Should Frost hand off play calling?

NUance

Should Frost hand off play calling to Lubick?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 minutes ago, funhusker said:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahhah

Hahaha.   At $5 million a year Frost is getting a mere $800 per hour assuming he works 120 hrs a week every day of the year!   As a football coach.  
I don’t begrudge him making all he’s worth but let’s not feel sorry for his hefty workload.  
The assistants are making more than Osborne did I believe for most of his tenure.  I guessing about half the staff etc at that time and lots more frequent flyer miles sitting in airports and hailing cabs. Frost has his own private jet.  

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Hahaha.   At $5 million a year Frost is getting a mere $800 per hour assuming he works 120 hrs a week every day of the year!   As a football coach.  
I don’t begrudge him making all he’s worth but let’s not feel sorry for his hefty workload.  
The assistants are making more than Osborne did I believe for most of his tenure.  I guessing about half the staff etc at that time and lots more frequent flyer miles sitting in airports and hailing cabs. Frost has his own private jet.  

I don't feel sorry for him by any means.  But to think he works 8 months a year is laughable.

• Plus1 5

I think we need a CEO to take a big picture look and not get bogged down wt the details during the game.  Hire the very best and skilled play caller that has your same philosophy and game plan together - then let the OC take over and call the game. Then Frost can spend adequate time to also assist the DC during the game and give guidance.  As I recall, Frost couldn't get the right call to the kicking team towards the end of the Iowa game - due to his involvement wt the offense. That led to the big return when we kicked deep and should not have.  

Let the DC, OC, ST guys get deep into the details but Frost should be free to see above it all and give proper guidance and if need be override the game plan if the the game isn't going according to the plan.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

With no current sports to watch, people are queuing up the way-back machine.  Somewhere down that path they got to the 1994 Orange Bowl (1993 season).  Daming Benning pointed out they had first and goal from the four ... and had to kick a field goal.

That piqued my interest given some of our discussions from this past year.  So I had to check it out.

National Championship game

Two minutes to play

Down by two

Behind the Pipeline

With Lawrence Phillips in the backfield

Run the ball three straight times

Lose five yards

#JustRunTheDamnBall

#Don'tGetTooCute

Also, I've long been amazed at how much the end of the 2009 Big XII Championship game mirrored the end of the 1994 Orange Bowl.

Kick a field goal late to take the lead

Ensuing kickoff out of bounds

Personal foul on the Husker defense aids the opponent on their game-winning drive

Add one second back to the clock at the end to allow for another field goal attempt

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

We ran the ball at a pretty high percentage.  I’m curious, do really stupid play calling include plays that were good calls yet didn’t yield results because of missed blocks or dropped balls.

Right, it's one of those things where a bad call can look good and vice versa depending on the players. To be honest, I've heard very few critiques with any specifics other than the goal line at Purdue, and a general "obviously they're bad playcalls because we didn't score." "Too many screens" as well, but watching that compilation of all of them there really weren't that many. I don't think we can draw a complete conclusion on Frost's playcalling based on one year.

11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Right, it's one of those things where a bad call can look good and vice versa depending on the players. To be honest, I've heard very few critiques with any specifics other than the goal line at Purdue, and a general "obviously they're bad playcalls because we didn't score." "Too many screens" as well, but watching that compilation of all of them there really weren't that many. I don't think we can draw a complete conclusion on Frost's playcalling based on one year.

Several points to weigh:

1.  Play calling does include the overall scheme / type of offense and formations etc to some critics.   Some feel that it is much more than simply run vs pass stats and there are many types of each category.  Some runs work better than others depending on circumstances.  

2.   Blocking techniques and power formations vs run from passing sets and vice versa. 

3.   Down and distance when runs vs passes are called and defensive alignments / strengths & weaknesses relatively between teams etc. 

4.  Overall, play calling is often more “art and feel” (intuitive) than random or even science.  

I dont think we have nearly enough data (just two short seasons) under tough circumstances with talent, systemic changes etc.  
The offense has moved the ball fairly well at times stat 

wise but inconsistent too often.  Red zone scoring and point production was subpar but field position has been subpar which usually negatively impacts offensive success.  

Frost needs more time before we should blame playcalling unduely.

• Fire 1