Kudos to San Francisco

The parallels aren't perfect, but they're useful. 

After internal power struggles between coach and management resulted in the firing of Jim Harbaugh, followed by bad coaching hires, a huge exodus of talent, and  lifeless losing seasons that lost the fanbase, the San Francisco 49ers hired Kyle Shanahan as coach and John Lynch as GM in a package deal and guaranteed them 7 years (iirc) and non-interference from ownership. 

They go 6-10 in their first season. Then 4 -12 in their second season. Shanahan is clearly a gifted play-caller, but injuries, bad luck, a lack of depth keep them from doing anything with it. 

But nobody panics. They're in this for the long haul. Season 3: relatively untested Jimmy Garrappolo stays healthy. They draft one good receiver, pick up an NFL veteran receiver mid-season, and double down on a running game featuring little known running backs that every other NFL team ignored. The same offensive scheme Shanahan ran before suddenly produces beautifully: it's a big playbook with a lot of weapons and a lot of motion, but it' starts with the running game. The 49ers can run it down your throat. That makes your play-action a lot more effective , which allows your not particularly mobile quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards.

Then on defense you pick up two edge rushers. Two guys who can put pressure on a quarterback, which has a way of making the same guys in your secondary a lot better. And for all the talk about your offensive genius coach and his clever playcalling, the team identity is transformed overnight to smashmouth defense. For that matter, your fullback, tight end, wide receiver and even your quarterback are seen scoring pancake blocks to clear lanes downfield for your running backs. Team attitude and chemistry goes through the roof. They're having fun and going to the Super Bowl. 

Long story short: Nebraska is about six players away from being relevant again. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Long story short: Nebraska is about six players away from being relevant again.

I understand the overall point you're making there, but I'd say it's quite the loaded statement.

Oklahoma was about six players away from being LSU. Wisconsin was about six players away from being Ohio State. Iowa was about six players away from being Wisconsin. On and on it goes.

There have been so many things wrong with Frost's team in his first two years that it's hard to know where to even start the write-up. In my estimation the Niners were comparatively way closer to success three years ago than when Frost took over for our program in 2018.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Undone said:

I understand the overall point you're making there, but I'd say it's quite the loaded statement.

Oklahoma was about six players away from being LSU. Wisconsin was about six players away from being Ohio State. Iowa was about six players away from being Wisconsin. On and on it goes.

There have been so many things wrong with Frost's team in his first two years that it's hard to know where to even start the write-up. In my estimation the Niners were comparatively way closer to success three years ago than when Frost took over for our program in 2018.

I'm not saying Nebraska's going to the Super Bowl, either. I'm just saying we're a few strategic players away from relevance. Same coach. Same scheme. New attitude. 

There are enough parallels between Shanahan and Frost's first two seasons to provide a little hope. And if you like the idea of a modern football team getting 280 yards rushing in a dominating Conference Championship Game, you might like the idea of Frost following Shanahan's lead, especially since Scott is already leaning in that direction.  

Gotta give Saleh some props as well.  That defense is solid....I do see where you are going.  Some good draft picks (recruiting), develop players and depth and a good supportive GM (AD).  I think that the team has taken on Lynch's personality as much as a GM can influence that.  They play with passion, physicality  and reckless abandon.  A lot like he did.

I am cautiously optimistic that as Frost gets his guys (staff worked out) that we will start to see the benefits.  I really expected more in 2019 (not winning the West, but 7-5/8-4 year).  But as you noted, injuries, depth etc crushed us...Now is Frost and Co would use our TEs like Kittle....(and run the damn ball:D)A lot of dudes with a lot of touches (similar to our number of guys who can tote the rock) And receivers who got a lot of receptions and carries....Our skill guys look like theirs....

Wish they'd pass more to Jamie Williams..

And why doesn't Tom Rathman, Doug Dubose, or Roger Craig get many carries any more?

Have they traded Willie Harper, Jay Moore, or Bill Lafleur yet?

Shame that Niles Paul took that massive hit against the Giants ...or that Osborne fella barely contributed...

And Lawrence Phillips' lack of pass blocking skills might soon end Steve Young's career.

12 hours ago, lo country said:

Gotta give Saleh some props as well.  That defense is solid....I do see where you are going.  Some good draft picks (recruiting), develop players and depth and a good supportive GM (AD).  I think that the team has taken on Lynch's personality as much as a GM can influence that.  They play with passion, physicality  and reckless abandon.  A lot like he did.

I am cautiously optimistic that as Frost gets his guys (staff worked out) that we will start to see the benefits.  I really expected more in 2019 (not winning the West, but 7-5/8-4 year).  But as you noted, injuries, depth etc crushed us...Now is Frost and Co would use our TEs like Kittle....(and run the damn ball:D)A lot of dudes with a lot of touches (similar to our number of guys who can tote the rock) And receivers who got a lot of receptions and carries....Our skill guys look like theirs....

As long as we're drawing conclusions from their situation, there are interesting parallels with Chinander there. 3rd year DC with the team, first 2 years underwhelming but with slight improvements. Much of our fanbase would've wanted Saleh gone before this year, but in this case sticking with him worked. Hopefully it's the same with Chins.

• Plus1 3

14 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not saying Nebraska's going to the Super Bowl, either. I'm just saying we're a few strategic players away from relevance. Same coach. Same scheme. New attitude. 

There are enough parallels between Shanahan and Frost's first two seasons to provide a little hope. And if you like the idea of a modern football team getting 280 yards rushing in a dominating Conference Championship Game, you might like the idea of Frost following Shanahan's lead, especially since Scott is already leaning in that direction.  

Image result for downer

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, chamrocck said:

We've needed 2 edge rushers for the last decade so it may not be what we need but how soon we can get it.  :lol:

If you’re talking the right players it wouldn’t have taken six.  You add Suh and Wistrom and Mike Brown to the defense and Raiola and LP and even S Morgan and Alex Hennery to the squad and 9 or 10 wins happens.  Maybe even better. Just think what a dozen starters from most of the teams of the 80s or 90s would be magical - not just the big stars necessarily.  Recruiting can fix most of the problems.  

6 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Wish they'd pass more to Jamie Williams..

And why doesn't Tom Rathman, Doug Dubose, or Roger Craig get many carries any more?

Have they traded Willie Harper, Jay Moore, or Bill Lafleur yet?

Shame that Niles Paul took that massive hit against the Giants ...or that Osborne fella barely contributed...

And Lawrence Phillips' lack of pass blocking skills might soon end Steve Young's career.

Well you are clearly a veteran 49er fan.