isn't going to change anything Frost is the play caller the same way Tom was.

Also, bringing in a "clone" was really the only option. In your third year you aren't going to suddenly change offensive schemes no matter how many Husker fans want the FB back. We've seen how disastrous third year scheme changes can be...

38 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Frost has called and will likely call plays the entire time he is coach. I keep seeing people mention play calling and such with the new OC. It isn't going to change anything Frost is the play caller the same way Tom was.

Also, bringing in a "clone" was really the only option. In your third year you aren't going to suddenly change offensive schemes no matter how many Husker fans want the FB back. We've seen how disastrous third year scheme changes can be...

I could see one reason why a HC wants to call plays when he came up through the coaching ranks doing so as an OC.  He has his system.  he knows what he wants and what his strategy is for doing what he wants to do.

OCs come and go.  If Frost calls the plays and is that involved with the system, then if Lubick gets a HC gig a few years from now, the system wills till mostly stay the same with a new guy coming in.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I could see one reason why a HC wants to call plays when he came up through the coaching ranks doing so as an OC.  He has his system.  he knows what he wants and what his strategy is for doing what he wants to do.

OCs come and go.  If Frost calls the plays and is that involved with the system, then if Lubick gets a HC gig a few years from now, the system wills till mostly stay the same with a new guy coming in.

I agree. I think in the early going with all the other stuff that needs fixed it seems daunting for Frost to call the plays. But once the culture takes hold, we have better players, players that fit the system. It will be less for Frost to focus on and I think he will do better at calling plays. Less distractions and better players will go a long way in him regaining his play calling form we saw at UCF and Oregon.

• Plus1 1

I don't claim to know exactly what Walters' day-to-day roles were. But if I had to guess, Frost's OC has to digest a ton of film each week. Remember that practices get filmed also, not just games.

So Frost's OC has to digest a lot of film and and then help figure out where more practice time needs to be focused on and which position groups need the most work.

Personally, I hope Lubick can play a role in turning around our WR corps. When I look at talented guys like Woodyard and Mike Williams who wound up basically doing jack I think it's obvious that group needs more work. And the whole offensive system needs more attention to the small details when you look at the year 2 offensive regression.

The conversation shouldn't be fixated on the play calling IMO.

• Plus1 5
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't claim to know exactly what Walters' day-to-day roles were. But if I had to guess, Frost's OC has to digest a ton of film each week. Remember that practices get filmed also, not just games.

So Frost's OC has to digest a lot of film and and then help figure out where more practice time needs to be focused on and which position groups need the most work.

Personally, I hope Lubick can play a role in turning around our WR corps. When I look at talented guys like Woodyard and Mike Williams who wound up basically doing jack I think it's obvious that group needs more work. And the whole offensive system needs more attention to the small details when you look at the year 2 offensive regression.

The conversation shouldn't be fixated on the play calling IMO.

I agree about Woodyard. He may not have been a high rated football player. But man if the guy really runs low 10's in the 100. You HAVE to find a way to get him the ball. Kick returns or say go out and run a post. I mean how hard is it to run a few routes.Go deep and heave a few to him and see what happens.

I'm not personally getting too caught up in what these staff changes do or don't mean, outside of the hope that it all leads to a better product on the field. We've all seen examples of where staff consistency can be a good or bad thing and we've seen examples of where staff changes can be a good or bad thing.

I have an immense amount of confidence in Frost still, but he can only do so much. This staff hasn't quite yet found the right pieces to put a solid product on the field. Hopefully, these changes will be a step in the right direction.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there a site one can go to that gives very detailed analytics / stats that would break down the numbers more?    I’d be interested in finding such info as:

1.   % of passes vs runs by down and distance. 
2.   % of passes vs runs by field position.  
3.   % of pass plays that became runs such as sacks and scrambles etc.  

4.   % of passes thrown from “run based” formations etc.  

It just seems like there were so many times when we’d get first down and ten inside the opponents’ 40 and then when knowing a field goal was “ify” due to kicker issues and we went pass happy and failed to score TDs.  Red zone scoring seemed well below average and without a power run game in the offense we had a better chance to score from outside the 20 than inside even with the 4-down strategy.  
To me it just seems this offense lacks a real power run element and 3rd and three is a passing down and teams defend us that way.  ??

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

To me it just seems this offense lacks a real power run element and 3rd and three is a passing down and teams defend us that way.  ??

It depends on what your expectation or definition is of a "power run element."

Frost's offense, with the right players and execution, can get tough yards in the run game. It just may not be in a format or scheme people are accustomed to seeing. But, we saw it work against Michigan St. in 2018.

The bigger issue, particularly in 2019, was that Nebraska just couldn't find its overall offensive identity and rhythm. It's tough to run the football against most division one defenses, but it's even tougher when the rest of the offense struggles to perform as a cohesive and fluid unit.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It depends on what your expectation or definition is of a "power run element."

Frost's offense, with the right players and execution, can get tough yards in the run game. It just may not be in a format or scheme people are accustomed to seeing. But, we saw it work against Michigan St. in 2018.

