Lubick

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Is it possible that frost also wanted an OC that he saw potential in to trust enough to call plays in the future? I don’t think he is ready to give up playcalling yet but if he gets to a point he knows he needs to be more of a CEO to take us to the next level. 

Hoping he’s a guy that says...”hey coach, that kid turns the ball over a lot.  We should pull him.”

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Is it possible that frost also wanted an OC that he saw potential in to trust enough to call plays in the future? I don’t think he is ready to give up playcalling yet but if he gets to a point he knows he needs to be more of a CEO to take us to the next level. 

It could be, but I think it's more having the ability to get receivers open. I got the feeling that the play call didn't matter that much because the blocking was poor and nobody was open most of the time. I think most teams would be okay with us running the QB keeper as much as we want.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, teachercd said:

I know these guys LOVE to talk about how much they work...but if you are working 6am until midnight as a CFB coach...you are a moron.

Steve Spurrier used to make fun of the coaches that did that and for good reason.

I get WANTING to be at the office, because you are hanging with your friends, you have catered meals all day long, you can watch sports all day...but the 15-18 hour day thing is sooooo dramatic.

Was this sarcasm? Those dudes work 80 hour weeks in season because their job is dependent on winning games and recruiting the best players. They’ll do anything to find an edge because their job depends on it. At the top they get paid very well but one bad season and there is hundreds of dudes willing to put in 80 hour weeks to replace you. I’m sure dudes at some levels can afford decent work life balance but at the top you can’t. 

5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Was this sarcasm? Those dudes work 80 hour weeks in season because their job is dependent on winning games and recruiting the best players. They’ll do anything to find an edge because their job depends on it. At the top they get paid very well but one bad season and there is hundreds of dudes willing to put in 80 hour weeks to replace you. I’m sure dudes at some levels can afford decent work life balance but at the top you can’t. 

It is not sarcasm.  

I mean, if you think they are "working" the entire time they are at the office, well, I don't know what to tell you.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Oh no doubt about it.

Shoot, back in the day, before the PC crowd and the Social Justice Warriors, those coaches could party downtown and at the office.

I remember talking to a waitress when AFCA was in Indy, they were ready for it to be over, and I they still had the combine in front of them. The cigar bars and strip clubs were printing money those weeks.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Dagerow said:

I don’t know much about the guy, but Frost said “He is the only person I considered for this position,” and to me, that speaks volumes.  

For the most part it seems to check out as a good hire, at the very least far better than Walters (not a high bar, I know), but I don't think Frost really means that.

Joseph as WR/OC and Helfrich as analyst would have been a home run.  Lubbock is (probably) just a good, solid hire.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Lubick > Joseph...

Joseph has only been a P5 coach since 2016 with 1 yr. being a RB coach for Louisiana Tech and the other 3 as LSU's WR coach.  Lubick has been a P5 coach for 23 years with 19 years of being a WR coach along with being an OC for 4 years.  

The only reason Joseph is a hot name in Husker nation right now is because he is a Husker alum on a team that just had one of the best seasons in college football.  

Truth

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Lubick > Joseph...

Joseph has only been a P5 coach since 2016 with 1 yr. being a RB coach for Louisiana Tech and the other 3 as LSU's WR coach.  Lubick has been a P5 coach for 23 years with 19 years of being a WR coach along with being an OC for 4 years.  

The only reason Joseph is a hot name in Husker nation right now is because he is a Husker alum on a team that just had one of the best seasons in college football.  

Spot on sometimes I wonder why husker fans are so easily blinded by their own.Mickey is a great coach but he’s a few years away from being on Matt’s level. 

• Plus1 2

when guys say they are quitting their profession to spend more time with their family, the kids are usually in their thirties and living in other cities.

i don’t buy the family excuse, but I think the stress is real. As fun as football and free food sounds, even great coaches confess to constant high level anxiety. Underneath Tom Osborne’s laidback monotone was a heart that needed a quadruple bypass.

• Plus1 4

You are spot on.  It is the stress and the fact that these coaches didnt spend time with their children before they were in their 30s and potentially providing grandchildren.  The stress is self induced to succeed. Unfortunately families suffer the by product. There comes a time, graduations, marriages, grandchildren and health scares that begin to make coaches realize what they missed. This is when they stop to spend time with the ones they unintentionally due to the stress to succeed.  But, coaching is in their blood, almost relatable to an addiction (not trying to minimize actual life threatening addictions), because the coach finds out that they are lost without it. This typically draws them back.

So you are right, stress is the primary reason for getting out, but it is also the reason they need to make up for lost time with family, which in turn makes that excuse valid.  Trust me.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

i don’t buy the family excuse, but I think the stress is real. As fun as football and free food sounds, even great coaches confess to constant high level anxiety. Underneath Tom Osborne’s laidback monotone was a heart that needed a quadruple bypass.

Then there's Pelini having to be driven to the hospital during/right after a game.