Caustic Culture

Yeah, it's very unfortunate that the culture is still bad but it really isn't mostly Frost's fault. What happened is he stayed at UCF to coach their bowl game to make them perfect and in doing so, he was unable to carefully evaluate the recruits he brought in that same year. Thus most of them (or over half of them) ended up being bust due to either grades, morality, or actual real talent level. So a recruiting class that was supposed to be starters last season ended being little to know help at all and actually ended up being burdensome more than helpful since they actually ruined the culture here that much further with all the drug problems we've had including before last season even started, the rapes, the bad leadership, etc.

But because it came at the sacrifice of making UCF perfect, I'm actually not mad at Frost for this. I enjoyed watching UCF being coached to an unprecedented 2 year perfection from being winless the previous 2 seasons before. That's what garnered Frost a natty on his resume as well as all of those "coach of the year" awards which he has still used to this day to bring in the best quality of recruits Nebraska has had in all of it's years in the 2000's. And what he did for UCF will likely continue to help him in terms of recruiting for Nebraska from here on forward as well. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, .1. said:

Yeah, it's very unfortunate that the culture is still bad but it really isn't mostly Frost's fault. What happened is he stayed at UCF to coach their bowl game to make them perfect and in doing so, he was unable to carefully evaluate the recruits he brought in that same year. Thus most of them (or over half of them) ended up being bust due to either grades, morality, or actual real talent level. So a recruiting class that was supposed to be starters last season ended being little to know help at all and actually ended up being burdensome more than helpful since they actually ruined the culture here that much further with all the drug problems we've had including before last season even started, the rapes, the bad leadership, etc.

But because it came at the sacrifice of making UCF perfect, I'm actually not mad at Frost for this. I enjoyed watching UCF being coached to an unprecedented 2 year perfection from being winless the previous 2 seasons before. That's what garnered Frost a natty on his resume as well as all of those "coach of the year" awards which he has still used to this day to bring in the best quality of recruits Nebraska has had in all of it's years in the 2000's. And what he did for UCF will likely continue to help him in terms of recruiting for Nebraska from here on forward as well. 

The bad first recruiting class was not because he stayed at UCF for the bowl game. The early signing period didn't help him, but even if it had been the typical signing day, it would have been similar.

Almost all transition classes for all newly hired coaches end up looking pretty bad. There's just not enough time to look into the kids and develop relationships. There end up being a lot of reaches either on character or ability.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

The bad first recruiting class was not because he stayed at UCF for the bowl game. The early signing period didn't help him, but even if it had been the typical signing day, it would have been similar.

Almost all transition classes for all newly hired coaches end up looking pretty bad. There's just not enough time to look into the kids and develop relationships. There end up being a lot of reaches either on character or ability.

Yeah, but the culture being bad at Nebraska and Frost not being able to develop relationships with the "then current roster" was not why his first year of recruits did so horribly. His first year of recruits were not carefully evaluated by him and his staff beforehand to prevent them being a bust in the first place. It's the coaches job to evaluate their recruits to see how their grades are, what their criminal history is, their work habits, seeing how they really play all 4 quarters on the field to check their actual talent level for themselves, seeing what kind of person they are to determine if they'd fit with their system, etc. Frost and staff did not do any of those evaluations and simply recruited based off of "star ratings" which is never the one simple thing to go by when recruiting.

Again I'm not mad at that since it only happened because of coaching UCF to perfection instead of carefully evaluating the recruits he was bringing onto Nebraska that year. But in addition to that, yeah what you said about the early sign date working against them as well was also apparent. 

• Fire 1
On 1/24/2020 at 8:52 PM, .1. said:

Yeah, but the culture being bad at Nebraska and Frost not being able to develop relationships with the "then current roster" was not why his first year of recruits did so horribly. His first year of recruits were not carefully evaluated by him and his staff beforehand to prevent them being a bust in the first place. It's the coaches job to evaluate their recruits to see how their grades are, what their criminal history is, their work habits, seeing how they really play all 4 quarters on the field to check their actual talent level for themselves, seeing what kind of person they are to determine if they'd fit with their system, etc. Frost and staff did not do any of those evaluations and simply recruited based off of "star ratings" which is never the one simple thing to go by when recruiting.