The bigger issue, particularly in 2019, was that Nebraska just couldn't find its overall offensive identity and rhythm. It's tough to run the football against most division one defenses, but it's even tougher when the rest of the offense struggles to perform as a cohesive and fluid unit.

Agreed.   But without a two back set (we rarely snap the ball with more than one and more often have no RBs than two).  Couple that with AM not being a real running threat (defenses don’t fear AM carrying the ball much really IMO) and our use of scat backs so much, I just feel very little power is ever threatened let alone used.  This in turn let’s the defense just defend our short passing stuff and pressure AM fearlessly.  
I admit injuries etc confounded things in ‘19 but we should have adjusted schemes to combat this.  For example - I’m not sure we even have a handful of plays with QB AM under center or just a QB sneak in the playbook.  At 6-2 and 220 LBs AM ought to be able to lean for a yard or two.  

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

In the Big 10, 3rd & 3 is going to be a passing down for a lot of teams because of the high level of run defense played in this conference.

What we lack is an offensive line to consistently create running lanes. We also need more than just Jack Stoll as a decent run blocking TE. If & when that gets fixed, it will appear to most that "tH3 poWer RUn g4Me iz bAcK!!!!11" When in reality it will just be better overall and basic run blocking quality.

Ohio State has an amazing running game and also runs a spread offense. It isn't the scheme on offense, it's the players on the field out there not throwing blocks.

• Plus1 2

20 minutes ago, Undone said:

In the Big 10, 3rd & 3 is going to be a passing down for a lot of teams because of the high level of run defense played in this conference.

What we lack is an offensive line to consistently create running lanes. We also need more than just Jack Stoll as a decent run blocking TE. If & when that gets fixed, it will appear to most that "tH3 poWer RUn g4Me iz bAcK!!!!11" When in reality it will just be better overall and basic run blocking quality.

Ohio State has an amazing running game and also runs a spread offense. It isn't the scheme on offense, it's the players on the field out there not throwing blocks.

Doesnt hurt when you have a top notch runningback like dobbins to find the holes, make guys miss, run over guys, run away from guys. Basically do everything right.

26 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Doesnt hurt when you have a top notch runningback like dobbins to find the holes, make guys miss, run over guys, run away from guys. Basically do everything right.

Agreed.

Mostly addressing the throngs of lifelong Husker fans though who - after having retired option football for 17 seasons now - still think we are only likely to be successful as an offense again if we bring back a smashmouth scheme.

7 hours ago, Undone said:

What we lack is an offensive line to consistently create running lanes.

That, and we lacked a real deep threat WR, so opposing defenses didn't have to respect that threat much and could load up to stop the run more.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Undone said:

Agreed.

Mostly addressing the throngs of lifelong Husker fans though who - after having retired option football for 17 seasons now - still think we are only likely to be successful as an offense again if we bring back a smashmouth scheme.

I don't think ''Smashmouth'' will ever be much of an option anymore...I loved leading with my head to break up wedges, And still having clete marks from Jay Novacek on my back but that sort of stuff will get you kicked out of the game now..(And CTE when you get to be my age)...I don't even like watching it as much as I used to (to my shock)..

23 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

For? 

Hiring another OC clone that will probably be as predictable at play calling (if allowed to even call plays)?

I haven't given up on SF yet, but I'm also hoping he prioritizes the Defensive side of the ball sometime soon..(Some of the new recruits were a pleasant surprise, though).

I accidently clicked on one of those slideshow things ''Worst College Football Coaches Of All Time'' today.. 

Reveal hidden contents

Only Callihan and Pelini were listed from DONU  No Riley sightings yet

I thought the same thing about Callahan back in the day, but it sort of reminded me of our worst case scenario with some of our current staff...Hopefully we can replace the word ''NEVER'' and our fanbase can stop writing, ''Once he gets his players here".

14 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Sometimes I Thought SF and Callahan set up their Defenses to fail..In the latest case. mainly to get the Offense more chances to get on the field to score.

I don't necessarily think we need a sudden change in scheme  (maybe), but different variations from a second set of eyes...Maybe we can stop being so secretive about injuries and concentrate on hiding information on who's calling the plays after halftime. 

''Clone'' was probably a poor choice of words.. But what set us apart from teams that usually ranked higher than us in recruiting rankings, was our ability to innovate...Be that from visiting other coaches' clinics (Bowden), or breaking down film (By our Defensive coaches).    I guess my initial reaction was fear we would have a harder time evolving with too similar of mindset.. The next successful evolution will be more likely to come from some sort of hybridization  than solely from a ''Yes Man'' environment.. 

On 1/20/2020 at 12:49 AM, Landlord said:

There is plenty of denying it, because it's not true. 

It is bad, but it is contextually not as bad when you understand that we pretty much never called passing plays in the red zone. 

When you are helplessly digging for a reason why a 1-1 TD to INT ratio is ok..........you MIGHT be a Martinez. Didnt know how to finish that joke.....  point is its terrible..stop looking for an explanation that can include  your baseless posts of Martinez being not so bad this year.