Lubick

19 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Lubick > Joseph...

Joseph has only been a P5 coach since 2016 with 1 yr. being a RB coach for Louisiana Tech and the other 3 as LSU's WR coach.  Lubick has been a P5 coach for 23 years with 19 years of being a WR coach along with being an OC for 4 years.  

The only reason Joseph is a hot name in Husker nation right now is because he is a Husker alum on a team that just had one of the best seasons in college football.  

I don't know if you watched LSU this year but their WRs were fantastic.   Would have been a homerun hire.

More experienced doesn't necessarily mean better.  In terms of whose better for Nebraska Joseph is an alum and Lubick is a bit of a flake, so we'll see.

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't know if you watched LSU this year but their WRs were fantastic.   Would have been a homerun hire.

More experienced doesn't necessarily mean better.  In terms of whose better for Nebraska Joseph is an alum and Lubick is a bit of a flake, so we'll see.

Some flakes are good. E.g. cornflakes. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'm not sold on the Joseph argument.  That entire coaching staff will be looking for jobs in three years when they don't win another national championship.  Larry Coker was the HC at Miami in 2001 and was out of there five years later because they couldn't replicate a generational talent that was on that roster.  Burrow, the receivers, and the defense were a once in a generation perfect storm.  Not many QB's have the skill or confidence to say that if the DB isn't looking, his receivers are open.  I doubt whoever is coming in behind Burrow will be even in the same universe as him.

I'm not saying Joseph is a bad coach, I'm just saying that I like Lubbick better because he has demonstrated consistent success at his other previous stops.

• Plus1 7
43 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

I'm not sold on the Joseph argument.  That entire coaching staff will be looking for jobs in three years when they don't win another national championship.  Larry Coker was the HC at Miami in 2001 and was out of there five years later because they couldn't replicate a generational talent that was on that roster.  Burrow, the receivers, and the defense were a once in a generation perfect storm.  Not many QB's have the skill or confidence to say that if the DB isn't looking, his receivers are open.  I doubt whoever is coming in behind Burrow will be even in the same universe as him.

I'm not saying Joseph is a bad coach, I'm just saying that I like Lubbick better because he has demonstrated consistent success at his other previous stops.

Not to mention that Lubick knows Frost's scheme inside and out. Yes what LSU ran with Brady this year is similar to Frost's and Joseph would have adjusted, but Lubick knows what Frost wants to do and will help elevate it. No matter what fans think the offense under Frost isn't going to change drastically in the next year or two. It's his bread and butter.

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I see no reason to complain about the Lubick hire.  Seems kind of odd.

Good point. It is odd to complain about it, and I’ll go a step further and say if anyone actually thinks this is a bad hire, you’re either not paying attention, or choosing to be ignorant. 

“Lubick was one of three finalists for the American Football Coaches Association's Assistant Coach of the Year award for 2012. A big reason is the production his receivers turned in for Duke, which reached a bowl game for the first time since 1994.He was also named the wide receivers coach of the year in 2012 by footballscoop.com. Duke was the only FBS team in the country in 2012 with three receivers to catch at least 60 passes, led by Conner Vernon’s program-record 85 receptions. 

On January 28, 2013, University of Oregon football coach Mark Helfrich hired Lubick as the Ducks' passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach. He replaced Scott Frost, who was promoted to offensive coordinator. Lubick's teaching's took Oregon's receivers to much improved level in his first season with the Ducks.  Josh Huff set the single-season mark for receiving yards in a season with 1,140 - breaking a school record that stood for 43 years. Oregon set a school record for total offense in a season at 7,345, besting the old mark of 7,319 in 2011, which happened during a 14-game season.“

His recruiting is phenomenal and he’s with a guy he wants to coach with. Someone he’s had success under in the past.

All I have to say now is...giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a4277a76e1424b5dfe9

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Job performance often comes down to two big elements:

1. The pay of the position relative to other opportunities a candidate has.

2. The way the candidate's boss conveys and carries out expectations.

#1 is solid, as we were paying Walters $700,000 per year. And as far as #2 goes, Lubick knows that Frost fired the previous guy after two seasons for poor performance.

All of the proper motivation is in place for Lubick to come in and perform well. 

3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Not to mention that Lubick knows Frost's scheme inside and out. Yes what LSU ran with Brady this year is similar to Frost's and Joseph would have adjusted, but Lubick knows what Frost wants to do and will help elevate it. No matter what fans think the offense under Frost isn't going to change drastically in the next year or two. It's his bread and butter.

Plus Lubick has shown the ability to adjust schemes when he worked for Chris P. in Washington.  Those claiming Lubick is just another "Oregon guy" are not being fair to his coaching acumen IMO.

• Plus1 1

I like this hire. I love his resume. I admire his history and relationships with Frost at Oregon. Not to mention his astounding accomplishments at Washington. But I'll only see how much I really love this guy when I see what he produces on the DAMN FIELD here at Nebraska!