Lubick

24 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

I've seen a few tweets posted on other boards saying his recruiting and player development had been lacking in his last few years at Washington, the guys he brought in either transferred out or didn't play.  I know nothing about Washington football so who knows if that was all on him .

He was a pretty damn good recruiter for Washington.  All the players he recruited are either RsFr or TrFr currently.  He had 1 player he recruited transfer and the name might sound familiar to Husker folks,  QB Colson Yankoff.  Here is who he landed for Washington.

2018:

Spiker - .9703  4*

Yankoff - .9564  4*  ( transferred to UCLA )

Osborne - .9180  4*

Lowe - .9094  4*

2019:

McDuffie - .9442  4*

Turner - .9007  4*

Davis - .8796  3* 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2019/01/08/matt-lubick-leaves-coaching-oversee-canvas-partnership-colorado-state-university/2513081002/

Matt Lubick, the oldest son of legendary CSU football coach Sonny Lubick, is giving up his college coaching career to come home and work with the new partnership between Canvas Credit Union and the university.

Coaching, he said, left little time for anything else. Typical work days ran from 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week, during the season, and even when you did have time off, you were constantly sending text messages, taking phone calls and sending emails.

“It’s always hard to leave coaching and the relationships you’ve had, but, at the same time, this was kind of thought out; this wasn’t a whim,'' he said. "To me, there’s stuff more important than football, and this lets me explore something different.”

That doesn't inspire confidence about his commitment to football, he left coaching in 2019, maybe he found his spark again.

It’s one of the things you say when you want out.  Like “I want to spend more time with family”.  It’s been done by Urban Meyer 64 times.

Furthermore, Chris Peterson just stepped down this year.  I wonder if something is broken in that program.

• Plus1 2

I know these guys LOVE to talk about how much they work...but if you are working 6am until midnight as a CFB coach...you are a moron.

Steve Spurrier used to make fun of the coaches that did that and for good reason.

I get WANTING to be at the office, because you are hanging with your friends, you have catered meals all day long, you can watch sports all day...but the 15-18 hour day thing is sooooo dramatic.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I know these guys LOVE to talk about how much they work...but if you are working 6am until midnight as a CFB coach...you are a moron.

Steve Spurrier used to make fun of the coaches that did that and for good reason.

I get WANTING to be at the office, because you are hanging with your friends, you have catered meals all day long, you can watch sports all day...but the 15-18 hour day thing is sooooo dramatic.

Spurrier didn't have to spend as much time as most for recruiting at Florida, talent every where that loved his style of football 

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

It’s one of the things you say when you want out.  Like “I want to spend more time with family”.  It’s been done by Urban Meyer 64 times.

Furthermore, Chris Peterson just stepped down this year.  I wonder if something is broken in that program.

There had been a little smoke over the past couple years that Peterson was starting to get burnt out and he was vocal after UW's Rose Bowl loss to Ohio State that he was pretty unhappy.  While hardly the straw that broke the camel's back, the transfer portal was the bane of Peterson's existence.  He hated it.  I just think he was ready to be done.  He's made tens of millions, he's in his mid 50s.  It was time for him to get out.  I do think he'll coach again as either a position coach or maybe a HS coach but I'd be surprised if he ever was a HC for a major college program/NFL again.  The only thing that would make me take it back is if the Seahawks came calling.

To stay on topic, I'm extremely surprised that Lubick is joining the staff as I figured he'd stay put in Fort Collins.  He'll be a good addition to the staff and knows HCSF's schemes inside and out.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, they’re not shingling roofs or screeding off concrete, they're sitting around talking on the phone, watching TV and eating little smokies.

They should give people who do real labor a break with their work stories.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Yeah, they’re not shingling roofs or screeding off concrete, they're sitting around talking on the phone, watching TV and eating little smokies.

They should give people who do real labor a break with their work stories.

Yup. Looks like these coaches spend as much or even more time talking about football as the frequent flyers on Huskerboard.  Lol.  How do they do it?  It takes real dedication and hard work! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Same with Bob Stoops.  After coaching under Snyder, he always talked about not putting that much pressure to work long hours on his assistants.  Says it’s not worth it 

• Plus1 1