Again I'm not mad at that since it only happened because of coaching UCF to perfection instead of carefully evaluating the recruits he was bringing onto Nebraska that year. But in addition to that, yeah what you said about the early sign date working against them as well was also apparent. 

You can’t begin to compare the situations at UCF and NU.  For starters, ucf was only a few yrs removed from double digit win seasons, not the case here.  Our culture had been eroded over the last 20 yrs, UCF 3-4 yrs.  also, getting some wins early, this starting to build confidence leading to buy in, is much easier in the AAC then the big10.  You put those same UCF squads in the big10 and they have, minimum, 2-3 losses.  Recruiting wise......many of the kids they’d been evaluating while at UCF, it’s not like they had no idea who these kids were.  I think bigger than that the kids followed frost, and the recruits didn’t have a chance to evaluate the school/location.  MW was a unique situation that I think the coaches were well aware of the red flags but took a leap.  It backfired but just as easily could have worked out.  As pointed out many transition classes struggle more times than not. 

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

You can’t begin to compare the situations at UCF and NU.  For starters, ucf was only a few yrs removed from double digit win seasons, not the case here.  Our culture had been eroded over the last 20 yrs, UCF 3-4 yrs.  also, getting some wins early, this starting to build confidence leading to buy in, is much easier in the AAC then the big10.  You put those same UCF squads in the big10 and they have, minimum, 2-3 losses.  Recruiting wise......many of the kids they’d been evaluating while at UCF, it’s not like they had no idea who these kids were.  I think bigger than that the kids followed frost, and the recruits didn’t have a chance to evaluate the school/location.  MW was a unique situation that I think the coaches were well aware of the red flags but took a leap.  It backfired but just as easily could have worked out.  As pointed out many transition classes struggle more times than not. 

You daaaaamn right you can't begin to compare UCF and NU. For starters though, I need to correct you on your:

" ucf was only a few yrs removed from double digit win seasons, not the case here."

Bruh, UCF was 2 years removed from a 9 win season before Frost took over there just like Nebraska was 2 years removed from a 9 win season before Frost took over at Nebraska. Don't believe me? I'll show you! 452246058_FrostatNebraskaandUCF.thumb.png.ce24a0cb882fe593cc2f86c621dd95bf.png

So as you can see Nebraska may have regressed from 9 wins to 4 wins right before Frost took over, but UCF regressed from 9 wins to 0 wins! And 0 wins is waaaaay mothaf#&%in worse than 4 wins gotdammit! So I don't care WHAT you say about "Frost inheriting a better culture or team or situation or whatever at UCF than Nebraska". These numbers simply just don't lie. A team coming off of 0 wins is waaaay gotdamn worse than a team coming off of 4 wins. Period! 

And which UCF team are you saying would have went 9-3 in the Big Ten? The one from last year that literally just went 9-3 in their own conference or the one from 2017 that beat the Auburn team that destroyed both Alabama and Georgia (the two teams that played in the national championships that year)? Listen, I don't give a damn WHAT you're assuming with that one right there since it's irrelevant. Hell, you can throw "this and that" assumption all around the place but at the end of the day that 2017 UCF team that went undefeated beat a better team than anybody in the Big Ten that year! You're always more than welcome to say "this team would beat that team" since that's always a possibility in ANY game played in college football on ANY given Saturday, but I'm telling you now there's no clear "evidence" to back up your claim in regard to sticking with facts just from the 2017 season that UCF would have went 9-3 in the Big Ten. None. You can say that, but I won't damn believe you. And there's no evidence to back that up. Therefore, you might as well drop it since you can't win that argument and neither can I really. So enough with the "assumptions". I like to stick with straight fa...fa...FACTS when I debate and argue with people. 

