Bo to LSU?

TGHusker

Stop me if you've heard stuff like this about Pelini before...

Calls for former Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini's firing begin at Youngstown State

Bo Pelini has worn out his welcome with some Youngstown State fans. The former Nebraska football head coach is in the midst of his fifth season with the Penguins.

After a successful start to his FCS career, including an appearance in that level of football's championship game, his teams haven't won more than six games in any season since. This year, YSU is 5-4.

The problem, some fans have is that Pelini's defense isn't playing very well. The team has also lost four of their last five, after starting the 2019 season 4-0.

In the team's latest loss, they were outscored 56-17. That's a follow up to 21-14, 38-28, and 35-10 losses. Their only win in their last five is against Western Illinois, a 59-14 victory.

The Penguins are just 1-4 in the Missouri Valley Conference, and that has fans on the team's message board talking about getting rid of the former Nebraska football head man.

Here's some good reading about Pelini from YSU fans. Seems a lot are OK with him leaving.

YSU Penguins Board

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

:lol:       Some bad calls would render him non-functional for the rest of the game.

Point taken as a HC.  It's certainly hard to play on the ledge all the time, fired up emotionally.  Sometimes it gets 2003 Michigan State results, many times it gets results as you have alluded to.  However, I won't judge him based on a game like the College Station Big XII hose job fiasco with the officiating.  Even national writers commented on that petty display by Dan Beebe's minions.  I remember Matt Davison on the radio trying his best not to curse them out.  That was as bad of officiating calls as Saints/Rams.

• Plus1 2

Ok maybe Carl was the good defensive coach, i just remember our defense being good while Bo was here, and it would be hard for anyone to adjust their defense from the Big12 to the Big10.  Which is when he had some struggles.  If he cared for recruiting he would be pretty good.  Personally, i didnt mind his temper.  Its a passionate game.  And most the time he really went off were times he should have been mad.  There was some bs stuff we endured that last year in the big12.  

14 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

I'm surprised at how many people have the opinion that bo is a bad dc. We did not have the defensive personnel to stop people in the big 10, you would think this would be common sense.  He was still top 40 every year in yards allowed (30-40).  He just couldn't recruit and is not a good head coach.  People need to think logically for once 

Bo was a good Defensive Coordinator - in 2007 through about 2010.

Then people figured out his defense, made changes to how they attacked it, and he couldn't adjust.

A good DC doesn't get gashed on the ground year after year after year after year. They diagnose the problem in their scheme and fix it.

If it's a matter of personnel - that's on Bo, too. He's the coach, he's recruiting these guys.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Bo was a good Defensive Coordinator - in 2007 through about 2010.

Then people figured out his defense, made changes to how they attacked it, and he couldn't adjust.

A good DC doesn't get gashed on the ground year after year after year after year. They diagnose the problem in their scheme and fix it.

If it's a matter of personnel - that's on Bo, too. He's the coach, he's recruiting these guys.

This.  The Jet Sweep is his kryptonite.  I still have PTSD when I see Melvin Gordon.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

He did call a timeout and immediately stopped Zach Zenner from Melvin Gordon‘ing the defense before Melvin Gordon did. With that said, I do agree that his defenses were gashed by the ground game too often. 

There’s also a thread dedicated entirely to burying QBs - which was nearly each one he game-planned against. 

Remember how Pelini's name used to come up every time a D1 head coaching job opened?  This happened for two or three years after he got canned from NU.  But he never got hired for any of those open HC jobs.  There's a reason for that

Yeah, but it might not be the one you are espousing.  It may have been because he was earning big time Nebraska money while head coaching in his hometown and allowing his kids to attend the high school he most wanted them to attend.  He was content to stay at Youngstown, cash NU checks and be back in the old neighborhood.  I think Pelini was looking for a way out of Nebraska without giving up his contract money.  He saw Carl resign at FAU and lose his money by not waiting to be fired, so it is my speculation he did his best to get fired so he could go back to Youngstown and get his kids enrolled in Carl Mooney High School and still get paid a pretty penny.

9 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Ahh when winning doesn't matter because you got your little feelings hurt by the bad man.

Yes his 9 wins a year beating a watered down big 10 and his whale trophy.  Any reasonable person can see his 9 wins was, and had been, in serious jeopardy for at least a few yrs.  as the big10 got better no way he kept that up.  He’s a clown and isn’t HC or dc at a pwr five material.....my proof.  After what....yr five.....he’s barely holding onto coaching a big Hs in northern Ohio.

• Plus1 1