Caustic Culture

On 1/20/2020 at 4:27 PM, BackInTheDay said:

QUESTION:  Why do college football teams have "19 and 20 year old kids" and the Armed Services have "19 and 20 year old MEN"?

ANSWER:  It's a matter of expectations.

Mods, please allow me to +1 this post two or three times. You aren’t a kid if you can safely handle and fire a machine gun in combat. Damn well should be considered an adult, and be treated as such. These are grown a$$ men playing football and joining the military. Stop coddling them. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, kozzman555 said:

Mods, please allow me to +1 this post two or three times. You aren’t a kid if you can safely handle and fire a machine gun in combat. Damn well should be considered an adult, and be treated as such. These are grown a$$ men playing football and joining the military. Stop coddling them. 

The VA is at the leading edge of behavioral health because it turns out a century of giving teenagers guns and telling them to go kill people wasn’t good for them.

Your brain is not developed yet.   I love all my 11bulletcatchers but I coddled you all as a profession in theater and this act stops the minute your buddies aren’t around, no matter what unit tier.

• Plus1 4
6 hours ago, dubsker said:

The VA is at the leading edge of behavioral health because it turns out a century of giving teenagers guns and telling them to go kill people wasn’t good for them.

Your brain is not developed yet.   I love all my 11bulletcatchers but I coddled you all as a profession in theater and this act stops the minute your buddies aren’t around, no matter what unit tier.

Giving anyone a gun and telling them to go kill people isn’t good for them, regardless of age. 

if we are going to arbitrarily pick some number/age to say “this person is now an adult” then we should be consistent. If 18 is good enough for war, then I’m going to treat some college football player the same way. If we want to say, the age of adulthood is higher, like 25 or whatever number is bandied about these days, then that’s fine. But it damn well should be that way across the board. 

Until military minimum age is increased, I’m not going to hold any sympathy for college athletes. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Previous coaches were unable to hold players accountable because of lack of success and focus in recruiting.  The way frost has recruited, specifically the last two yrs, and with the walkon on program you hope you get to the point to “next man up” and “there’s the door”.  Just be careful, I started a thread here previously and some were really triggered at the idea of helping people transition out of the program for any reason outside a felony charge.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, kozzman555 said:

Bingo! Machine guns are just the tip of the iceberg. They’re also being trained to work on nuclear submarines and on the decks of aircraft carriers with their fellow crew members relying on them to follow high reliability principles and procedures without fail. 

12 hours ago, dubsker said:

The army still has 18 and 19 year old kids.  Insisting otherwise doesn’t make it so.

haha I can't believe this had to be said....my 18 y/o buddies who enlisted we're no more mature then me - we just took different paths. Now at early 30s they have become men and good fathers - but at 18-25 it was touch and go for all of us, regardless If we were serving or not. Just a silly statement. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, kozzman555 said:

Giving anyone a gun and telling them to go kill people isn’t good for them, regardless of age. 

if we are going to arbitrarily pick some number/age to say “this person is now an adult” then we should be consistent. If 18 is good enough for war, then I’m going to treat some college football player the same way. If we want to say, the age of adulthood is higher, like 25 or whatever number is bandied about these days, then that’s fine. But it damn well should be that way across the board. 

Until military minimum age is increased, I’m not going to hold any sympathy for college athletes. 

Because everyone matures at the same rate.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Because everyone matures at the same rate.

Exactly. There are 14 year olds that are more mature than 40 year olds. This is why we as a society have selected a number that we feel is roughly when most people can be considered to be adults and they can make their own life decisions instead of having their parents/guardians do it for them. We do this because there is no test or physical development that states that a certain person is mature enough to be adult. 

Anyone over the age of 18, who is intelligent enough to not only pass high school, but can also get into college, learn complicated playbooks and juggle all of that at the same time as working out and practicing should absolutely be judged as a mature adult and treated as such. 

On 1/21/2020 at 2:45 PM, VectorVictor said:

Maybe the team should start an internal organization...or even a club, dare say, to address this.

I mean, it's time these kids should hold each other accountable and start by asking "do you really want to hurt me"? And each mister, man...I bet they would move away like a runaway train and say "yeah, I'll tumble for ya." And when that happens, our karma, chameleon-like, would change instantly. 

Hmmmm.  Imagine that.  If only it had happened Yesterday.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

Bingo! Machine guns are just the tip of the iceberg. They’re also being trained to work on nuclear submarines and on the decks of aircraft carriers with their fellow crew members relying on them to follow high reliability principles and procedures without fail. 

When I went to my son's graduation from Air Force basic training, we had an 'intro' meeting with a couple of officers, basically telling us the expectations they had for our kids.  "You got concerned when you gave them the keys to the family car.  We are going to put them in charge of multimillion dollar aircraft and systems.  We don't worry about them, we don't have time.  So we train them and teach them how to live with expectations."   I was Army way back in the day, and we were as rowdy as any 18, 19 year olds.  But when on duty and it 'mattered', we were absolutely professional, dependable and motivated.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

On 1/20/2020 at 5:39 PM, Nvested said:

In season, I heard Tyrin Ferguson was going around with a petition to shorten or lighten up practices. Came from a place with pretty decent credibility as a former player and within pretty short time he was no longer with the team. This doesn’t surprise me to hear something similar.

Link??

HAHAHA

8 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

When I went to my son's graduation from Air Force basic training, we had an 'intro' meeting with a couple of officers, basically telling us the expectations they had for our kids.  "You got concerned when you gave them the keys to the family car.  We are going to put them in charge of multimillion dollar aircraft and systems.  We don't worry about them, we don't have time.  So we train them and teach them how to live with expectations."   I was Army way back in the day, and we were as rowdy as any 18, 19 year olds.  But when on duty and it 'mattered', we were absolutely professional, dependable and motivated.

Yeah, my buddy was in the Navy and in the Sub he said it was all business...but on leave/downtime it was all drinking and looking for girls.

38 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

First, thank you and your son for serving. My parents got a similar speech from a recruiter before I joined the USAF in ‘99. It’s pretty incredible to see the training and support you receive and how effective they are at helping you grow from being a kid to a man in a short amount of time. I needed that structure in my life at that time. It was the best decision I could have made, and it’s set me up for success with every other role I’ve taken since.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Lightfighter214 said:

Im beginning to wonder if anyway that repeats things like "19 year old MEN" ever served or have been in a line unit, or if they just romanticize  their service. The only true thing mentioned about this was that people mature a different rates.

The 19 year old MEN in your typical infantry unit have way more problems then football teams, the biggest separator is the fact that the military folks are under contract and the army owns you. You screw up, we are just going to be on cq for 24 hours every Saturday,  and make you sign in every hour on Friday,  all while staying in a guarded barracks. You aren't allowed to screwup. And if you find a way in those circumstances to screw up more,  they just tighten the reigns even more.

I think the general public would almost be flabbergasted at what an army brigade soldiers do. The duis, fights, 700 dollar car loans, general destruction of property, and drugs. You just don't hear about it much. Not to mention e-4s riding out their contract that will do some of the most impressive things to avoid simply doing 5 minutes of work.

The miltary has more probelms with these "MEN" then the general public or even veterans want to admit to, but they are very real. 

You'll have no problem from me admitting any of those things :).  If Joe were responsible, half the car dealers near post would be out of business.