The 2020 Attrition Thread

knapplc

2 hours ago, 307husker said:

I think scholarships should have to be renewed on a yearly basis. If a player lacks value to the team, or has lost the confidence of the coaches, they should be moved off of an athletic scholarship. Perhaps there should be a way for them to continue their education on a non-athletic scholarship, but I hate the idea of a 4+ year "guarantee" for young athletes who may or may not deserve it.

A bit extreme for me but I see where you are coming from.  Scholarships should be earned not granted.  I’m pretty clear, if a non contributor after 3 yrs I don’t know wh6 it’s even a question or controversial at all.

8 hours ago, 307husker said:

I think scholarships should have to be renewed on a yearly basis. If a player lacks value to the team, or has lost the confidence of the coaches, they should be moved off of an athletic scholarship. Perhaps there should be a way for them to continue their education on a non-athletic scholarship, but I hate the idea of a 4+ year "guarantee" for young athletes who may or may not deserve it.

6 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

A bit extreme for me but I see where you are coming from.  Scholarships should be earned not granted.  I’m pretty clear, if a non contributor after 3 yrs I don’t know wh6 it’s even a question or controversial at all.

That brings me back to a movie I watched as a Freshman? in highschool...I was shocked that that was ever done, and just assumed it was something that only ''Bad SEC schools'' did.

If we got that kind of rep, why would you ever want your kid to play there?

''One on One''

Henry Steele is a basketball phenom at his small town high school, but when he matriculates to a big city university on a scholarship, soon realizes that he has few skills outside the sport. Expected by his coach to contribute significantly to the team, Henry is overwhelmed by the demands on his time, the "big business" aspect of college sports, and the fact that he never fully learned to read. Things look bleak for Henry when Janet Hays, a pretty graduate student, is assigned as Henry's tutor. Her intellect and strength lift Henry out of his doldrums just in time to battle the coach, who attempts to rescind Henry's scholarship.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

That brings me back to a movie I watched as a Freshman? in highschool...I was shocked that that was ever done, and just assumed it was something that only ''Bad SEC schools'' did.

If we got that kind of rep, why would you ever want your kid to play there?

''One on One''

I’m not for renewing every yr.  I am for helping find kids that are largely non contributors a new school/scholly after yr 3.  As a parent this wouldn’t bug me at all.  I mean guys MRs last class has been responsible for 36 starts, 33 of them by jaimes.  We just had a guy transfer that in 3 yrs hasn’t been responsible for one tackle, unassisted or assisted.   Not controversial, or at least shouldn’t be.

7 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

I’m not for renewing every yr.  I am for helping find kids that are largely non contributors a new school/scholly after yr 3.  As a parent this wouldn’t bug me at all.  I mean guys MRs last class has been responsible for 36 starts, 33 of them by jaimes.  We just had a guy transfer that in 3 yrs hasn’t been responsible for one tackle, unassisted or assisted.   Not controversial, or at least shouldn’t be.

So..Win at all costs.

Karma?

“It’s kind of a situation where I’m super protective of our kids, and as long as I’m here recruiting and you screw one of our kids over, that’s just not going to sit well with us,” he said. “It’s not his fault he got hurt. I don’t agree with any school dropping a kid for any reason other than if it’s trouble or academics. He gave his commitment. You accept it. Good, bad or indifferent, you should roll with the commitment. At the end of the day we are men, so how can we pay it forward and teach kids that your word should mean something if we can’t demonstrate something as well?”

I know you're not talking about injured players...YET...But these guys contribute more than just measurable stats.

Karma may not be a real thing, but one of the last things that set us apart from the pros, is that we care more about these athletes than just what they can do for us.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

So..Win at all costs.

Karma?

I know you're not talking about injured players...YET...But these guys contribute more than just measurable stats.

Karma may not be a real thing, but one of the last things that set us apart from the pros, is that we care more about these athletes than just what they can do for us.

If “win at all costs” is what you got out of what I said you need to read it again.  If you still get that maybe have someone read it to you.  It’s so far from “winning at all costs” that statement is simply flamethrowing.  

im not talking about injured players.  I get guys contribute to team in more than stats, I guess you’d have to convince me that an incoming frosh, with an obviously higher in field ceiling, can’t fill that contribution on the scout team, cheerleader, social butterfly, moral, etc.... I’d have a hard time believing a 3rd yr player with 0 “zero” on field contributions has a chance at any measurable contribution in yr four.  Helping them find a scholly somewhere else benefits them and us.  Hardly controversial, hardly winning at all costs. 

3 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Let's get back on topic. 

