The 2020 Attrition Thread

knapplc

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

When I was at UNL (a long time ago), we just had pluses to the letter grades.  B+ was worth 3.5 and a B was worth 3.0.

If they added minuses to the grading system, 1.8 is probably a C- average.

Dunno if that’s possible, most degree courses have a grade point average. IE. a business course requires a GPA of 2.5 and a c- for a required business course is a retake. I could be wrong and those are my recent changes. 

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, and since then, Woodyard and Pernell announced they are leaving.  So, that's where I came up with 3 more.

I already had them off the list.  

It is three from where we are right now (if Reimers gets a scholarship).  But we are probably adding two more before fall, so five.

Butler is one, so four more.

11 hours ago, CalhounHusker said:

Dunno if that’s possible, most degree courses have a grade point average. IE. a business course requires a GPA of 2.5 and a c- for a required business course is a retake. I could be wrong and those are my recent changes. 

That's how the grading was when i was there.

On 1/23/2020 at 5:04 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Kids just need to be full-time students, and do well enough in the classes to be eligible.  That's a minimum of 12 credit hours during the fall and winter semesters, and I don't know if they are "allowed" to fail any classes.  Interesting that Bradley was named to the team honor roll in 2019.

There's a little more to it than that. They have to make progress in their core classes. They can't just pad their schedule with 100 level classes. 

Last summer a UMich academic counselor was on the radio talking about how she helps kids. She said it can be difficult for athletes to change majors because of the required progress with core requirements. Say you start as an civil engineer and you have the required core going into your junior year, it might be possible to change to EE or ChemE. Switching to journalism would be almost impossible and stay academically eligible. The engineering core doesn't overlap the j-school core enough to be able to meet the required core hours.

So break the law, break school or team rules, or go against social norms and you can overcome your mistakes and play. Choose the wrong major and you're stuck. Just another instance of where the NCAA rules suck.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Gage County said:

There's a little more to it than that. They have to make progress in their core classes. They can't just pad their schedule with 100 level classes. 

Last summer a UMich academic counselor was on the radio talking about how she helps kids. She said it can be difficult for athletes to change majors because of the required progress with core requirements. Say you start as an civil engineer and you have the required core going into your junior year, it might be possible to change to EE or ChemE. Switching to journalism would be almost impossible and stay academically eligible. The engineering core doesn't overlap the j-school core enough to be able to meet the required core hours.

So break the law, break school or team rules, or go against social norms and you can overcome your mistakes and play. Choose the wrong major and you're stuck. Just another instance of where the NCAA rules suck.

Not really.  Your core classes are pretty much the same so changing majors after year 1 is easy to do.  After 2 is doable, especially if you redshirt as you get the extra year.  Just because you are eligible for sports for 5 years does not mean you will graduate.

19 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Not really.  Your core classes are pretty much the same so changing majors after year 1 is easy to do.  After 2 is doable, especially if you redshirt as you get the extra year.  Just because you are eligible for sports for 5 years does not mean you will graduate.

That is false. After 5 semesters, the ncaa requires you to declare a major. Also, meaning after at least 60 credits. They also must have 40% of degree fulfillment in said declared major in their third year and 60% in their 4th year or they will be declared ineligible. 

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

That is false. After 5 semesters, the ncaa requires you to declare a major. Also, meaning after at least 60 credits. They also must have 40% of degree fulfillment in said declared major in their third year and 60% in their 4th year or they will be declared ineligible. 

Yes, 2.5 years.  My son switched his after year 2 & was eligible as he filled up with core classes & had most of his electives filled.   60% is not getting your degree, just qualifying.

33 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Yes, 2.5 years.  My son switched his after year 2 & was eligible as he filled up with core classes & had most of his electives filled.   60% is not getting your degree, just qualifying.

No, they must have 60% finished in their degree field. A major change would change the amount of allocated credits in said field.