And how the hell is Frost going to "evaluate" players in the middle of coaching a team to an unprecedented undefeated season (which is a veeeeerrry hard thing to do) from being winless just 2 seasons before? Literally ALL of his and his staff's focus was on their team that year keeping them focused and ignoring all the outside noises. Frost was not worried about no gotdamn recruits coming onto Nebraska that year and by the time he was even hired to Nebraska he STILL wasn't as you've seen he still went off to coach UCF's last game. He wasn't thinking about carefully evaluating "this 4 star" and "that 4 star" for a top 25 recruiting class at Nebraska. The ONLY player there's any proof and evidence of him recruiting before he got to Nebraska was Adrian Martinez which was the first player he gave an offer to literally the day he got hired at Nebraska and was the only player really offered that day. THAT'S how you know he was sure of a player he evaluated before he got to Nebraska. But MOST of his first year's players were recruited simply just in time for the early sign date which gave room for NO evaluation then, and due to the Auburn bowl game, NO evaluation even at the national sign date. 

And I don't give a damn about MW since they have nothing to do with Frost or where he's been. 

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, .1. said:

You daaaaamn right you can't begin to compare UCF and NU. For starters though, I need to correct you on your:

" ucf was only a few yrs removed from double digit win seasons, not the case here."

Bruh, UCF was 2 years removed from a 9 win season before Frost took over there just like Nebraska was 2 years removed from a 9 win season before Frost took over at Nebraska. Don't believe me? I'll show you! 452246058_FrostatNebraskaandUCF.thumb.png.ce24a0cb882fe593cc2f86c621dd95bf.png

So as you can see Nebraska may have regressed from 9 wins to 4 wins right before Frost took over, but UCF regressed from 9 wins to 0 wins! And 0 wins is waaaaay mothaf#&%in worse than 4 wins gotdammit! So I don't care WHAT you say about "Frost inheriting a better culture or team or situation or whatever at UCF than Nebraska". These numbers simply just don't lie. A team coming off of 0 wins is waaaay gotdamn worse than a team coming off of 4 wins. Period! 

And which UCF team are you saying would have went 9-3 in the Big Ten? The one from last year that literally just went 9-3 in their own conference or the one from 2017 that beat the Auburn team that destroyed both Alabama and Georgia (the two teams that played in the national championships that year)? Listen, I don't give a damn WHAT you're assuming with that one right there since it's irrelevant. Hell, you can throw "this and that" assumption all around the place but at the end of the day that 2017 UCF team that went undefeated beat a better team than anybody in the Big Ten that year! You're always more than welcome to say "this team would beat that team" since that's always a possibility in ANY game played in college football on ANY given Saturday, but I'm telling you now there's no clear "evidence" to back up your claim in regard to sticking with facts just from the 2017 season that UCF would have went 9-3 in the Big Ten. None. You can say that, but I won't damn believe you. And there's no evidence to back that up. Therefore, you might as well drop it since you can't win that argument and neither can I really. So enough with the "assumptions". I like to stick with straight fa...fa...FACTS when I debate and argue with people. 

And how the hell is Frost going to "evaluate" players in the middle of coaching a team to an unprecedented undefeated season (which is a veeeeerrry hard thing to do) from being winless just 2 seasons before? Literally ALL of his and his staff's focus was on their team that year keeping them focused and ignoring all the outside noises. Frost was not worried about no gotdamn recruits coming onto Nebraska that year and by the time he was even hired to Nebraska he STILL wasn't as you've seen he still went off to coach UCF's last game. He wasn't thinking about carefully evaluating "this 4 star" and "that 4 star" for a top 25 recruiting class at Nebraska. The ONLY player there's any proof and evidence of him recruiting before he got to Nebraska was Adrian Martinez which was the first player he gave an offer to literally the day he got hired at Nebraska and was the only player really offered that day. THAT'S how you know he was sure of a player he evaluated before he got to Nebraska. But MOST of his first year's players were recruited simply just in time for the early sign date which gave room for NO evaluation then, and due to the Auburn bowl game, NO evaluation even at the national sign date. 

And I don't give a damn about MW since they have nothing to do with Frost or where he's been. 

