The 2020 Attrition Thread

knapplc

This was posted in the JD thread:

It is a lot, but I don't think it's as bad as it looks. A lot of guys stuck around with the new staff, but have been recruited over or passed by younger guys. Losing 14 a year is unsustainable long term, but we're pretty much out of guys recruited by others at this point. I'm not sure where they got the number either. The only way I could get close was including Washington and Jones, who were long gone before the end of last year. 

Guys that it hurts to lose from an on field perspective:

JD Spielman

Mo Washington

Young guys who it would've been good to keep, but hard to miss production that hasn't happened:

Henry Gray

Darien Chase 

Guys that contributed some, but were being passed by younger guys:

Noah Vedral 

Jaron Woodyard 

Miles Jones (could argue he belongs in either of the next 2 categories)

And a bunch of guys who were buried on the depth chart

Tony Butler  

Pernell Jefferson 

Jaylin Bradley

John Raridon

Barrett Pickering
Jaevon McQuitty 

Not sure who I'm missing - but outside of Spielman, Gray, and Chase (arguably Jones as well - he's tough to categorize), I'm not super bummed about parting ways. Those are the only ones whose departures might throw a red flag for the state of the program, and Gray/Chase had good reasons. Spielman probably does as well, so I'm not concerned. The other guys can play more somewhere else, and we can fill the spots with younger talent. We just had more of those guys on the roster than we should have at the end of last year.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

If you don’t think that after this offseason we haven’t improved the roster then you are crazy. Mo/Spielman hurt for sure. Gray is not our fault nor is Chase. We upgraded coaches & the roster this offseason. Hoping we add N.Joseph 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Guys that contributed some, but were being passed by younger guys:

Noah Vedral 

Jaron Woodyard 

Miles Jones (could argue he belongs in either of the next 2 categories)

And a bunch of guys who were buried on the depth chart

Tony Butler  

Pernell Jefferson 

Jaylin Bradley

John Raridon

Barrett Pickering
Jaevon McQuitty 

And the last group - that didn't get listed - is where Miles Jones could be?  So he could be in the next group below "a bunch of guys who were buried on the depth chart"???  ;)

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

And the last group - that didn't get listed - is where Miles Jones could be?  So he could be in the next group below "a bunch of guys who were buried on the depth chart"???  ;)

Lol, guess I meant above or below. I don't do a great job of focusing through my posts, I just kind of ramble. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

So I guess we win?

Michigan lost a bunch of 4*s. Any reason why? Lots of talent  or something else? 

I’d venture to guess a lot of these players are just down, kinda like the rest of the population. This is a way for them to head home or try something new and hope they’re happier there. 

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’d venture to guess a lot of these players are just down, kinda like the rest of the population. This is a way for them to head home or try something new and hope they’re happier there. 

But I think the 10 4*s in a year was 2019.  Seems high, maybe they were overrated coming in and couldn’t crack the depth chart? Or a declining program? 

• 4 weeks later...