Bo to LSU?

TGHusker

Watching games from the Bo years,  I can’t believe how good we were every year. I mean 9 wins is a lot. And we had talent- lots of it. I think I’ve mis-remembered a lot of his tenure. 

Sure there was a lopsided loss to Wisconsin- that was embarrassing- but there was plenty of good too. 

The criticism of the fans never bothered me, we are obnoxious and deserved it. And  I was glad we had a coach who felt losses, particularly right after they happened. The troubling thing for me was the escalation of his behavior. He’s a flame that burns our early. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Watching games from the Bo years,  I can’t believe how good we were every year. I mean 9 wins is a lot. And we had talent- lots of it. I think I’ve mis-remembered a lot of his tenure. 

Sure there was a lopsided loss to Wisconsin- that was embarrassing- but there was plenty of good too. 

The criticism of the fans never bothered me, we are obnoxious and deserved it. And  I was glad we had a coach who felt losses, particularly right after they happened. The troubling thing for me was the escalation of his behavior. He’s a flame that burns our early. 

Agree with a lot of this. Looking back at Pelini years we put a fair amount of guys in the NFL. However his last couple recruiting classes fell down a bit and then the talent drain under Riley and during the transition was brutal. I think the escalation of his behavior started to hurt his recruiting on the end. I mean guys seem him explode on the sidelines at players and that doesn't help. 

5 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Agree with a lot of this. Looking back at Pelini years we put a fair amount of guys in the NFL. However his last couple recruiting classes fell down a bit and then the talent drain under Riley and during the transition was brutal. I think the escalation of his behavior started to hurt his recruiting on the end. I mean guys seem him explode on the sidelines at players and that doesn't help. 

We has least two in Thursday nights game: Janowich and Freedom. Fun game. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I'm still disappointed Bo didn't work out. I wanted him to succeed here really, really bad.

For all the bad behavior and blowout losses though, I think his ultimate failing was development. I never really felt the same about the program he ran following that 2010 season. It started to feel like a team just sort of going through the paces, never really reaching their potential but also never falling far from it. Basically like getting a B average over and over again.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

For all the bad behavior and blowout losses though, I think his ultimate failing was development. I never really felt the same about the program he ran following that 2010 season. It started to feel like a team just sort of going through the paces, never really reaching their potential but also never falling far from it. Basically like getting a B average over and over again.

2012 is when I began feeling the hump was more like a 100ft wall.  By the end I was ready for a change, but I'd went so All In on Bo my fandom took a major hit because the following hire was so uninspiring.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The craziest thing about Bo was that he was never able to recruit based off Ndamukong Suh's success. He had a perfect pitch - look at what this guy was when I got here, and look what I helped turn him into. And yet that position was a black hole for him after Suh.

100% agree. The overall failings along the defensive line in general were staggering and eye-opening. The entire 2010 defensive line didn't pan out, an absolute disaster when taken into context of joining a league as powerful in the trenches as the B1G tends to be.

11 minutes ago, Redux said:

2012 is when I began feeling the hump was more like a 100ft wall.  By the end I was ready for a change, but I'd went so All In on Bo my fandom took a major hit because the following hire was so uninspiring.

You're not alone. The one thing I tried to do during the Riley years was keep in perspective that a complete failure of a hire didn't necessarily mean it was wrong to get rid of BP. On a personal note, it was like the time I broke up with a girlfriend I'd had for multiple years. I started to date someone new not long after who broke my heart, and it got me thinking during the heartbreak that hey... maybe that old girlfriend wasn't so bad? Was I being too rash and impulsive to leave her?

And no, she hadn't been that bad, but she also hadn't been that great. I can easily look back now and say it was the right call to leave her.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

And yet that position was a black hole for him after Suh.

Save for Maliek Collins & Vince Valentine, IMO. A Top 5 game from the Bo era for me was 2015  2014against Miami at home, which had both of those guys, Randy Gregory, Josh Mitchell, & Nate Gerry.

That game could probably be argued as being the nastiest home game atmosphere in the post-Solich era. Has to be at least top 3 anyway.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Save for Maliek Collins & Vince Valentine, IMO. A Top 5 game from the Bo era for me was 2015 against Miami at home, which had both of those guys, Randy Gregory, Josh Mitchell, & Nate Gerry.

That game could probably be argued as being the nastiest home game atmosphere in the post-Solich era. Has to be at least top 3 anyway.

You mean Bo era players? That 2015 home game was Riley.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Undone said:

Save for Maliek Collins & Vince Valentine, IMO. A Top 5 game from the Bo era  post-Solich era for me was 2015 against Miami at home, which had both of those guys, Randy Gregory, Josh Mitchell, & Nate Gerry.

Weren't the Davis twins his recruits?  They are in the NFL too...

• Plus1 2