First, what I’m saying is it’s a tougher grind to go through the big10 than the aac.  Pretty indisputable and is different than beating 1-2 good teams a yr, think Boise st.  I’m not dismissing the accomplishments of that team but there is a reason a 1 loss pwr five school would have been in the playoff instead.  Do they go undefeated, 1 loss, 3.... I don’t know but would have been much harder.  My other point was momentum was easier to come by as you faced much easier schedule with UCF having better athletes.  Also, did UCF lose 60-70% of their prior class to transfer, or their first class....likely no.  Way to hard to compare the two.

on the recruiting side.  They’d been talking to a number of them just many of the hire rated players liked the staff but wasn’t going to commit to a g5 school, Nebraska changed that.  I know they were on Smith, legrone, and mo as well as others.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

First, what I’m saying is it’s a tougher grind to go through the big10 than the aac.  Pretty indisputable and is different than beating 1-2 good teams a yr, think Boise st.  I’m not dismissing the accomplishments of that team but there is a reason a 1 loss pwr five school would have been in the playoff instead.  Do they go undefeated, 1 loss, 3.... I don’t know but would have been much harder.  My other point was momentum was easier to come by as you faced much easier schedule with UCF having better athletes.  Also, did UCF lose 60-70% of their prior class to transfer, or their first class....likely no.  Way to hard to compare the two.

on the recruiting side.  They’d been talking to a number of them just many of the hire rated players liked the staff but wasn’t going to commit to a g5 school, Nebraska changed that.  I know they were on Smith, legrone, and mo as well as others.

Ok. Nooooow you're making somewhat of some sense. The Big Ten is obviously a tougher grind than the ACC, but let's be clear on something. 2017 UCF beat the next veeerrrry best team in the country that wasn't already in the playoffs and NOBODY from the Big Ten was that team. So that UCF team did the very best they could possibly do in beating the incredible Auburn team that destroyed the 2 best teams in the country that year. That's alllllll the hell they could do and like I said before, Auburn that year was obviously better than anybody in the Big Ten considering who they destroyed from the SEC that year. So it's easy to assume the UCF team that took them out would have beaten ANYBODY in the Big Ten that year too. 

Now with that said, I'll agree with your second point that of course it's more easy to gain momentum with an easy schedule, but you're missing the fact that Frost built an overall great team that year that could have contended with the very best in the country and win! You see they were good enough to beat Auburn. So if they had a schedule consisting of the Big Ten that year, there's evidence enough to say they "could have" won that conference. And they beat Auburn while making a ton of mistakes as well too where Milton was not even close playing to his best potential. 

And to your other point I got to ask, who lost 60-70% of their roster to transfer? Because I'm not sure about UCF when Frost inherited them but I sure as hell know Nebraska didn't. What could have caused it if that was even the case? Old coach getting fired? New coach getting hired? That happened when Frost took over UCF too. It's not like Nebraska had any "scandals" and such that would cause such a huge turnover. So what happened?!?!

We used the same damn clumbsy a$$ players in Frost's first year that got Mike Riley's a$$ fired - that kicker who had the ability to kick for negative yardage whether it was at kickoff or for punts, those bone-headed mistake making a$$ players Frost had to kick off the team his first year he was here, etc. They were all here on this mothaf#&%in team making the same mothaf#&%in 4-8 a$$ season happen again that got Riley's a$$ fired and ruined Frost's first season here. 

And You say Frost and staff have been "talking" to some of the recruits they brought onto Nebraska while at UCF? Well gotdammit man they needed to do more than just "talk". They need to do "VISITS" and "EVALUATION" of these players. Needed to see what kind of f#&%ing "PERSON" they are. See what they actual do on the field for 4 quarters with their own gotdamn eyes man. See what their criminal history is. See what their grades are. See their leadership (or follower) skills are, etc. Frost and staff didn't have time to do NONE of that s#!t while they were coaching the best 2 year turnaround in college football history! s#!t these mothaf#&%in coaches "talk" to hundreds of mothaf#&%in kids every year *pause* but they only sign around about gotdamn 25 of them. 

12 hours ago, .1. said:

Conveniently you left out the 2012/13 seasons which were both double digit years. So it's stillt so different scenarios.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

Conveniently you left out the 2012/13 seasons which were both double digit years. So it's stillt so different scenarios.

