Lubick

I like the Lubick hire.   There is continuity to it.  Lubick doesn't have to learn terminology.  He already knows all the concepts and what adjustments to make against opponents when they switch things up.    Since he did some consultant work for us he already has a bit of familarity with our personnel.  He should be able to hit the ground running.   He coached at Washington so he may have some fresh ideas to add.      He is a guy that will recruit and has been recognized as a good WR coach.   Sounds like a good solid hire!

12 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

I like the Lubbick hire.   There is continuity to it.  Lubbick doesn't have to learn terminology.  He already knows all the concepts and what adjustments to make against oppenents when they switch things up.    Since he did some consultant work for us he already has a bit of familarity with our personnel.  He should be able to hit the ground running.   He coached at Washington so he may have some fresh ideas to add.      He is a guy that will recruit and has been recognized as a good WR coach.   Sounds like a good solid hire!

Good points.  If he brings new ideas and adjustments to game plans when opponents present their own adjustments then perfect hire.  So long as Frost is open to constructive criticisms etc. I have the feeling he is just that but we all want to see it in the games to rest assured.  When’s the first practice?   Can’t wait to get back to football!   Lol

9 hours ago, Toe said:

So is that your answer to why you think Frost fired Walters?

Walters is 2 years younger than Frost, by the way.

I don’t buy that he fired him as such beyond that he may have be tired of Walters’ constantly looking for greener pastures.  We don’t really know the true reason if it was a not so mutual parting do we?  

37 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

All assistant coaches are "yes men" to a degree. 

That's true.  I also think it's a pretty dang good hire. Certainly could have done worse.

I just don't think he was the best available candidate, so I don't believe Frost when he says Lubick is the only guy he considered.  Of course he's going to talk up the guy he hired.

37 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

To the people who don't think this was that great of a hire, who outside of Mickey Joseph or Helfrich would you have liked to get the job?

Personally, I like the hire a lot.  He has a great track record and Frost is comfortable with him.  I have said many times, that he is a smarter hire that Joseph at this point in time.  Joseph may become a fantastic coach, but after 2 losing seasons, Frost can not "gamble".

Not sure what everyone wants.  We have to remember, that as much as most of us love, live, breath Nebraska football, we have to come to grips that the glory years are far long ago.  These recruits haven't even seen a very good program for over a decade.  This goes for coaches too.  Getting certain coaches to come here isn't as easy as we may want to think.  

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, HANC said:

Personally, I like the hire a lot.  He has a great track record and Frost is comfortable with him.  I have said many times, that he is a smarter hire that Joseph at this point in time.  Joseph may become a fantastic coach, but after 2 losing seasons, Frost can not "gamble".

Not sure what everyone wants.  We have to remember, that as much as most of us love, live, breath Nebraska football, we have to come to grips that the glory years are far long ago.  These recruits haven't even seen a very good program for over a decade.  This goes for coaches too.  Getting certain coaches to come here isn't as easy as we may want to think.  

Good points.  To be honest i think this downfall of Nebraska football was a good thing for us.  We seriously needed the humbling.  Much like Alabama could use a downfall about now.  I love the passion of our fan base, and it is possible we have the best fans in college football.  But we certainly aren't without some major warts.  After being so lucky to have not only 2 of the greatest football coaches of all time, but also to have them both for decades.  Our entire fan base basically expected this school in the middle of the northern plains to be in the top 5 every year.  Also, as nice as we were to opposing fans that were witnessing their beloved team get belittled and beat up, we could be spoiled, mean, brats to our own coaches and players.  

Their are only a handful of programs with expectations as high as Nebraska has had.  Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, USC, OSU, Oklahoma, maybe Texas or Michigan.  Of those, all of them have talent coming out their own a$$ except for us, Notre Dame, Michigan and Oklahoma.  Oklahoma is much closer to talent than us.  Basically we stand alone with Michigan and maybe Notre Dame for the most rediculous expectations.  And neither of them have done much better than us.  I feel like most of our fan base has been humbled enough to see the light, so that if we ever get back into a Championship game we will appreciate it for what its worth again.  And so if we win 10 games and just miss on the playoff we wont whine about our coaches and players and actually be thankful for, and enjoy the season despite narrowly missing the playoff.  I think we are ready now, and yes we needed all 20 years of this cause even after 10 years of being a normal football program, our fans still thought we were entitled to be a permanent top 5-10 team.  We still thought a trained monkey could finish top 10 in the middle of Canada, which is what Nebraska is to most of the best players.