Lubick

The question may be whether he’ll just be another YES man for Frost. Will we get more of the same which hasn’t produced wins or do we get some new ideas and adjustments to make the offense more efficient - scoring more points with the same yardage etc. It doesn’t matter how we score (run or pass or kick) but we need to score 35-40 a game or the defense will have to be lights out better.  That’d be great to but 28 a game is atleast a TD too little to win most games these days. 
I think Frost will keep the OC duties mostly as Is (that’s Frost’s gambit really).  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The question may be whether he’ll just be another YES man for Frost. Will we get more of the same which hasn’t produced wins or do we get some new ideas and adjustments to make the offense more efficient - scoring more points with the same yardage etc. It doesn’t matter how we score (run or pass or kick) but we need to score 35-40 a game or the defense will have to be lights out better.  That’d be great to but 28 a game is atleast a TD too little to win most games these days. 
I think Frost will keep the OC duties mostly as Is (that’s Frost’s g  as gambit really).  

Considering Frost used him as a consultant last season to try to help him figure out what to do and pay him 70k in the process...I am going to assume he is capable of providing valuable feedback to Frost. 

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think Frost will keep the OC duties mostly as Is (that’s Frost’s gambit really).  

I've seen the yes man comment from several people and I really don't get it. When you have worked with and respect someone's opinion you are way more likely to listen to them. He hired Lubick last year to consult for him and I doubt he paid him to just be like yup coach I think what you're doing is working. If Frost brings in someone like Joseph, who he has never worked with, and he starts telling him how wrong he is doing things most people would react brashly to that unless they knew they needed a change. Lubick can come in and say look coach you're going at it this way and and I think we need to look at it differently. Frost is going to respect that coming from a guy he coached with and likely already respects a lot.

• Plus1 3

I have no idea if he will or won’t be a yes man.  But Frost has shown he tends to hire almost exclusively those he knows and worked with.  This is true of most hires by most bosses.  But we’re only two years in to his tenure and the continuity of staff which many argue as important hasn’t been all that exceptional.  Players need to build trust and many want to know who they will be coached by too. Coaching in general is a revolving door business I know but when you are just starting out I’d think getting some stability and team building for the coaching staff seems even more critical.  
I’m a Frost supporter fully yet I think he’s still young and inexperienced as the boss.  Lubick has lots of experience - I hope he stays on long term and provides whatever has been missing.  

16 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I have no idea if he will or won’t be a yes man.  But Frost has shown he tends to hire almost exclusively those he knows and worked with.  This is true of most hires by most bosses.  But we’re only two years in to his tenure and the continuity of staff which many argue as important hasn’t been all that exceptional.  Players need to build trust and many want to know who they will be coached by too. Coaching in general is a revolving door business I know but when you are just starting out I’d think getting some stability and team building for the coaching staff seems even more critical.  
I’m a Frost supporter fully yet I think he’s still young and inexperienced as the boss.  Lubick has lots of experience - I hope he stays on long term and provides whatever has been missing.  

I don’t think Lubick will be a yes man, honestly probably the opposite. Frost trusts him and respects him, probably to the point that if Lubick calls him on something Frost will listen. I doubt Walters challenged Frost on much of anything, he had never called plays before - Lubick has had 2 OC stints not under Frost which excites me on what he can bring to the table.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The question may be whether he’ll just be another YES man for Frost.

If there's anyone who thinks Walters was a yes man, and think (or suspect) that Frost wants another one, can you answer one question for me, please? Why, exactly, do you think Frost fired Walters? If Frost just wants yes men, wouldn't he have just stayed the course?

• Plus1 2

I think Walters basically is or now was a yes man ( whatever the boss wants - right or wrong - is my rough definition) whether he believed in it or not.   If the rumors are true that he’s been looking to move up to a HC or higher grade coordinator job then one might well expect Walters to publicly accept his next job coaching any of a dozen offensive schemes with equal enthusiasm.  That’d be a yes man!   Never questions much - just takes orders and follows without question.  
I’m saying Frost is young and many times young bosses don’t relate well with older underlings that may have different ideas.  

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I don’t know about you, but when I have an open spot I’m always calling people I know (that are capable) first.   Always.

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I don’t know about you, but when I have an open spot I’m always calling people I know (that are capable) first.   Always.

Yes it’s always comfortable to hire the ones you know but you need to hire who you need.   And maybe what Frost needs is someone with

a new and different perspective and perhaps background.  I’m not sure because I know I’m no expert in the spread offense Frost style.  I think I understand the game of football pretty well but may not know all the latest verbiage and jargon.  There’s more than one way to skin a cat or score TDs as it were.  But blocking and tackling are still the prerequisites for winning no matter what fancy scheme you use.  Been that way for hundred years.  Over that time I dare say every scheme has been tried and worked then didn’t as there’s always a strength and a weakness.  Frost has been around the sharpest football minds.  He just needs to keep his mind open to learn and relearn.  Things cycle and evolve.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I’m saying Frost is young and many times young bosses don’t relate well with older underlings that may have different ideas.  

So is that your answer to why you think Frost fired Walters?

Walters is 2 years younger than Frost, by the way.

• Plus1 2