Do they matter? I mean s#!t man how much does even matter if you have both programs regressing from 9 wins to fewer wins in the 2 seasons before Frost took both of them over? How a program performs for the last few years is most indicative of who they are. Period. When a program is trending down, then they are trending the f#&% down! Doesn't matter how great they were doing before. Doesn't matter how many wins or "double digit" victories they had before. When they are trending down, it's hard hard haaaaarrd to bring them back up. Conversely when they're trending up, then you can gain some momentum and keep it going if you're a good enough coach. It tends to get "easier" when the program is already gradually progressing up from the last few years you inherited them. Let me give you some examples of what I'm talking about.

Here is USC, FSU, and Oregon respectively and their last few seasons before their down periods:

1997945663_USCFSUOregon.thumb.png.73ecd0631b269d5cfe7b7cfc0d147447.png

Now when you look at this, notice it didn't matter what the f#&% they did before they regressed in win total. It didn't HOW many gotdamn wins or "double digit wins" they had before they started to trend down. When they started trending down it became hard like hell for them to be revitalized after they start trending down. So going back to the Nebraska and UCF scenario, both programs already started trending down in which it was already hard to bring that back off of that downward spiral. It didn't matter what they did before they started trending down. It didn't matter how many wins UCF got a few years before they started trending down and neither did it matter for Nebraska. The point is that they were in fact officially trending down to where it became a tough mission to bring them back. That's always the case when you have that happening. Frost even said after his Auburn victory to his players in the locker room right after "I inherited a group of guys (in UCF) that didn't even want to be in the damn building...." which tells you how screwed THEY were when he inherited them. So if anything, they were more f#&%ED than when he inherited Nebraska going by his words and definitely going by their record. 

50 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Serious question @.1. do you cuss this much on a message board because it makes you look cool?

It helps to make people see your most important gotdamn points. Because sometimes you got some ignorant mothaf#&%as on here that want to try to act all oblivious in this sum b!^@h like they didn't catch what the f#&% I had said the first time I typed it out. So when you say it to them like THAT it makes it to where the only thing they can do is either sit back and shut up because you made too much damn sense or it forces them to have to acknowledge your most trenchant points you made in their NEXT gotdamn post. 

You see I don't like to f#&% around when I type. When I say some s#!t I mean it. I already type to gotdamn long as it is for mothaf#&%as to sit here and act like they don't know what the f#&% I'm talking about or like they didn't catch what the f#&% I had just gotdamn said before in the last messaged I typed. 

And any freaking body that knows me from ANYWHERE..... on ANY gotdamn forums.... on ANY gotdamn message boards...... already knows this is how the f#&% I gotdamn type. Because I say s#!t coming from the heart. I say s#!t with some damn passion in it but I also like to make got some gotdamn sense when I type too. You see I'm always up here making some damn sense don't you? Well alright then. Sometimes the only thing you can tell somebody is to have a coke and a smile and shut the f#&% up. Enjoy the show. 

3 hours ago, .1. said:

It helps to make people see your most important gotdamn points. Because sometimes you got some ignorant mothaf#&%as on here that want to try to act all oblivious in this sum b!^@h like they didn't catch what the f#&% I had said the first time I typed it out. So when you say it to them like THAT it makes it to where the only thing they can do is either sit back and shut up because you made too much damn sense or it forces them to have to acknowledge your most trenchant points you made in their NEXT gotdamn post. 

You see I don't like to f#&% around when I type. When I say some s#!t I mean it. I already type to gotdamn long as it is for mothaf#&%as to sit here and act like they don't know what the f#&% I'm talking about or like they didn't catch what the f#&% I had just gotdamn said before in the last messaged I typed. 

And any freaking body that knows me from ANYWHERE..... on ANY gotdamn forums.... on ANY gotdamn message boards...... already knows this is how the f#&% I gotdamn type. Because I say s#!t coming from the heart. I say s#!t with some damn passion in it but I also like to make got some gotdamn sense when I type too. You see I'm always up here making some damn sense don't you? Well alright then. Sometimes the only thing you can tell somebody is to have a coke and a smile and shut the f#&% up. Enjoy the show. 

What are you talking about?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 6