Jump to content
knapplc

The 2020 Attrition Thread

Recommended Posts

I don't have an issue with walk-on players leaving the program if they don't think they are going to play.  Yes, it would be great if they were able to stay and add depth.  But, if a guy is never going to play, then he's better off going to a lower division, get his college paid for, and play a couple more years of football.

 

The purpose of the walk-on program is to add more players to the roster at no expense to the football program, and whatever contribution the players make is a bonus.

  • Plus1 5

Share this post


Link to post

Walkons are not just roster filler.   They are recruited athletes that the  coaches have confidence can be contributors in many vital ways.  Some will become starters and many will see playing opportunities as specialists and role players.  They also are vital to practices as competition, scouts, and team mates to all.  

With UNL’s free tuition for resident students, the cost may not be much different between scholarship and walkons in that regard.  Of course all players are costly to train, med, meals, equip, tutor, supervise etc.  

Walk on guys are very important imo and should not be discounted and Frost needs to reward the three best each year with scholarships imo.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Walkons are not just roster filler.   They are recruited athletes that the  coaches have confidence can be contributors in many vital ways.  Some will become starters and many will see playing opportunities as specialists and role players.  They also are vital to practices as competition, scouts, and team mates to all.  

With UNL’s free tuition for resident students, the cost may not be much different between scholarship and walkons in that regard.  Of course all players are costly to train, med, meals, equip, tutor, supervise etc.  

Walk on guys are very important imo and should not be discounted and Frost needs to reward the three best each year with scholarships imo.  

Frost should only reward walk-ons with scholarships if there are open scholarships and they are earned. Now, in most years there are available scholarships, but if your plan is to hold back 3 scholarships every year for walk ons, then you are self-imposing a scholarship reduction on the program, which isn’t smart.

  • Plus1 6

Share this post


Link to post

Use three scholarships for walkons is how you get good quality guys.   If used wisely you’ll get scholarship caliber guys that work hard and really want to be there.   Treat em right - it will pay off in production.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Use three scholarships for walkons is how you get good quality guys.   If used wisely you’ll get scholarship caliber guys that work hard and really want to be there.   Treat em right - it will pay off in production.  

But setting aside 3 scholarships to not use for scholarship recruiting is putting yourself on probation.  I can’t believe how you can be so wrong on so many things. 

  • Plus1 6
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Use three scholarships for walkons is how you get good quality guys.   If used wisely you’ll get scholarship caliber guys that work hard and really want to be there.   Treat em right - it will pay off in production.  

 

You absolutely cannot take three scholarships out of the pool you are allowed to use. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

 

You absolutely cannot take three scholarships out of the pool you are allowed to use. 

You are using them wisely for known quantities.  The most helpful things to improve the talent pool of the program is to find good players with a true interest in being Husker student- athletes and coming to Lincoln to get an education and become a better player and get ready for adult life after football is over.  Hopefully they are exceptional HS players with good academics and decent human beings socially.  

Just aiming for highly rated (by somebody else) and sending hundreds and hundreds of invitations wont get a group of guys assembled to become a successful team.  Select from

those who really want to be there. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like how they do it today.   If a walkon becomes a starter or earns his way into the regular playing rotation then he earns a 'ship for that year or the next depending upon current numbers.   If it's available for that season give it to them, if not plan it in for the next cycle.   Don't want to make it too complicated.   

 

Hurts to lose Forbes but I think it also says how strong the OL is getting.  Also speaks to the body type they are ultimately looking for. 

  • Plus1 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

I like the current system as well. And I love walkons, but they have always transferred. It's worth it to give UNL a shot, and if it doesn't work out moving on is fine too. Especially with no penalty if they transfer down. It's not like their time was wasted, going against guys like Darrion and the Davises is super valuable experience.

 

Walkons have always transferred, we just hear about it more now with social media. Best of luck to the guys, they helped our team for a couple years and deserve a shot to play more elsewhere. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I like the current system as well. And I love walkons, but they have always transferred. It's worth it to give UNL a shot, and if it doesn't work out moving on is fine too. Especially with no penalty if they transfer down. It's not like their time was wasted, going against guys like Darrion and the Davises is super valuable experience.

 

Walkons have always transferred, we just hear about it more now with social media. Best of luck to the guys, they helped our team for a couple years and deserve a shot to play more elsewhere. 

Great point about Walk-ons always transferring in the past. This is only a topic worth discussing because of social media and the local writers don’t have real sports to write about. 

Share this post


Link to post

And remember that these walk-ons missed their opportunity to continue to develop and show off for the coaches in spring. Some of them were probably planning to see how this spring went for them before making a decision, but obviously a whole lot of plans have changed in the last few months. It'll be interesting to see how the numbers compare next year.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

Going to a conference rival with immediate eligibility.  Here we go.

 

If there's actually a season this year, we could face Vedral in our seventh game.

 

 

 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...