This is on topic.  Frost is finally doing what he didn’t in yr one, what mr and bo didn’t do the entire time they were here.  Here’s why it’s a big deal.

say this year you know you have 20 sr.  So you should only sign 20 new players, by that mindset.  The problem is coaches in the past would take verbals from 20, and shut it down.  Signing day would come and maybe 1-2 verbals commit elsewhere, so you didn’t sign 20 you signed 18....on top of 2-3 players that choose to leave...so you really netted out +15-16 players.  The remaining “unused” scholarships would be given to walkons.  Multiply this at least 9-10 yrs and that’s what frost walked into.

frost finally said, with in reason, how many quality recruits can we get and we will find room.  This will be the first “full” class we’ve taken since I can’t remember when,  10+yrs.

2 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

If “win at all costs” is what you got out of what I said you need to read it again.  If you still get that maybe have someone read it to you.  It’s so far from “winning at all costs” that statement is simply flamethrowing.  

im not talking about injured players.  I get guys contribute to team in more than stats, I guess you’d have to convince me that an incoming frosh, with an obviously higher in field ceiling, can’t fill that contribution on the scout team, cheerleader, social butterfly, moral, etc.... I’d have a hard time believing a 3rd yr player with 0 “zero” on field contributions has a chance at any measurable contribution in yr four.  Helping them find a scholly somewhere else benefits them and us.  Hardly controversial, hardly winning at all costs. 

I remember we were starting to get the ''Win at all Costs'' reputation after C. Peter/ LP/ 3 other guys from that team that we tried to hide from the law ..Heck, even Johnny Rodgers being kept on the team, even though he'd gotten in trouble.   But what I meant by it in this situation, was that I fear if we start reneging er...taking scholarships back, we actually will get that reputation among high school coaches and recruits..It's also much easier to play for someone you feel actually cares about you rather than a former coach's ''Us against the Fans'' mentality.

I get it that we want to fight against the ''participation trophy'' mentality of today's kids, and the need to make every scholarship count, but our coaches/recruiters need to be more responsible for evaluating that talent/desire as well as development.

It's a crapshoot on both sides..and with today's specialization and revolving door coaches...Putting even more pressure on these guys seems unhealthy.

Even when my cousin was put on scholarship as a RFr in the early 80's, he couldn't take more than 12 credit hours during the season..Imagine trying to finish up or catch up on classes if you had to switch colleges too..On top of learning a new playbook.

Even with all the money generated, we need to educate these student athletes ...and realize this is mostly just entertainment

5 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I remember we were starting to get the ''Win at all Costs'' reputation after C. Peter/ LP/ 3 other guys from that team that we tried to hide from the law ..Heck, even Johnny Rodgers being kept on the team, even though he'd gotten in trouble.   But what I meant by it in this situation, was that I fear if we start reneging er...taking scholarships back, we actually will get that reputation among high school coaches and recruits..It's also much easier to play for someone you feel actually cares about you rather than a former coach's ''Us against the Fans'' mentality.

I get it that we want to fight against the ''participation trophy'' mentality of today's kids, and the need to make every scholarship count, but our coaches/recruiters need to be more responsible for evaluating that talent/desire as well as development.

It's a crapshoot on both sides..and with today's specialization and revolving door coaches...Putting even more pressure on these guys seems unhealthy.

Even when my cousin was put on scholarship as a RFr in the early 80's, he couldn't take more than 12 credit hours during the season..Imagine trying to finish up or catch up on classes if you had to switch colleges too..On top of learning a new playbook.

Even with all the money generated, we need to educate these student athletes ...and realize this is mostly just entertainment

I see your point, I do.  All I would say in response is you make it sound a lot colder and harsh than it has to be.  I’m suggesting, and it seems to be happening, sitting players down that haven’t contributed and coaches don’t see a path to over the rest of their time here.  Sit them down and candidly let them know that and why.  Let them know if the choose to transfer you as a staff will help them any way you can, helping them land at a school with a scholarship with a staff they can feel good about.  This doesn’t have to be a bridge burner but is necessary if we want to succeed.  

When the coaches and schemes are in constant state of flux it has to be very tough on everyone involved (players coaches staff admin families etal).  Frost and company need time to get some stability and continuity and buy in across time.  It sounds great to just dump a bunch and start from scratch.  But a total build over is a monumental challenge.  
This is now the 4th major reboot in just 16 years.   Every time things start to settle down the slate has been erased yet again Callahan, Pelini, Riley and now Frost.   Combine all the programming turmoil with roster roll over and a conference change and several administrations and dozens of position hires and so on - it’s no wonder the team is struggling to find ways to win.  
Time heals all wounds but you have to give it the time to heal before you tear things open yet again.   Focus on fundamentals.  Blocking tackling conditioning, recruiting and training.   Repeat as necessary.  

• Plus1 1